Developer Defends Microsoft from Sony's Attacks

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Developer Defends Microsoft from Sony's Attacks

According to Zen Studios, developers will "do better" on XBLA than PSN.

Sony recently had some other issues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112785-Sony-Exec-Blasts-Microsoft-for-Content-Policy], stood up for its distributor once again. The pinball-focused developer asserted not only that Microsoft's content policy is fair, but that Sony is lashing out at Microsoft in an attempt to cover up its own failings.

"I'll be perfectly honest, you're going to do better on XBLA than you will on PSN," said Mel Kirk, a VP at Zen Studios. In particular, Zen tackled a claim made by Sony that Microsoft was trying to cover up its "inferior technology." "If [Microsoft is] holding back features in games because they can't do what PlayStation does, I would agree with you," Kirk explained. "But I really don't understand that. Is there an actual specific title we can talk about?"

Zen Studios also felt that if Sony was going to point fingers, it should first look inward. "When PSN went down, of course it was a huge story. But then ... E3 came and it was all gone and forgotten about," said Kirk. He went on to explain how Sony's communication with developers was sub-par, as Zen learned about PSN - and its content - going back up via Facebook and Twitter. "We missed two releases in the PSN outage," he pointed out.

Defending one distributor by attacking another one is a strange strategy, but given all the flak XBLA has received lately, it's not that surprising that a company that had positive experiences would want to step up and defend it. As for whether Zen has effectively burned its bridges with Sony, time will tell.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-09-zen-rejects-xbox-inferior-tech-claim]

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm not even sure I'd call that a defense.

All Zen Studios did was say "nu-uh", and then try to discredit Sony by talking about the PSN outage, which has nothing to do with anything, and wasn't their fault.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
You see, Zen Studios, they get special treatment from Microsoft. Team Meat with their Super Meat Boy even started a quarrel with them, since they've been treated like shit.

I'd be interested to see honest opinion of some company, which doesn't get special treatment from either MS or Sony.

genericusername64

Jun 18, 2011
Zen studios is a corporate puppet now. You may notice they also trashed the super meat boy developer for complaining about microsoft
http://www.destructoid.com/team-meat-zen-studios-fight-over-microsoft-treatment-210935.phtml

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
People might actually take this seriously were the companies that are poo flinging not actually biased.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
WELL! If a giant of the industry such as Zen (was it?) wades into an argument, you know your in trouble. Sony had better run for the hills and cower because the big guns are obviously out to fight.

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
DragonLord Seth said:
DO THEY WANT THIS YET?

And I'll defend the XBox 360 for as long as it takes for people to stop bitching about it. Like RoosterTeeth's latest "Rage Quit" video, it was SUPPOSED to be fore Resistance 3, but Mike ragequit when he got to the title screen because the 3 different updates and installations took 20 fucking minutes.
On my 360 I didn't have to install MW2, BlOps and Reach onto my hard drive, I did it for faster loading times. On the PS3 versions of CoD I would have to, or face bullshit loading times.
YYYYeah thats a one time installation....and by the way, not all installations are like that. Resistance 3 was PARTICULARLY big. usually its half that time, or 5-10 mins if you will.

If this happened everytime you booted the game it was one thing, but a one time installation at the start? How is this in anyway a relevant point to the stupidest war ive seen? Xbox 360 has been hacked as well, it has fialed on hardware as well, its technology IS inferior.
PS3 got hacked badly, has a poor UI and library on its PSN, and it has updates n installations with more frequence than the Xbox.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
DragonLord Seth said:
DO THEY WANT THIS YET?
-snip-
Oh boy here we go...
Can we not get all fanboy please?

But im still trying to decipher your opening, what the hell do you mean with the flint and steel? Ar you trying to imply that minecraft isnt on PS3? or am I missing something here...

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
This isn't defending, this is counter-bashing. All this poo-flinging and name-calling is getting ridiculous. :\

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
DragonLord Seth said:
On my 360 I didn't have to install MW2, BlOps and Reach onto my hard drive, I did it for faster loading times. On the PS3 versions of CoD I would have to, or face bullshit loading times.
My PS3 didn't have me installing MW2 or Black Ops, and their load times are absolutely fine.

Usually just the bigger games have an install. And that's for faster loading times, or for open world games that companies like Rockstar make.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
DragonLord Seth said:
Now do you see it?
I see, I just think that image had a few too many connotations to get just the basic one.
-Samurai- said:
Ditto, this myth of "every PS3 game needs an install" is rather annoying.

To be honest I wish every game DID have an install though, PS3 games run so much faster when they allow an install.
HDD > Disc any day of the week.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
DragonLord Seth said:
DO THEY WANT THIS YET?

And I'll defend the XBox 360 for as long as it takes for people to stop bitching about it. Like RoosterTeeth's latest "Rage Quit" video, it was SUPPOSED to be fore Resistance 3, but Mike ragequit when he got to the title screen because the 3 different updates and installations took 20 fucking minutes.
Attacking a separate company is not defending another, it's being a jackass and a fanboy. When legitimate attacks are made against one company and you respond specifically to their attack, actually addressing the issue, then you can claim it's defense.

Now, if you had an adequate way of explaining Microsofts policies regarding the XBLA, specifically that they won't host any developer that started on the PS3, then you would be defending.

P.s. I played Uncharted 2 without having an initial download and with no loading screens in game. Just saying.

puffenstuff

Jan 31, 2008
Pointless, since independent developers will do better* on steam than either XBLA or PSN.

*See Cthulhu Saves the World selling more on steam in one week than it did on in one year on XBLA. Plus developers get to control their content updates.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
-Samurai- said:
I'm not even sure I'd call that a defense.

All Zen Studios did was say "nu-uh", and then try to discredit Sony by talking about the PSN outage, which has nothing to do with anything, and wasn't their fault.
^Pretty much right on the money. The two statements presented there seem to come down to:
- "oh this is totally not true because... well... uh... what were we talking about again?"
- "there'll be no finger-pointing!.. Steve"

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
wooty said:
WELL! If a giant of the industry such as Zen (was it?) wades into an argument, you know your in trouble. Sony had better run for the hills and cower because the big guns are obviously out to fight.
With such hits as...a whole bunch of...pinball games? Really? That's what they're doing? Ahem, right, with such hits as this, I'm shocked Sony hasn't gone ahead and closed down support for both the PS3 and PSN. I mean, with Zen Studios holding out on them, what do they have left?

WHAT SYSTEM COULD GO ON WITHOUT PINBALL?!

Dec 27, 2010
Marshall Honorof said:
As for whether Zen has effectively burned its bridges with Sony, time will tell.
Not that it would matter, since Zen Pinball was sh*te anyway.

OT; He criticises Sony for the PSN downtime, yet doesn't mention how they would go about fixing it, or even what the issues were in the first place. Let's be honest here; while removing the Other OS function from the PS3 (though the patch was optional, but what ever, everyone will ignore that anyway) was a d*ck move, Sony aren't to blame for getting hacked. The hackers were.