Devil May Cry 5 Confirmed!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009

It's finally happened! After completely losing faith that we'd ever, in any capacity, get another of these wonderful games it has happened.

Devil May Cry 5 Confirmed! And, from the looks of things, the pace and combat systems have been retained too! This pleases me immensely!

Time to get Motivated again guys!

Anyway, my sheer unbridled glee at this announcement aside, your thoughts?

Dec 10, 2012
Huh. I never thought we'd get another DMC either. DMC 3 is one of my favorite PS2 era games, but after 4 was a step backwards and that (non-canon?) reboot that I never played was a bust, it did look like the series was going to the grave.

This could be good. It does look like it's got the same combat style. Kinda not excited to see they're going forward with Nero as the new protagonist. He's a goob.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
After Reboot-Dante, I'm actually really glad to see Nero again! (Yay, I get to use the Red Queen again!) Let's hope he gets a complete entry in the franchise without any needless backtracking.

Super intrigued by who/what took the Devilbringer from Nero -- Dante? Nah, they parted on good terms. Speaking of Dante, oof, gotta see the rest of the wardrobe but age has treated him well.

Super looking forward to this.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yup, the attempted reboot is dead, it's gone. Itsuno and CAPCOM just burned it on stage and pissed on the ashes. I have said more colorful things about it elsewhere, but to summarize, basically screw all the people who shill and enabled that derailment whether they were Ninja Theory, Inafune, and all the apologist members of the press (looking at you, Jim Sterling!).

Anyway, the game looks good, but I'm iffy on the art direction. It seems that CAPCOM is still shaking off Inafune?s toxic ?must Westernize everything!? philosophy and it really comes off like they?re afraid of pissing off all twelve people who bought the misbegotten reboot attempt thus leading to identity crisis. I'm alright with Nero's new design overall, but I think they should have made the character look more inline with DMC4.

Demon design looks alright, but it?s like they?re taking heavily from Dark Souls. Also don?t like the contemporary setting because DMC?s intentional anachronism gave it a timeless quality. I actually thought this was a Resident Evil game when it first came up until the music started kicking in.

Still, Nero is back and as charming as ever (JOHNNY!) and gameplay looks good, back to what the series is known for. Writing is back to normal (though Nico seems more like a Bayonetta character) so hopefully Dante shows us his quirks again. However, where the hell are Lady and Trish? C?mon, CAPCOM, they were AWESOME in DMC 4: SE. Still, I?m hopeful

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Aiddon said:
Anyway, the game looks good, but I'm iffy on the art direction. It seems that CAPCOM is still shaking off Inafune?s toxic ?must Westernize everything!? philosophy and it really comes off like they?re afraid of pissing off all twelve people who bought the misbegotten reboot attempt thus leading to identity crisis. I'm alright with Nero's new design overall, but I think they should have made the character look more inline with DMC4.

Demon design looks alright, but it?s like they?re taking heavily from Dark Souls. Also don?t like the contemporary setting because DMC?s intentional anachronism gave it a timeless quality. I actually thought this was a Resident Evil game when it first came up until the music started kicking in.

Still, Nero is back and as charming as ever (JOHNNY!) and gameplay looks good, back to what the series is known for. Writing is back to normal (though Nico seems more like a Bayonetta character) so hopefully Dante shows us his quirks again. However, where the hell are Lady and Trish? C?mon, CAPCOM, they were AWESOME in DMC 4: SE. Still, I?m hopeful
I like that they changed Nero's design. He looked too much like DMC3 Dante otherwise. Not really digging beard Dante design, what little they showed of it.

Also, taking enemy design inspiration from Dark Souls seems like a damn good idea. If From Software knows how to do something, it's monster design.

Other than that, game looks cool, happy we actually saw some combat and actual gameplay.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I like that they changed Nero's design. He looked too much like DMC3 Dante otherwise. Not really digging beard Dante design, what little they showed of it.

Also, taking enemy design inspiration from Dark Souls seems like a damn good idea. If From Software knows how to do something, it's monster design.

Other than that, game looks cool, happy we actually saw some combat and actual gameplay.
I'm fine with Nero getting a haircut just to differentiate him from Dante, but even his facial structure has changed a lot so that really made me go "huh?" As for Dante, the cover art of the game indicates he'll get a new outfit, so maybe he hits the office for a shave and a haircut (and maybe some pizza).

As for the demon design, taking inspiration from Dark Souls is one of those things that sounds good on paper...but the problem is Dark Souls design for demons specifically has actually been kinda lackluster. Plus the gritty, grim design of Dark Souls is not what I would go to for DMC because it goes against DMC's Gothic meets heavy metal album cover design. Plus it's getting overexposed and kinda blurring togetherThough admittedly this is only from what we know right now and it could change (heck, some people noticed the Sin enemies from DMC3 are back).

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
As one of the people who still enjoys Devil May Cry 4, I'm super hyped to see Nero get another game. Maybe he'll finally get a chance to really show off how good he can be, mechanically and as a character.

Raiden was saved from the hate bin by Metal Gear Rising. Nero's definitely got a shot.

(Note: I liked Raiden in MGS2 as well.)

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Aiddon said:

It 2018, where no one can be sure you really made a sequel to anything unless a legacy character gets a beard!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
As one of the people who still enjoys Devil May Cry 4, I'm super hyped to see Nero get another game. Maybe he'll finally get a chance to really show off how good he can be, mechanically and as a character.

Raiden was saved from the hate bin by Metal Gear Rising. Nero's definitely got a shot.

(Note: I liked Raiden in MGS2 as well.)
Actually most people changed their minds about Nero a long time ago. It definitely helps that unlike NT's character Nero is actually a good person and genuinely charming (mostly because Johnny Yong Bosch is such a great actor). He does look he got a major gameplay upgrade with the Devil Breakers so I guess those are his version of the Styles system

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Looks good. I'm not a big fan of Nero though, but his abilities were a lot of fun to play with in DMC4. Also, I already despise that chick.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Adam Jensen said:
Looks good. I'm not a big fan of Nero though, but his abilities were a lot of fun to play with in DMC4. Also, I already despise that chick.
I don't see the big deal Nico. She doesn't annoy me or bother me, but I think she's just okay. The lady has more charisma than almost the entire cast of the DmC (2013). You wanna talk annoying; look up Patty from the Devil May Cry anime. You'll be tired of her by the 3rd or 4th episode. Patty doesn't interfere with the plot too much, but she is important to the story of the last two episodes.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So what exactly is the story in the DMC series? I remember something about Dantes parents, Virgil maybe losing his soul, and something about a pizza.

Can anyone give me the abriged version of what the hells going on in these games?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lufia Erim said:
So what exactly is the story in the DMC series? I remember something about Dantes parents, Virgil maybe losing his soul, and something about a pizza.

Can anyone give me the abriged version of what the hells going on in these games?

DMC3: Dante defeats Vergil. Vergil throws himself into demon world. Dante and Lady become friends.

DMC1: Dante kills Nelo Angelo (who is Vergil), seals Mundus back to hell, and Trish becomes Dante's partner.

DMC4: Nero kills Sanctus, Dante let's Nero keep Vergil's sword, and it's back to business as usual.

DMC2: Dante kills Argosax and rides off into hell, Lucia kills Arius after the latter was defeated by Dante, and she waits for Dante to return at his shop.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:
DMC3: Dante defeats Vergil. Vergil throws himself into demon world. Dante and Lady become friends.

DMC1: Dante kills Nelo Angelo (who is Vergil), seals Mundus back to hell, and Trish becomes Dante's partner.

DMC4: Nero kills Sanctus, Dante let's Nero keep Vergil's sword, and it's back to business as usual.

DMC2: Dante kills Argosax and rides off into hell, Lucia kills Arius after the latter was defeated by Dante, and she waits for Dante to return at his shop.
So less a question of chronology, and more one of numerology. 0_0

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
CoCage said:

So less a question of chronology, and more one of numerology. 0_0
Chronologically, this is the correct story order. 5 takes place many years after for 4, but it has not been confirmed if it takes place after 2.