Details Don't Add Up In Story About Mother's Game Addiction

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I'm intruiged to know where the truth lies, though if the oldest kid is 13 years old, did THEY not notice the dead dogs? Why did the dogs not make any sounds when starving?

Nothign adds up

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Not just the Daily Mail. This was the front page of that beautiful read, the Metro this morning.

wow just wow this is going to spread like wild fire with only non gamers trying to hose this down of course board games aren't evil but computer games oh no. let's just say for a moment this is true the problem doesn't have anything to do with the game but with the women I can't think of a single person who has ever been addicted to a board game.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
As said by others above, this is to be expected rom the Daily (Hate)mail.

If it's sensationalist enough to cause the over 50's to choke on their cornflakes they'll print it. Facts and research really aren't required, as long as the story has a strong enough 'What is the world coming to? Thank god we don't live near poor people Doris' feeling.

I'm a little surprised it hasn't found a way to link this to immigrants, house prices, homosexuals (or anything else that could be considered a minority) or the Liberal Democrats as they all tend to be their favourite punching bags.

Remember folks, it's definitely not a bigoted paper, it didn't support the BNP and my, didn't they make a fuss of that fact!

*deep breath*

That said, any game that causes this (supposed) level of addiction is something I want to know more about.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
How do these tabloids still have any credibility? I think at this point they're just trying to see what they can get away with.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Oh really? But the article was so convincing, with the decaying canine carcasses and all. Are you guys sure it was all made up, cuz I heard that "The Daily Mail" was more reliable than a billion horoscopes and all of Nostradamus's stuff put together...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
I thought this story would be too crazy to be completely true.

Will newspapers ever get it right, and tell the full truth without being bias...

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
It's almost like England has it out against the US and gaming.
Well we have no proof about the US thing
Except the Revolutionary War, and the War of 1812(I know, America declared it)
Or the gaming thing
Daily Star/sun/astrological newspaper-thingy; old British women are used as stereotypes against gaming for a reason.

OT:
It astounds me that the whole country of England/UK-land hasn't put their newspapers under a magnifying glass yet, they have a really bad history of doing this stupid stuff. i.e. making up alot and reporting alittle.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Alpha Centauri said:
Daily Mail.uk

UK's Fox News? I don't know, I'm not British
Yep, just about. Hates foreigners, paedophiles. Loves half naked celebrities. Especially young ones.
Thing is they print so many pictures of naked or scantily clad women, but don't admit to it like The Sun and it's ilk do. They print them beside stories like "Nation's moral fibre erodes as more young women pose naked for newspapers"

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Seems to me that some writer was getting tired of whatever story he/she was being stuck with, and chose to go out and "cry wolf," so to speak, in order to get some credibility. That's just my speculation from what I can tell from this article about the story. And if that were the case, then let's consider this "journalist" fired and blackballed from working in journalism.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Magnalian said:
How do these tabloids still have any credibility? I think at this point they're just trying to see what they can get away with.
The story is actually true and has already gone through court

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/13/mail-implicates-unrelated-games-in-tragedy/

If you?re not aware, core stories are often sourced by agencies, then sold to newspapers who change them to their style and add elements of their own. I wrote to Roger, the writer of the original piece, which included the name ?Small World? but no further details on the game, who responded?

I?ve already been contacted by the Daily Mail on this ? indeed I did a check
with the reporter who supplied the story yesterday afternoon after a query
from The Sun.

The best I can tell you is that the judge and lawyers all referred in court
to a game called Small World ? not Worlds. Whether they were wrong in the
way they were referring to it we cant say. Going on your comments it sounds
as if they may have been.

The reporter could only go on what was said in court though. That is of
course privileged, and if he had changed it to another name he would have
been laying himself open to trouble if he changed it wrongly.

He?s not a computer games player so he wouldn?t be up on the finer computer
game points you?ve mentioned.

Afraid that?s the best I can tell you.

In other words, if an apparent error in court filters down and everyone takes it on face-value, with the newspapers who buy the core story seeming to lack the knowledge ? or failed in their research ? to realise that it must be a mistake. Of course, this doesn?t explain the Warhammer image, so we?ll keep you up to date on that.

EDIT 2: The Warhammer image has been removed, apparently at the bequest of Games Workshop IP Lawyers.

The only mistakes were unrelated game images and the game is called "small world" not "small worlds"

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Alpha Centauri said:
Daily Mail.uk

UK's Fox News? I don't know, I'm not British
Yep, just about. Hates foreigners, paedophiles. Loves half naked celebrities. Especially young ones.
actually daily mail is the only newspaper designed with women in mind, so there are none of the page 3 ladies. take it from a paper boy.

OT: daily mail lies, bears po in the woods and pigs don't fly. Huh, just another day.

rosac

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Good god, what is this newspaper's damage towards video games? Oh sure its a red letter topic that is certain to garner attention, but even Fox News takes breaks from calling Obama a terrorist.

How the hell is this paper even allowed to still exist if (what I hear from our neighbors across the pond) they consistently print falsified stories? It's one thing to be a tabloid that is pretty much assumed to be fake on all levels but these people bold faced go about telling lies and presenting them as actual news.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
You're American, so I'll forgive you as you may not know, but if ever the words "Daily Mail" appear as the source of the story then it'd be an inconsistency if the source article itself wasn't full of inconsistencies.

Think Fox News, but in newspaper format.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Not just the Daily Mail. This was the front page of that beautiful read, the Metro this morning.

That makes it even worse, the Daily Mail said the kids had to eat the beans with their fingers... now according to the Metro they weren't even able to use fingers and had to drink them!
Daily Mail makes journalists cry...

Hgame

Sep 3, 2010
Jbird said:
Seems to me that some writer was getting tired of whatever story he/she was being stuck with, and chose to go out and "cry wolf," so to speak, in order to get some credibility. That's just my speculation from what I can tell from this article about the story. And if that were the case, then let's consider this "journalist" fired and blackballed from working in journalism.
The problem is, in the Daily Mail journalists like that get rewarded.