Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut. Is it worth it?

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
I'm planning on playing through the Deus Ex games (with the exception of The Fall) next year. Now I already own Human Revolution and the Tong Pre-Order mission and Missing Link DLC and I'm wondering if the Director's Cut is worth getting. I've seen it used for around ?10, also if you get it used is everything still included? I've heard it fixes the boss fights and improves some other stuff but I'm wondering if it's actually worth getting or if I just stick with what I have especially seeing as I already have the Tong Mission and Missing Link.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
I thought it was worth it, but then, I didn't own the original Human Revolution...

Umm... if you've already got the DLC, I'm not sure that it is. I think that pretty much the only thing that is improved outside of that stuff are the boss fights. I guess if you REALLY struggle with them, to the point that you're fine paying ten bucks to make life easier on your Stealthy McNinjensen, then yeah, but other than that...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Knight Captain Kerr said:
I've heard it fixes the boss fights and improves some other stuff but I'm wondering if it's actually worth getting or if I just stick with what I have especially seeing as I already have the Tong Mission and Missing Link.
I played DE:HR by playing the original and the DLC and everything. Slightly after, I read that Director's Cut fixes the boss fights and the Missing Link. When I read that, I also bough Director's Cut (it was on deep sale).

Whatever it does to improve those it's going to be worth it - I loved DE:HR but the bossfights are bullshit if you want go for a less murderous approach. The Missing Link is a good DLC but...lacks a bit of polish - if they've added more polish, it'd be great. What I've heard is that Director's Cut integrates it better in the campaign. And that'd be very welcome, too. Without spoiling too much, the DLC takes place in the middle of the original game. Well, more like after the middle but anyway, it's not actually referenced after at all, However, it also contribute towards the ending.

I've not played it yet, as I had pretty much just finished the game, and I wanted to wait to replay it, but I think it might be worth it. However, it's probably not a huge loss to not get it - the game is pretty good without them. Really, it's just the boss battles and the the DLC integration that I found were a bit rough but not really that big of a deal.

Ronald Nand

Jan 6, 2013
Given that you played all the DLC before, the only value your getting from Directors Cut is: the integration of DLC, improved boss fights, new game plus and the pre-order weapons.

The boss fights are okay, the arena for the fight is bigger and you have the option of activating some turrets and robots to kill the boss for you, its always fun watching your enemies get shot by a turret you hacked. But you still have to kill them by shooting them essentially, you can't kill them with a sneak attack or avoid them. The dev team did the best job they could with the boss fights without making new boss fights entirely. So the bosses are better but still the weakest part of the game in my opinion.

I recommend picking it up during a Steam Sale, like maybe when its $5-$10, the DLC is integrated in the main game smoothly, and you can now play stealth without having to keep a weapon like the explosive revolver in your inventory for the bosses, plus there's new game plus and the pre-order weapons too.

Also I know it gets a bad reputation but The Fall is not that bad of a game, its godawful if you play Deus Ex for the combat and shooting, but its a decent game if you play Deus Ex for the sneaking and stealth. There's always one or two routes to get around enemies and the enemy AI is okay for a sneaking, the maps are small and there's no jump though.

It's nowhere near the quality of Human Revolution but its still decent, I picked it up for about $2 during a sale and I enjoyed it, so I recommend you buy that during a deep discount sale.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I thought it was worth it, though admittedly I found it on Steam for like $4.99 so it was sort of a "why not?" situation.

Anyway, yes, it improves the boss fights dramatically, and makes some small but really nice changes (you can now recharge up to 2 energy bars instead of one, for example).

I liked the Missing Link, I don't want to spoil it, but let's just say you're going to have to learn to adapt to some changes when it takes place.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
I'm playing through the WiiU version right now and own and finished the PS3 version with no DLC, so here are my two cents, but keep in mind that some differences may come from playing on different pieces of hardware:

When it comes to presentation and eye candy, the differences are minimal, but I prefer the old version: the Director cut doesn't have the yellow tint that covered everything, which improves the game's color palette, and thee graphics are more sharp: problem is, this added sharpness forces the games engine to show its age as its rough edges and limitations have become much more visible.
EDIT: forgot to mention something: the annoying textures pop-up effect (where the game is covered in very low res textures -or no texture at all- during a few seconds while the high-res textures are loading) is completely gone.

When it comes to the game's interface, the Director's cut wins easily, but it may be linked to the fact that I own the WiiU version, which actually uses competently the gamepad.

The DLCs are perfectly integrated in the overarching stories: the added missions have been turned into main quests which you're bound to make: if anything, it makes the original vanilla version looks like it had been deliberately kept incomplete.

The boss fights themselves are not that improved: it's the arenas where you fight them which have been expanded and allow for more creative strategy, but they may have made them too easy: Remember Barrett, who was virtually impossible to beat if you had a stealth build? I Finished him with the puny 10mm pistol, and didn't even get a single wound during the fight.

The mooks' AIs are still ridiculously stupid, though, and the loading times remain long enough to be annoying.

I'd say the director cut is more enjoyable, and I don't regret spending 20 bucks to get the game, but then again, I never bought the DLCs, so your mileage may vary compared to mine.

ViridianV6

Sep 15, 2013
I got pretty bad performance from DE:HR Director's Cut compared to the original, to the extent where I only play the original version. This is for PC btw, not sure about other platforms.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Up until my save file corrupted 16 hours into DE:HR Director's Cut, I thought it was well worth the purchase and I have a couple friends who went back and brought Director's Cut after having the base game. They don't seem to regret their decision.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
DoPo said:
Knight Captain Kerr said:
I've heard it fixes the boss fights and improves some other stuff but I'm wondering if it's actually worth getting or if I just stick with what I have especially seeing as I already have the Tong Mission and Missing Link.

Whatever it does to improve those it's going to be worth it - I loved DE:HR but the bossfights are bullshit if you want go for a less murderous approach. The Missing Link is a good DLC but...lacks a bit of polish - if they've added more polish, it'd be great. What I've heard is that Director's Cut integrates it better in the campaign. And that'd be very welcome, too. Without spoiling too much, the DLC takes place in the middle of the original game. Well, more like after the middle but anyway, it's not actually referenced after at all, However, it also contribute towards the ending.

I've not played it yet, as I had pretty much just finished the game, and I wanted to wait to replay it, but I think it might be worth it. However, it's probably not a huge loss to not get it - the game is pretty good without them. Really, it's just the boss battles and the the DLC integration that I found were a bit rough but not really that big of a deal.
Yeah, the Missing Link DLC takes place during a point in the game where there is a gap in time. It's not a spoiler, it's just a scene transition where they fade to black, and pick up the story after some time has passed. The DLC takes place during that fade to black timeframe.

And I played the original, and then the Director's Cut, and I really enjoyed it. The biggest benefit, that others have mentioned is the fix they made to the boss fights, to allow non-lethal built characters a way to fight them. They basically added an extra floor to each boss fight, where you can hack stuff to fight for you. Which for me was incredibly useful, as I went non-lethal/stealth build. Aside from the boss fights, and the DLC, I don't recall anything really different. It was worth buying in my opinion, as I've enjoyed the Director's Commentary on my second playthrough of the game. Hearing what they did with the game design and why was very enlightening.

I'd suggest buying it, as the game is only improved by the Director's Cut, and it was a really good game before the improvements.