Developer Tracks Single Pirated Software License to 750,000

throumbas

Sep 6, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
poiumty said:
Generic Gamer said:
Well...fuck.

That's a lot of lost revenue. Like, a lot.
Only if all the users who pirated it paid for it instead. Which isn't applicable.
Oh, can't I remark on a large number of illegal copies without someone trotting out the old 'not a lost sale' thing? Honestly, thieves will thieve the thievables and I do not care.
Pirating is not stealing, pirates are not thieves. Which definition of "stealing" are you going by?

Apr 28, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
Irridium said:
Well people could just not pirate. But that would mean they'd have to buy things. Which is just madness!
it is kind of madness considering buying a PC is already at least 500 dollars out of your pocket and then there's the monitor, the keyboard, the speakers, the mouse

yeah, and if you're gonna pay for ALL your software, you're looking at over 1500 dollars just to get started
Not if your smart with your purchases. I bought all the parts for my PC for about $350. That was 3 years ago, and I haven't replaced anything except the hard drive.

Or you could also just buy a console and use that if you want to just buy and play and not deal with all the stuff that comes with PC gaming.

Apr 28, 2008
Generic Gamer said:
poiumty said:
Generic Gamer said:
Well...fuck.

Only if all the users who pirated it paid for it instead. Which isn't applicable.
Oh, can't I remark on a large number of illegal copies without someone trotting out the old 'not a lost sale' thing? Honestly, thieves will thieve the thievables and I do not care.
Its not stealing or theft, its copyright infringement. They're two different things and I really wish people would realize the difference. No that doesn't make it better, but calling it stealing and the pirates thieves is wrong. Still mostly assholes, but not thieves.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Yay new high score!

Well at least they're not trying to sue everyone.

unacomn said:
Avast was pirated.
Am I the only one seeing the irony in this.
Or be it just the side effect of me playn' Pirates of the Burning Sea all week. Arrrgh!
I know isn't it delicious?

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
at least there taking a appropriate measurement to piracy instead of the whole im going to sue you and your unborn children approach (yes i know that's an exaggeration... im using it for comical effect before any of you deterrence people decide to jump on it), note this is my opinion.

on a side note name IRONY!

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
At least they were able to "fix" their issue by making the pirated copies non playable and adding a "if you want to play for reals you can for free" button. The number from a single copy was shockingly huge in my opinion it just goes to show that even games with free to play versions still get victimized by people too lazy or too indifferent to pay for what they use. Reminds me of all those "just take one" signs on porches on Halloween...its free...must take all of them....

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Irridium said:
Well people could just not pirate. But that would mean they'd have to buy things. Which is just madness!
it is kind of madness considering buying a PC is already at least 500 dollars out of your pocket and then there's the monitor, the keyboard, the speakers, the mouse

yeah, and if you're gonna pay for ALL your software, you're looking at over 1500 dollars just to get started
Then....don't play video games? It's a hobby not something everyone has a right to get for free.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Avast...you have just outdone the US government when it comes to dealing with piracy.

If this story could only get more attention amongst the bigwigs...but eh, it'll take quite a while longer until younger generations come into seats of power I guess. And unfortunately most of the families in the decision-making seats are far too myopic to actually seize an opportunity like this by the balls.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
I like this method. It actually uses logic behind it's workings. People clearly care about their computer and they liked the software enough to keep it, if they can't have a working version they may as well buy a legal one so they don't keep having this problem. I also admire Avast for actually using this method rather than just sending it to some lawyers to sue as many people as possible.
Croaker42 said:
Wow for once a sane, well thought out and balanced response to piracy. I applaude this and wish to see more of it in the future. Atleast one company has stoped crying and taken a bit of controll.

I may even go buy Avast now.

Also; Anyone else want to see a picture of the Pope in a pirate hat? Perhaps with a sword?
Yeah that would be great.
I still think (as per my above post) that people are praising this method of dealing with piracy before they really consider the implications it would have for other types of software (particularly gaming), and how remarkably similar it is to measures that have already been tried and universally decried.

Take a peek a few posts up to see what I'm talking about. I'm interested to know what people think about this approach as it would have to apply to games.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
throumbas said:
Pirating is not stealing, pirates are not thieves. Which definition of "stealing" are you going by?
The one not influenced by cognitive dissonance.
It isn't 'theft' in a legal sense but it carries the same penalty and involves the same losses to the victim. If you're really interested in my stance then look up my username and the word 'piracy' in the search bar but I don't care to debate it again. I'm just pissed off that every time, every time there's one of these topics every pirate on the site flocks to the forum to quote everyone and reply "piracy isn't theft...no lost sale...sharing isn't a crime" etc.

Irridium said:
Its not stealing or theft, its copyright infringement. They're two different things and I really wish people would realize the difference. No that doesn't make it better, but calling it stealing and the pirates thieves is wrong. Still mostly assholes, but not thieves.
See above.
Help me out here and tell me I'm not crazy for thinking that this exact method of dealing with piracy, if applied to games, would result in all the "horrible DRM" issues that pirates have claimed caused game piracy?

I mean... antivirus software requires regular updates from the internet, so you'd have to regularly connect (and verify your license) in order to get this necessary updates and maintain decent functionality. And, if you've got a pirated copy, they are able to manipulate the program such that you can no longer use what is on your computer.

Having to be connected to the internet? Regular copy verification? Requiring DLC to keep basic function? Intruding on and manipulating files on your computer? We accept it from antivirus stuff because that's how it works... but isn't this the exact behavior people said games would die if they used?

Pirates can't have it both ways. The pirate-apologists can't seem to get a story straight. They're running about praising the DRM techniques they just got done screaming about. Am I losing my mind here?

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Irridium said:
Generic Gamer said:
poiumty said:
Generic Gamer said:
Well...fuck.

Copyright infringement, plagiarism, and patent infringement are ALL forms of intellectual property theft. You are stealing ideas, or in this case the a program license. The key probably got online because someone in the original companies IT department got fired or the company allowed them to take the programs and keys home with them. In either case the key was either stolen outright or was given out in violation of their user agreements.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
So turn the program into a combination of spyware and adware. Arent there people that complain about that sort of thing? Also aren't there people that can hack the limited trial offer type thing? Maybe i'm just overstating the ability of hackers tho.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
dastardly said:
The Unworthy Gentleman said:
Croaker42 said:
I still think (as per my above post) that people are praising this method of dealing with piracy before they really consider the implications it would have for other types of software (particularly gaming), and how remarkably similar it is to measures that have already been tried and universally decried.

Take a peek a few posts up to see what I'm talking about. I'm interested to know what people think about this approach as it would have to apply to games.
Oh I agree with you. This kind of action can only be used when the product requires constant updates patches. It works great for antivirus, MMOs and multiplayer online games. (We know Lan is sadly a thing of the past.) I find it sad and frustrating when games require constant connection for single player.

Mostly my comment was to how I enjoy Avasts response to the pirates (I find it hard to call anyone who downloads something with support dependencies, and doesn?t find a workaround a pirate.). They are calmly and rationally "working it out" with the "down loaders."

I also think DRM is a complete waste of time and inconveniences normal users more than it hinders pirates. However if a game comes out that I plan on buying then I am certainly going to buy it DRM be damned.

Sometimes the right course of action is Piracy.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
poiumty said:
Generic Gamer said:
Well...fuck.

Still not applicable in this case, considering the existence of a free version of the product.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Alot of lost revenue and someone sue the Vatican already!

Either way, I don't blame game devs delaying PC versions of some popular games or inserting idiotic DRM. They simply cannot think of anything else.
stop doing DLC's and restart doing Expansions.