Dev explains why Skyrim lag wont get fixed.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Kalezian said:
Crono1973 said:
Kalezian said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Jamash said:
I read Digital Foundry's analysis [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag] of this problem on the PS3 and it's pretty bad, dropping to 0FPS at times, but apparently if you only play for a maximum of 30 minutes then save and restart your PS3, the game is just about playable.

On the bright side, since the game and engine is fundamentally broken and can't be fixed (and it will just get worse and the game progresses and more content is added), anyone who bought it for the PS3 should be entitled to a full refund (under UK law and the Sales of Goods Act, Skyrim on the PS3 is technically "unfit for purpose").
Ilikemilkshake said:
Considering that these issues have existed since FO3, why have Bethesda 1) not fixed it. or 2) bothered porting the game to the ps3 when they know that the way their game works will almost definatly cause the game to degrade to a point of unplayability?
I think the reason they haven't fix it is because they can't. Todd Howard has admitted there are some things about their engine that they just can't figure out or fix, so instead they just avoid the problem (e.g. they couldn't get ladders to work, so there are no usable ladders in their games).

As for why they bothered to release it on the PS3 in such a broken state, perhaps it just didn't get picked up by the QA team. After all, the problem only manifests after a substantial amount of time and the QA team were doing 2 hour speedruns.

You can't really expect them to test a game for as long as any customer might play it, not when they had so much to do in so little time. Remember Skyrim had to be released on all 3 platform on 11/11/11 otherwise it wouldn't be special.
That article is a very interesting read, since it gives a better explanation that i did, ive edited it into my first post just incase people dont see your post.

And okay, they cant test the game as much as millions of players can at home, but surely if this would have come up? It took me 20 hours to get my save to 6Mb (reportedly the point at which problems start happening).. surely someone must have played for at least 20 hours?
And even if they didnt these problems have been recurring since FO3. My Ps3 Goty FO3 (wow alot of acronyms there) save file ended up somewhere in the region of 24mb, and alot of the DLCs i had to struggle through at 10fps (i was determined to play what i had paid for)

If they cant fix or change the engine to solve this problem, they really shouldnt be selling a broken game.

You mean they really shouldn't sell a game on a console that is incapable of running it, I assume.

Currently nearing the 70 hour, 400 saves mark and the only lag I get is around cities I havent visited in several hours, but only last a second or two.
So you doubt the problem exists?
no, like I said, even I get lag albeit only when I enter towns I havent been to for several hours. What I am saying is maybe Bethesda shouldn't put their games on a current generation console that is incapable of playing said game.
Oh I agree with that. I guess they thought people would defend them anyway, they were right.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:
Ha ha! 8 GB of RAM on my PC. Try and lag me now, sucker! Or, at least try when I get Skyrim for Christmas...
From what I understand, Skyrim can not and will not use all 8. The cap for the game is 4.
Actually, the cap for the game is rather amusingly a paltry 2gb. However, there is a fix on Nexus that sorts that right out bumping it up to 4gb.

OT: Oh well, it aint the first time that Bethesda has released a buggy piece of unplayable crap. Nor is it the first time people decided to sue them over the issue. The GoTY addition for Fo3 was all but unplayable on quite a lot of chipsets for no given reason (They blamed the hardware every time, they never patched the issue and they ignored thousands upon thousands of customers, including myself, begging them for some help with the issue). However, just to say it, those issues were far worse then increasing lag over time. Try "Random freezes every 30 seconds - 1 hour that never unfreeze". It took me more than an hour to get through Vault 101. Seriously.

IMO Skyrim is awesome and the game is most certainly playable. And to the poor PS3 owners that can only get 60 hours of gameplay out of the game? In comparison to most modern games that is 5 times the amount of playtime you would be getting. So maybe when you hit that point its about time to try out a different character build and stop Godmodding your character to Jesus and back.

Yeah, I went there.

Am I the only gamer who sees this and thinks the same? Trying to sue them for making a game that you can only get 60 hours of play for each character you make is utterly ridiculous. 60 hours is a long, long time.

To put that in perspective...
60 hours is like playing portal 2 back to back 10 times. You gonna sue valve for only making a 6 hour long game?
MW3 clocks around 4 and a half to 6 hours (Being generous there) so you gonna sue Infinity Ward?
BF 3's campaign clocks in at 6-7 hours.

So...

Combined length of Portal 2 campaign (+ Co-op) 12 hours
MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

According to my brutalised maths, people are complaining that they are only getting 6 games worth of time out of each character.

Boo fucking hoo.

However, that said, would it not be easy enough for them to patch this out? I mean, sure, its a workaround. But "Resetting" the save every 20 or so hours on the PS3 so only quest-related and plot-related events are still present and only the player house is saved from a hard reset? I know people would probably get angry at that "But I liked that pile of corpses" but it seems that that would be the answer to all this memory backlog causing uber lag. And it would actually help the PS3 godmodders as things would return to how they were allowing them to mess things up all over again.

Makes sense to me.

you have the best point ever. i always question why people complain and moan about there game breaking after 60 hours yet no other game has a campaign that can last that long. and is almost 10 times longer than others...baffles me. but yeah they should try to fix it in the coming year..and people need to get off there high horse. you pay 15 dollars for a movie.. 15 to ten actually...its 2 to 3 hours long..you pay 60 for a game...at minimum the game should be 8 to 12 hours long

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:
Ha ha! 8 GB of RAM on my PC. Try and lag me now, sucker! Or, at least try when I get Skyrim for Christmas...
From what I understand, Skyrim can not and will not use all 8. The cap for the game is 4.
Mods had this covered on day one.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Anthony Wells said:
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:
Actually, the cap for the game is rather amusingly a paltry 2gb. However, there is a fix on Nexus that sorts that right out bumping it up to 4gb.

OT: Oh well, it aint the first time that Bethesda has released a buggy piece of unplayable crap. Nor is it the first time people decided to sue them over the issue. The GoTY addition for Fo3 was all but unplayable on quite a lot of chipsets for no given reason (They blamed the hardware every time, they never patched the issue and they ignored thousands upon thousands of customers, including myself, begging them for some help with the issue). However, just to say it, those issues were far worse then increasing lag over time. Try "Random freezes every 30 seconds - 1 hour that never unfreeze". It took me more than an hour to get through Vault 101. Seriously.

IMO Skyrim is awesome and the game is most certainly playable. And to the poor PS3 owners that can only get 60 hours of gameplay out of the game? In comparison to most modern games that is 5 times the amount of playtime you would be getting. So maybe when you hit that point its about time to try out a different character build and stop Godmodding your character to Jesus and back.

Yeah, I went there.

Am I the only gamer who sees this and thinks the same? Trying to sue them for making a game that you can only get 60 hours of play for each character you make is utterly ridiculous. 60 hours is a long, long time.

60 hours is like playing portal 2 back to back 10 times. You gonna sue valve for only making a 6 hour long game?
MW3 clocks around 4 and a half to 6 hours (Being generous there) so you gonna sue Infinity Ward?

So...

MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

According to my brutalised maths, people are complaining that they are only getting 6 games worth of time out of each character.

Boo fucking hoo.

However, that said, would it not be easy enough for them to patch this out? I mean, sure, its a workaround. But "Resetting" the save every 20 or so hours on the PS3 so only quest-related and plot-related events are still present and only the player house is saved from a hard reset? I know people would probably get angry at that "But I liked that pile of corpses" but it seems that that would be the answer to all this memory backlog causing uber lag. And it would actually help the PS3 godmodders as things would return to how they were allowing them to mess things up all over again.

Makes sense to me.

you have the best point ever. i always question why people complain and moan about there game breaking after 60 hours yet no other game has a campaign that can last that long. and is almost 10 times longer than others...baffles me. but yeah they should try to fix it in the coming year..and people need to get off there high horse. you pay 15 dollars for a movie.. 15 to ten actually...its 2 to 3 hours long..you pay 60 for a game...at minimum the game should be 8 to 12 hours long
Oh wow, so it's ok to not be able to complete a game as long as you get XX number of hours out of it? Doesn't that really defeat the purpose of a game like Skyrim?

Skyrim is a vast, open world game that let's you explore and play your own way, but only for XX hours per save file.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
I love Skyrim and Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The lag can really piss me off sometimes and the fact they havent fixed it since Fallout 3 is a bit annoying. Lets hope to FUCK that they redesign the game engine for the next Fallout.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
So what it sounds like to me is the PS3 has RAM issues because of how terrible Sony designed the console's memory management system(or they didn't give it enough[or it is time for a new console generation]).
Crono1973 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Chromanin said:
I thought Fallout: New Vegas was the last game they were going to use with that game engine. Not sure where I heard it, but I thought they were using a new engine starting with Skyrim. Maybe it was Fallout 4, or maybe I just imagined the whole thing.
The engine is "new".. but they've reused a tonne of the same code
The engine is not new, it's heavily modified. It seems to me they could have included a fix for this when they were modifying the engine but I suppose that wasn't a priority for Beth.
'

So you mean that the Creation Engine is in fact a heavily modified version of the GameBryo Engine? That alone explains why the game has had so many problems. At least the modders won't have to relearn much to get the job done(fix the game)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Darth Sea Bass said:
I thought skyrim had a new engine FO3 And NV were using the same gamebryo engine that oblivion used?
It's a new engine in the same way that new shoestrings = new shoes.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Crono1973 said:
All true, but in the grand scheme of things: If Bethesda is unwilling to make the game work properly on the PS3, then they should not have released it on the PS3.

No one is saying that Bethesda is obligated to release their games on the PS3. They always had the option to not release a broken game on the PS3 and that is the option they should have taken.
True, but then there would be a hoard of people with pitchforks and torches clamoring for Bethesda to be flayed alive for not releasing it on the PS3.

Deathninja19

Dec 7, 2009
Crono1973 said:
Anthony Wells said:
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:

Yeah, I went there.

So...

MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

Boo fucking hoo.

Makes sense to me.

Oh wow, so it's ok to not be able to complete a game as long as you get XX number of hours out of it? Doesn't that really defeat the purpose of a game like Skyrim?

Skyrim is a vast, open world game that let's you explore and play your own way, but only for XX hours per save file.
Man don't even try to question their logic because you'll get no reasonable explanation. This is probably one of the stupidest arguements to defend this issue that I've read.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
robert01 said:
So what it sounds like to me is the PS3 has RAM issues because of how terrible Sony designed the console's memory management system(or they didn't give it enough[or it is time for a new console generation]).
Crono1973 said:
Ilikemilkshake said:
Chromanin said:
I thought Fallout: New Vegas was the last game they were going to use with that game engine. Not sure where I heard it, but I thought they were using a new engine starting with Skyrim. Maybe it was Fallout 4, or maybe I just imagined the whole thing.
The engine is "new".. but they've reused a tonne of the same code
The engine is not new, it's heavily modified. It seems to me they could have included a fix for this when they were modifying the engine but I suppose that wasn't a priority for Beth.
'

So you mean that the Creation Engine is in fact a heavily modified version of the GameBryo Engine? That alone explains why the game has had so many problems. At least the modders won't have to relearn much to get the job done(fix the game)
No, Bethesda games have memory issues because they don't put the extra effort into modifying their games to run properly on the PS3. It's just laziness, the same laziness that left PC gamers with a horrible UI because Bethesda only cared about one platform, the 360. Other developers have no problems with the RAM setup in the PS3.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Anthony Wells said:
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:

Yeah, I went there.

So...

MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

Boo fucking hoo.

Makes sense to me.

not what i said. but i only expierience the lag in cities and thats after 4 to 5 hours of play. and with that its only in major cities like whiterun, markarth, and solitude. riften after 7 to 8 hours. all i'm saying is that after spending that much time in a game even if you dont complete it has to mean something. even if the game starts lagging for good im not gonna complain because...well honestly its sucking out more of my life than even fallout 3 did in the 2 years i had that game. im content with it and im as critical as critical can get when it comes to games and movies.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
boag said:
Crono1973 said:
All true, but in the grand scheme of things: If Bethesda is unwilling to make the game work properly on the PS3, then they should not have released it on the PS3.

No one is saying that Bethesda is obligated to release their games on the PS3. They always had the option to not release a broken game on the PS3 and that is the option they should have taken.
True, but then there would be a hoard of people with pitchforks and torches clamoring for Bethesda to be flayed alive for not releasing it on the PS3.
Better that than having a hoard of people with pitchforks and torches angry because they can't play their new $60 game. In the first case, there are no legal issues, in this case though...there may be a class action in the future.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Deathninja19 said:
Crono1973 said:
Anthony Wells said:
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:

Yeah, I went there.

So...

MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

Boo fucking hoo.

Makes sense to me.

Man don't even try to question their logic because you'll get no reasonable explanation. This is probably one of the stupidest arguements to defend this issue.

not a stupid defense trust me on that. if a game sucks so much time from you i dont think you really have a right to complain unless your one of those people complaining about lengths of other games already. am i truly defending the lag..hell no i hate it when it happens... does it need to be fixed? definitly. is it worth bitching about. probably. does it bother me that it happens after playing and pumping so much into a game? not really since its more time put into games and less time i spend thinking about philosphy and stuff...i hate thinking long and hard on that subject...gets me depressed...so maybe im biased in that it lets my mind stop wondering.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Anthony Wells said:
Deathninja19 said:
Crono1973 said:
Anthony Wells said:
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:

Yeah, I went there.

So...

MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

Boo fucking hoo.

Makes sense to me.

Man don't even try to question their logic because you'll get no reasonable explanation. This is probably one of the stupidest arguements to defend this issue.

not a stupid defense trust me on that. if a game sucks so much time from you i dont think you really have a right to complain unless your one of those people complaining about lengths of other games already. am i truly defending the lag..hell no i hate it when it happens... does it need to be fixed? definitly. is it worth bitching about. probably. does it bother me that it happens after playing and pumping so much into a game? not really since its more time put into games and less time i spend thinking about philosphy and stuff...i hate thinking long and hard on that subject...gets me depressed...so maybe im biased in that it lets my mind stop wondering.
If you bought the game and you can't play it, then you have every right to complain. You don't need a "I complained about the length of MW3" license.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
And on a completely unrelated note. Devs try to put everything on the consoles nowadays, regardless of whether it works or not. Well, because releasing for the PC isn't good enough anymore. Consoles is where the money is at, unless your company is named Blizzard.

I can understand it from a financial standpoint, but can PC gamers get at least a decent version and not a discarded console version?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
Because First World Problems, and people will always find something to complain about, its how we are wired.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Razada said:
So maybe when you hit that point its about time to try out a different character build and stop Godmodding your character to Jesus and back.

Yeah, I went there.
I don't necessarily agree with this but I lol'd at it anyway.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
Crono1973 said:
Anthony Wells said:
Deathninja19 said:
Crono1973 said:
Anthony Wells said:
Razada said:
HoradricNoob said:
Macgyvercas said:

Yeah, I went there.

So...

MW3 6 hours
BF 3 7 hours

That is 25 hours.

Boo fucking hoo.

Makes sense to me.

If you bought the game and you can't play it, then you have every right to complain. You don't need a "I complained about the length of MW3" license.

you can play it. only for short bursts much later. stop arguing with me i already admitted im biased on the subject because the game distracts me for long periods of time. i already said im not defending it and it needs to be fixed you're right you can complain ,not that all complaints are valid mind you, but you can its your right as a consumer and your right as a person.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Crono1973 said:
boag said:
Crono1973 said:

Better that than having a hoard of people with pitchforks and torches angry because they can't play their new $60 game. In the first case, there are no legal issues, in this case though...there may be a class action in the future.
Agreed, then again its playable up to 60 hours right, im guessing people will go for the work around now that they now how to approach it.