Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Delayed to August

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Delayed to August

This game is a huge part of our lives, and we don't want to compromise on its quality."

Eidos Montreal has announced [https://www.deusex.com/agegate?goto=/news/Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-New-Release-Date] that Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has been delayed to August 23, 2016 for "tuning, iterations, and refinement" in order to make it a "worthy successor to Human Revolution." The game was originally slated for a February 23 release.

"We're confident and proud of the game so far. However, as we are now playing through the game in full we can see that it will require more time in post-production for tuning, iterations, and refinement to meet our high standards," wrote Eidos Montreal Head of Studio David Anfossi. "We are sorry to disappoint you with this news, and also thank you for all of your support and comments. This game is a huge part of our lives, and we don't want to compromise on its quality."

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Man, that's a pretty hefty delay.

I would have been miffed if the game didn't look painfully average in every way.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
And yet the publisher was confident enough to shove an early release date into its pre-order scheme.

Sep 14, 2009
damn, February all the way to August? What the hell, I mean I'm glad they are spending the extra time on it..but I'm curious how fucking bad it was that it make that big of a delay.

Also I'm curious if this is happening in part due to the backlash on their pre-order scheme and the way games like arkham knight got burned at the stake for being released in such a shitty condition.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
Also I'm curious if this is happening in part due to the backlash on their pre-order scheme and the way games like arkham knight got burned at the stake for being released in such a shitty condition.
I think a lot of these delays can be explained by the following phrase.

Oh shit they can get their money back now!

I also suspect that after Human Revolution the pressure is on not to fall into Deus Ex Sequel Syndrome and have the second game suck.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Y'know, I'm okay with this. Delayed games are an order of magnitude better than broken or half-assed games. (Unless we're talking about Duke Nukem Forever, which was arguably all three at release.)

That, and, of course, I still have this ridiculous back-log (thanks, GOG fall sale...)

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Good, good. Release it when it's done.
fix-the-spade said:
I also suspect that after Human Revolution the pressure is on not to fall into Deus Ex Sequel Syndrome and have the second game suck.
Well, there was Deus Ex: The Fall. So you could argue they've already got that covered.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Of course Square Enix was willing to shove pre-orders down everyone's throats...and only stopped after they got torn to shreds...As for the delay, eh...its not the biggest deal in the world to me, but when a huge triple A game is delayed, especially one that has been looking mediocre...probably not a good sign

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Well this just gives me more time for Dark Souls III and XCOM 2. Still bummed... been really looking forward to this one. Not pre-ordering after the shit they pulled with that, but still interested in the game itself.

Randomvirus

Aug 12, 2009
I didn't have a problem with their preorder thing. I don't know why people jump on kickstarters but complained about a preorder for the game. Except that people love thinking of Kickstarters as investments, like a pack of morons. But that's gamers, the dumbest demographic there is.

I think they're taking the poor sales of Tomb Raider pretty rough and moving the game further away from other releases.

But fuck them for giving it an END OF SUMMER release date. So I can get it the day the fall semester starts up again?

It's like they don't want people playing it.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
jurnag12 said:
And yet the publisher was confident enough to shove an early release date into its pre-order scheme.
Yes. This doesn't make much sense if one believes any good intentions behind their course of operations. I. e. true intentions.

I hope they get it right, now. I mean, I've a very bad feeling about the PC port. It's always the PC port that will run like ass, no matter how much time they will spend. Hopefully, I'll be wrong on this.

Even if I won't buy it in the first half of a year after release anyway.

UFriday

Nov 9, 2009
Why do I keep seeing people saying that the game looks mediocre? It looks like the original HR but with more choices, more verticality, and anything that was annoying improved or fixed. Have all the naysayers seen footage I haven't?

I'll be honest, I'm just looking forward to it because I love the atmosphere and aesthetics of the Deus Ex games (Fall and Deus Ex 2 notwithstanding), so I'm always going to be leaning slightly on the optimistic side.

OT, good. Really am not liking the "release it broken, apologise and patch" trend of games nowadays. Take as much time as needed and put in the best work you can, and the wait will be worth it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Lizzy Finnegan said:
delayed to August 23, 2016 for "tuning, iterations, and refinement" in order to make it a "worthy successor to Human Revolution."
Translation for those who don't speak Industry;

Our QA team found a game breaking bug, stemming from the fact the PC version is an unomptimised console port, that would have seen all our Steam sales refunded on Day 1.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
It'd be funny if they launch it on August 19th just to say they released it 4 days early.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good. rather have a delay but a good ported game (for pc at least) and feels right then a buggy, messy game that needs a day 1 patch.
suits me fine. resi zero will come out early next year, mirror edge 2 i have read on origin was delayed as well to may (before that it was 27th of february. dont know if its for consoles as well) and now this. so, this gives me plenty of time to play each of them in piece and save up money for the next installment.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
See, I want to hate you for this, but I have an odd feeling it's because you found something so game-breakingly huge that releasing would cause law suits. On the bright side, I can get Rise of the Tomb Raider without overlap now....I think.

Don't fuck it up, SquareEnix. I loved Human Revolution but don't pull that Direrctor's Cut bullshit again.

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I imagine this is to remove all of their pre-order stuff and redesign some of the systems to work without them, and I'm also sure that they don't want to be the next Arkham Knight. The added time is a bit hefty, so I am a bit curious as to the reasons why it was delayed. Regardless, this delay has actually made me consider purchasing the game (perhaps even on release day) since I have more confidence that they aren't just trying to shove a buggy mess out the door.

Delays are never bad for the customer. You do not need to apologize, Eidos. By delaying the game the worst you get is slight sadness. By releasing a product that isn't ready you risk anger and destruction of trust. The delay may cost you money, but the time spent will gain you reputation and customers like me who wouldn't have originally purchased the game.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
That sounds fine for me. I'm definitely excited for this game and I really want it to be great when it comes. I hope that they're using this time to optimize it for the platforms as well. I would really love to see this release at 60fps for console versions too. I dunno, I always remember blizzard delaying games for quality sake being one of the defining qualities of a Blizzard game (a quality that was subsequently dragged into the street and publicly dismembered with the release of Diablo 3).