Developer Denies Nintendo Is Blocking Release of Holocaust Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Developer Denies Nintendo Is Blocking Release of Holocaust Game

The Nintendo [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/technology/10nintendo.html?_r=2&ref=business&oref=slogin&oref=slogin]is blocking the game's release.

The Times report described Imagination Is the Only Escape, a game by British developer Luc Bernard, as "darkly illustrated and full of gruesome historical facts," far different from typical light-hearted Toys 'R' Us [http://www.nintendo.com/ds] quote in the article said, "At this time, there are no plans for this game to be released for any Nintendo platforms in North America."

According to Next-Gen [http://www.alten8.com/], Andrews said the game doesn't even have a release target, adding, "We have not even discussed the game with Nintendo as of yet."

"We in general try to allow anyone we work with to use their creative talents and see no reasons why new type and styles of games and film content should not be tried, but to confirm again, the status of this game is currently concept/pre-production at this point in time," he said.

Imagination Is the Only Escape will cast players in the role of a young boy in France during the Nazi occupation of the Second World War who escapes from the everyday horrors surrounding him into his own fantasy world. Bernard described his game is educational, and despite the dark subject matter said, "I hope that young children will play it."

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
Melty Blood said:
This sounds oddly familiar to Pan's Labyrinth (I wish I had the initiative to spell check that)
You got it right.

And yes, I wasn't going to comment on this; but it certainly does. Pan's Labyrinth was a great adventure which I surprisingly enjoyed, mixing gritty Guerrillas fighting in turn-of-last-century Spain with fairytale mysticism and eventually intertwining the two incredibly. However, the Spanish Civil War was in no way as controversial as the Holocaust, and, if we are seeing a fully-fledged game come out of this, we can expect 10+ hours of experiencing Nazi horrors which only got away with being published because it included the occasional fantasy element of gameplay. Well, that's me being pessimistic.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Melaisis said:
And yes, I wasn't going to comment on this; but it certainly does. Pan's Labyrinth was a great adventure which I surprisingly enjoyed, mixing gritty Guerrillas fighting in turn-of-last-century Spain with fairytale mysticism and eventually intertwining the two incredibly. However, the Spanish Civil War was in no way as controversial as the Holocaust, and, if we are seeing a fully-fledged game come out of this, we can expect 10+ hours of experiencing Nazi horrors which only got away with being published because it included the occasional fantasy element of gameplay. Well, that's me being pessimistic.
Turn of which Century?
The Spanish civil war ran from 1936 to 1939.
Pan's Labyrinth is set in 1944,

You're probably right about getting 10 hours of massed corpses, games and subtlety don't have a great history.