Deus Ex Mankind Divided Pre-Order Program Takes Crowdfunding Approach

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Totalbiscuit has already torn this tiered BS a new one...

tiered rewards? 'augment your rewards' - more like "pick which of these rewards you want - because we won't give you all of them"

I get why they're doing it- they like money - but I hate that they're doing it, because this'll mean that the pirated versions of this will have all of this unlocked... which will only encourage people to pirate the game. I want this legit on steam, because I loved DE:HR, but as Gaben himself said:

"The best way to combat piracy is to offer a better service than they do" - and if you're locking away all kinds of content, that the pirates will no doubt unlock FOR FREE, then... you're doing it wrong.

As for the 4-day early release. This I am 100% behind. This is actually a fair reward IMO for pre-ordering. I get the issue of spoilers, but still I think its fair enough.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
My trust level for Squeenix is close to zero and throwing a few bones at me isn't enough for me make a preorder of an unreviewed game.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
A whole four days! How am I supposed to go without a new release for those four days?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I'm a bit confused here. Steam/Valve has been allowing tiered rewards on pre-orders for years now and I haven't seen anyone get angry at them over it. It seems disingenuous.

Just checked GameStop and The Collector's Edition of the game comes with all the tiered content. So basically spend $150.00 and you get to skip the rewards system. Doesn't seem worth it.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
PBMcNair said:
Bindal said:
Okay, tiered pre-order... and what's new about that? If I am not mistaken, that happened two or three times on Steam as well. I know for certain it happened with XCOM Enemy Unknown.
Indeed, but at least XCOM's were fairly small and cosmetic.
This seems to be more substantial.

Not getting a good feeling about this.
haha no Xcoms preorder stuff was way more than cosmetic, their tiered system included every xcom game except the shooter as part of their preorder incentives, I believe that was the final tier, which they made, and how I got every xcom game on Steam. It may not have been in-game content, but that reward got more than a few people to preorder when they otherwise might not have.

So, I got an e-mail for this earlier today, despite people's fears this system looks to be just like any other preorder incentive system, just with a counter stacked on top, I've yet to see one of these not make it through all the tiers. Promoting something like releasing the game 4 days early and then not delivering because they didn't get enough preorders would be a PR nightmare. They'll reach all the tiers no matter what, barring a massive public, and messy, boycott this plan will likely succeed just as it has on Steam every time it has been done in the past.

So what does that mean for people who do preorder with the whole "choice" thing? The only actual ingame content unlocked by this thing seems to be one mission and one skin, the mission is already included in the collector's edition automatically, and there aren't any variations or alternate prizes to choose from on that tier.The skin seems to be the only actual choice you make as far as ingame content goes, so instead of the usual preorder bonus skin you get to choose one of three. That doesn't bother me, bonus skins are almost always inferior to the default, but I can see how that would piss off obsessive completionists who want access to everything even if they never use it.

The only other choice seems to be between a soundtrack or an art book, which I'll admit I don't really care one tiny iota about either way, so ingame atleast, this entire "augment you experience" promotion seems to be little more than, "Choose one of three bonus skins when you preorder".

Not exactly the worst promotion I've ever seen, but still pretty lame all things considered.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Heard about this from TB and Jim.

Had no desire to get the game before, and I'm even less inclined to get it now.

+1 to reasons people will use to pirate it though.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
ok i'm a little confused here, never been one to pre order stuff and probably never will, at a glance to me it seems like any other pre order pack. just giving you options about want random stuff you want instead of forcing you to choose between getting it from one place or other and then getting everything chosen for you.

often a complaint ive heard when there are differnt pre order deals (one from amazon one from brick and mortar one from steam etc.) is you missing out on stuff. if the place you are buying from does not have the stuff you want you either have to change you purchacing habits or suck it up and miss some stuff. not to mention that it can be confusing if you are getting the deal you want if there are many options.

looking back to the last deus ex the stuff they are offering up seems to be just about the same as it was before. some reskinned wepons, some more cash ammo and praxis kits also a bonus level.
the art books ost and comics seem to be something out of the old enhanced edition.

unless they are massivly overestamating how many people will pre order they will have set the goals to be all within reach, if not it will start with the game not out yet but the media reporting its massive failure "ha look at them not selling as many as they thought they would"

am i missing something? it seems like the same pre order stuff companies have been pulling for years just a slightly more flexable version of it.
instead of getting locked into one set of items you get to choose. tier one and three are the ingame stuff, as its already 25% of the way to tier two it seems reasonable it will hit three in the five months or whatever untill it launches. tier two and four are just fluff nice to look at but not something that will impact your ability to play the game and tier five, wow a whole four days early thats just super amazing i have nooooooo idea how they managed to pull that one off.

to me it just seems like an odd publicity stunt to make sure people dont forget about the game in the time between them pre ordering it and getting it so they keep the hype up with the odd email letting them know a new thing is coming their way and so they talk about it more with their friends.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
There's nothing in the pre-order worth getting excited over in my opinion. I'd actually just seen Jim Sterlings vid on YouTube about this, but his opinion seems to mirror my own.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Same trick doesn't work twice. After the shitshow with the first game, there's absolutely no reason not to just wait until they make the full edition.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
And yet another case of having to buy the game like 6 times in order to get all of the content...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, yeah, it makes sense for you to have to pick, because there's simply not enough costumes and digital comics for everyone. I mean, they can't give everyone everything, there just isn't enough to go around. That's how digital goods work, isn't it? Guys?

Also, we just need to trust Square Enix. I mean, there's no way this is simply an elaborate marketing campaign, and that the top tier will be miraculously reached just before release, with a lot of pomp about how the "fans came together in the end". The fact that there's no actual data about preorder numbers beyond a vague % bar couldn't possibly indicate shenanigans. This is completely above board because SE would never lie to us.

I mean, if we can't trust the publishers of All The Bravest, who can we trust?

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Un...Fucking...Believable

Actually no what am I saying its Square Enix...Fuck you guys... consider me a lost sale if the game was good, now I don't care if its the GOTY from several trusted reviewers, I'm not touching this game anywhere near day 1... Call me when you have the "Ultimate Edition" or whatever that contains all the stuff that you cut out

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Nah, going to take more than that to make me pre-order a AAA game.

The only time I ever pre-order anything is when Gamestop ports over niche japanese titles that may never make it to my home in the boonies if I don't preorder- buying stake in a game that's guaranteed to have a million copies everywhere just lets them sell me their wares before they even have them ready, and after colonial marines, I swore that'd never happen.

seriously, though, four days? You're lucky I'm unreasonably optimistic about FF15, SE.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I know multiple retailers that are willing to break the street date for pre-orders. I think publishers are catching on and trying to put a positive spin on people playing the game before it comes out.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Bindal said:
Okay, tiered pre-order... and what's new about that? If I am not mistaken, that happened two or three times on Steam as well. I know for certain it happened with XCOM Enemy Unknown.
So....if people don't get outraged the first time something happens, they that thing is forever ok and not worthy of outrage?

Bad practices can't go on forever, eventually enough people will either notice or become annoyed to spark an outrage. I would bet that most things that people get outraged about were not the first of their kind.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
webkilla said:
As for the 4-day early release. This I am 100% behind. This is actually a fair reward IMO for pre-ordering. I get the issue of spoilers, but still I think its fair enough.
The opposite to what they claim is the reality. If you don't Pre-order you get the game 4 days later, are you still 100% behind this?, that's just what Sqare Enix want to here, you're happy to get shafted.

There is no fair reward for Pre-ordering, the fair thing would be to let you know whether the game is any good or not, like independant reviews ready to go on release day. Nothing at all about pre-orders is fair, that's why you don't pre-order at all.
This is the second game this week, I will not buy until a heavily discounted Complete version is available, if at all.

Metal Gear being the first, I really think it's hypercritical to shout FucKonami all over the net and then play their game, sure I wanted to play it, but I won't.