Dethroning Modern Warfare 2 and Halo 3

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
Today some friends and I were discussing the big multiplayer shooters of today. There is of course the titanic Modern Warfare 2 and the less titanic but still popular Halo 3. Later this year we will see the release of Call of Duty: Black Ops and Halo: Reach. Essentially these will just boil down to new versions of what we already have.

Escapists what are your opinions on these things? Do you think that Black Ops will take over from Modern Warfare in november or will it just kind of fade into the woodwork like World at War. And what about Halo: Reach, do you think it will replace Halo 3, or possibly even Call of Duty?

I say that Reach will be the new halo 3 but Modern Warfare 2 will remain the king of the online shooters in the multiplayer market.

Note: I'm a Team Fortress 2 player so I feel that I am unbiased with this statement.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah I think most of us expected MW2 to stay at the top of the COD series and for Halo: Reach to be the most significant online achievement for the 360 since Xbox Live.

Anyone else care to state the obvious?

Hokutan

Sep 4, 2009
I think Reach will become the new king of FPS's for a long time considering how well Halo 3 did and how long Halo fans have gone without a new game. I think Black ops will do really well and hopefully kill off MW2 but that's just my two cents.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
MW2 is still going to be the top multiplayer game even though I'll keep seeing threads of people bitching about it. Reach may have some moderate success but in the end might just become another bland game with that will sell because the Halo name is attached to it.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
MercurySteam said:
Yeah I think most of us expected MW2 to stay at the top of the COD series and for Halo: Reach to be the most significant online achievement for the 360 since Xbox Live.

Fire is hot.
Don't hug cacti.
To play a DVD put it in a DVD player.
et cetera

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
MercurySteam said:

Fire is hot.
Don't hug cacti.
et cetera
"White is not black, down is not up, and straw is not gold" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock 2.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
WHY AM I ONLY LEARNING THIS NOW!

Well, I personally hope both of them do well. Though I'd prefer my pretty Halo Reach to have more players so i'll never have to wait ages for a match when I buy it. Unlike Black Ops, which I don't want to buy due to me not liking how Activision operates.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
I think black ops might be something new but chances are its going to be more of the same, Reach on the other hand I have a feeling will tank, I played the beta and it got old after a couple days it just seems that they can't change it enough not to be anything more than eneric space shooter.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
MW2 was never the King of online shooters in my opinion. Sure, it has a tonne of players, but the multiplayer was pretty poor.

I enjoyed the REACH BETA, but I think the game itself will end up being pretty poor. Which is a shame, because the team clearly worked hard on that one.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Perhaps we might see a new Commer arise?.
Doubtful but i love my Red Orchestra, your a big huge Star in my eyes Kiddo.

I always fancied the idea of a 40k Shooter, i really liked fire warrior.

viralshag said:
Why no mention of BF: Bad Company?

When I got that I converted away from Modern Warefare. I think the online at least is a lot more fun.
Because its the Third one, the Bronze one, and when do people remember or even mention Bronze medalists?

Like Darren Sutherland ectera.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
If MW 2 wasnt so damn messed up I would probly like it more. And I must say after playing the Halo Reach Beta it is more than a "another bland game".

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
MW2 was never the King of online shooters in my opinion. Sure, it has a tonne of players, but the multiplayer was pretty poor.

I enjoyed the REACH BETA, but I think the game itself will end up being pretty poor. Which is a shame, because the team clearly worked hard on that one.
MW2 pretty much has the most players, making it King, even though it is poor.

Second, I don't understand your second part. Good beta -> bad game? I know there is gonna be a lot of changes, not all of them good, but I see no reason to be pessimistic about it.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
DVSAurion said:
SextusMaximus said:

MW2 pretty much has the most players, making it King, even though it is poor.

Second, I don't understand your second part. Good beta -> bad game? I know there is gonna be a lot of changes, not all of them good, but I see no reason to be pessimistic about it.
Sorry, I was making two seperate points.

What I meant was, from the developer commentaries - the game doesn't look as good as I'd hoped. But hey, I might well be surprised! (I loved H3 btw).

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I don't know which will sell better, though I get the feeling Halo: Reach has a strong chance, but I do know that the only one that takes my interest is Halo: Reach.
I played the beta and in addition to great graphics and some genuienly well put together gameplay mechanics and the awesomeness of playing as an Elite, I know which team I'm backing up and it's team Halo.

Honestly though, I think Halo: Reach will at least top Halo 3, though I can't comment further on Call of Duty.

Sep 9, 2007
Pandalisk said:

You WHAT!? :p

I don't play very many shooters (mainly CoD 4 and Quake 3), but the new Medal of Honor looks like it could be interesting.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
The Eupho Guy said:
Pandalisk said:

You WHAT!? :p

I don't play very many shooters (mainly CoD 4 and Quake 3), but the new Medal of Honor looks like it could be interesting.
Dont you have any love for Red Orchestra's Crappy aiming or Fire warriors Blandness?

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
In terms of popularity they probably will but it does not make them the kings of FPS in regards to quality.

Enemy Territory and Enemy Territory Quake Wars are in my opinion the two best MP games of the decade. Sad that hardly no one has heard of them, especially Quake Wars.