Dev explains why Skyrim lag wont get fixed.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
neverarine said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
neverarine said:
Tiger Sora said:
Hmm I've put in over 30 hours to Skyrim on the 360, all is still well. Good to know 360 kicks so much ass.

Guess I should feel bad for PS3 users. Well maybe...

N' way to go Beth, you've made another problem, it being worse than any previous I believe.
many PS3 users mocked the 360 buyers of the game, I find this whole thing rather amusing considering how the ps3 owners looked down on me before, and now them with their so called better systems cant handle the game...
I never saw one instance of that happening. Online or irl?
irl talking with people i knew, and the night of the release in the line, some of the poeple i talked to who was gettting the ps3 version and heard i was getting the 360 outright told me that they felt sorry for me not being able to get the "good" version...
Then they obviously didn't know which console it was designed for or Bethesda's track record with the PS3.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
neverarine said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
neverarine said:
Tiger Sora said:
Hmm I've put in over 30 hours to Skyrim on the 360, all is still well. Good to know 360 kicks so much ass.

Guess I should feel bad for PS3 users. Well maybe...

N' way to go Beth, you've made another problem, it being worse than any previous I believe.
many PS3 users mocked the 360 buyers of the game, I find this whole thing rather amusing considering how the ps3 owners looked down on me before, and now them with their so called better systems cant handle the game...
I never saw one instance of that happening. Online or irl?
irl talking with people i knew, and the night of the release in the line, some of the poeple i talked to who was gettting the ps3 version and heard i was getting the 360 outright told me that they felt sorry for me not being able to get the "good" version...
It's a trap! Everyone knows the good version is the PC version because that is the only platform that supports user created mods.

360 version is a close second though, at least the default game is playable for extended periods of time.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
overpuce said:
I've got a question for those of you in the know. So I've got this game on PS3 and do notice some lag but restart every hour or so (since my dog's bladder seems to be on that sort of timer.) What would happen if I were to take an item and sell/give to a vendor/fence. I notice that every 2 days of game time a vendor's inventory purges and resets. So in theory, wouldn't that reduce the need to keep track of an item's position and orientation?

Could I, go around and steal every unbolted item down and fence it? Reducing the engine's need to OCD on every item?
Im not sure about the none randomly generated items, like spoons and plates from a house, the game might track those as permenantly not where they started.
But for randomly generated stuff like weapons in dungeons, it would help (although i have no idea how much) if you were to sell them instead yes.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
overpuce said:
I've got a question for those of you in the know. So I've got this game on PS3 and do notice some lag but restart every hour or so (since my dog's bladder seems to be on that sort of timer.) What would happen if I were to take an item and sell/give to a vendor/fence. I notice that every 2 days of game time a vendor's inventory purges and resets. So in theory, wouldn't that reduce the need to keep track of an item's position and orientation?

Could I, go around and steal every unbolted item down and fence it? Reducing the engine's need to OCD on every item?
An interesting theory. I will test it out tomorrow.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
masticina said:
So the fix is to play two hours or so.. then get out of the game. Take a break and go in again.
It's more like, play for half an hour, get out of the game, reset your PS3, then load the game up again... and repeat every half hour.

That is not acceptable performance for a game on any system.
Half an hour geesh that is pretty darn bad. I guess it is very depending on situations I just gamed for...mmm 8 hours or so and only the last half hour lag hit up. Then again I haven't found EVERY little location.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Jove said:
I don't know what's going on with some of the people, but I have clocked in over 120 hours on my first play-through and I've had the game freeze on me ONCE and very little lags. I think people just need to take care of their system/game better or something...
in truth this is a matter of luck i havent had any lag so far and ive been playing for awhile now(50- 100 hours now)and have had no lag(a few quest givers decided to go flying but no lag:)
but my friend just got the game and is laging less then 2 hours in so i guess its just a matter of luck.

Nexus4

Jul 13, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Ha ha! 8 GB of RAM on my PC. Try and lag me now, sucker! Or, at least try when I get Skyrim for Christmas...

EDIT: Ergh, okay, okay, I get it. Skyrim is capped at 2GB. Everyone can stop quoting me about it now. Jeez!
On the nexus, you can get a 4GB patch if you want to take advantage of your 8GB RAM. Sorry if anyone has already mentioned this, I just don't want to sift through 10 pages to check :p

Nathan Dewar

Dec 5, 2011
Gazisultima said:
Typical PC user, always thinking you are above others, displaying an arrogance I've never actually seen before. People can choose to buy whatever system they like for gaming. Just because you can afford a rig that can play modern games doesn't make you better than others. God this is my current pet peeve with the gaming community. It's pathetic.

And I do genuinely feel sorry for PS3 gamers. They have it rough :(

EDIT: It didn't quote, so I apologise to the decent PC gamers out there who aren't stuck up their own arses, which I know is the majority :)
We are superior, in term of being not being brainwashed by advertising or dazzled by fancy features, or swayed by masses of titles. You don't seem to get it, this is a war, for good games, quality games everytime you buy a console (consquently what simultainious happens is that somewhere in the world an original thought dies) your basically saying to these large companies that yes you will swallow the loads of crap that they throw at consoles for that one ray of light that occassionally comes along. I long for days when it was just nintendo pc and sega. It was pretty clear cut both gaming platforms had there strengths and weakness. Everytime I even think of current generation consoles I feel sick its just one grey mass of consumerism.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
Ha ha! 8 GB of RAM on my PC. Try and lag me now, sucker! Or, at least try when I get Skyrim for Christmas...

EDIT: Ergh, okay, okay, I get it. Skyrim is capped at 2GB. Everyone can stop quoting me about it now. Jeez!
Do not fear! This will hopefully be the last time you get quoted because there are mods/programs that allow you to edit the Skyrim exe file to allow more than 2Gb of ram to be devoted to it. Also I am running it on 4Gb of ram with 0 lag (though I can't run it on ultra because of my graphics card) but still there is hope!

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Bad news, folks. 360 users are starting to report the same lag is affecting them roughly 120-140+ hours into the game, same symptoms and everything. Bethesda's support forums are starting to fill up with Xbox people getting to that point...

... so, I guess stay tuned and see what happens.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Mm. Wow, yeah, great. Game of the year, right guys? I can see why everyone loves this game so much. Here's me, playing my Human Revolution, and my Portal 2 and my Batman: Arkham City and all I can think is: "gee, these games are way too polished and efficiently designed. Fuck that, gotta get me some Skyrim!"

predatorpulse7

Jun 9, 2011
As a guy that has put a lot of hours into Skyrim, this is seriously disappointing from Bethesda.

I own the PC version and while the game is fun(up to a point), here is my first experience with skyrim(pc version):

-it crashes in the main menu.

Have to look online for the sound fix and this is a VERY COMMON problem. WTF Bethesda ?!

-after playing for a while I fast travel to Riften. Crashes every single time. I get slowdown in outside areas with everything maxed and I have a system with quad core at 3 gigs, 8 GB of ram and a nvidia 560. And the graphics unmodded look mediocre. How is this possible, I was wondering to myself, running witcher 2 at a high resolution with max details(except ubersampling) but skyrim is giving me problems?

So again, I look online and I see that that skyrim has problems with more than 2 cores and it only uses 2 gb ram. 2 GB of ram used in an era when 4gb is considered standard in many gaming computers(not to mention the fact that ram is dirt cheap anyway).I consider myself a calm person but I literally wanted to smash my copy at that moment because Bethesda really pissed on PC gamers and apparently PS3 owners as well. Luckily the community fixed a lot of these problems but how can Bethesda get away with this s**t? As someone said, it's like buying a car with a f**ked up engine that breaks after a couple of miles.

Oh, and the 1.2 patch broke the game for many people, you can see the hilarity online. And don't get me started on the interface for the pc.

I really like Skyrim but a game with this many technical issues shouldn't be anywhere near the title of BEST RPG/GAME EVAR.

Since buying this game I had to rely on the skyrimnexus community to give me:

-better skins
-better graphics overall.
-better shaders.
-a solution to fix the memory leak.
-a solution to enabling/disabling vsync, ambient occlussion, other graphical options that don't exist in the main menu(and we're talking basic options here like enabling shadows on trees and landscape).
-a better interface(they are still working on some mods to improve the inventory even more).

It is really embarrassing for Bethesda when the community has to fix your game. Not just improve your game but FIX IT.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
michiehoward said:
I have only had notable lag once on my 360. Fighting a Forsworn with his heart ripped out. It lagged so badly I died three times.
Dunno if you've been quoted yet.

I had that too on the 360. I dunno where it was for you, but it killed me several times at a place with a Word Wall. Further up the hill past the Forsworn Briarheart there was a tent that spawned a Giant Frostbite Spider, which was too big and clipped into the tent walls, lagging the game whenever it moved. All lag vanished when I killed it.

OT: That really sucks for the PS3 users. Not gloating, but boy am I happy the same problem most likely won't happen on the 360. Now to deal with the veritable host of more minor bugs and glitches...