Detective Pikachu Movie Finds its Director

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Detective Pikachu Movie Finds its Director

<youtube=KonKZlqznIg>

Well, at least he has experience with animation.

The Detective Pikachu movie took another step toward production, as it has found its director. Goosebumps [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/rob+letterman][/i] movie, has been tapped by Legendary, the studio producing the movie.

Letterman's resume is filled with some animation, which should bode well for a live-action/animated hybrid. Pikachu should look pretty good, at least. Apart from the CGI-filled Goosebumps, Letterman was also a co-director on Gulliver's Travels [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_vs._Aliens].

As far as I'm concerned, that's a pretty poor track record. There isn't really a good movie among the batch, and a couple of them are pretty terrible. Should this inspire confidence in the Detective Pikachu movie? Because I'm not feeling anything close to that.

Detective Pikachu (title pending) doesn't currently have a release date, but mid-to-late 2018 wouldn't be an unreasonable assumption.

Source: Collider [http://collider.com/detective-pikachu-movie-director-rob-letterman/]

[gallery=6648]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The only way I'll accept this movie as being a thing is if they get Danny DeVito to voice Pikachu. :^)

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Well... I liked Monsters vs. Aliens at least. And Pikachu is a monster technically.

The best thing about this though is that it's Pokemon media I can watch that doesn't have Ash in it.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Is anyone expecting Detective Pikachu to be a good movie?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
It's being penned by Alex Hirsch and Nicole Perlman. There's hope for this.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:
The only way I'll accept this movie as being a thing is if they get Danny DeVito to voice Pikachu. :^)
Gilbert Gottfried or GTFO!
While Gilbert's voice would be great coming out of a cute little Pikachu, I like DeVito's better since he would make Pikachu sound like a dirty little sleaze-ball. :p

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:
While Gilbert's voice would be great coming out of a cute little Pikachu, I like DeVito's better since he would make Pikachu sound like a dirty little sleaze-ball. :p
How about a compromise? DeVito can be Pikachu, but Gottfriend gets to be the Farfetch'd Chief of Police.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:
How about a compromise? DeVito can be Pikachu, but Gottfriend gets to be the Farfetch'd Chief of Police.
That's a movie I would actually pay to see in theaters. :^)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Silentpony said:
RJ 17 said:
Well y'see, Danny DeVito is already kind of a fan favorite for the role [https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-nintendo-of-america-get-danny-devito-to-voice-the-english-version-of-detective-pikachu]. I mean, the chances of getting either of them is exceptionally slim, but DeVito is still far more likely.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Seriously though I bet the movie would sell like hotcakes if they got a name like Danny DeVito in it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Wait, this is an American movie?

Edit: It is...WHY!?

Yeah, Im out. Ciao. Sayonara, Adios, and goodbye.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Saelune said:
Wait, this is an American movie?

Edit: It is...WHY!?

Yeah, Im out. Ciao. Sayonara, Adios, and goodbye.
But it has Alex Hirsch and Nicole Perlman writing this. If she can make a giant sentient walking tree that only knows three words a fan favorite then I think she can pull this off.