Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The game seemed so determined to cram the itself full of in-jokes and references, that it seemingly forgot to clue in any new players into what was actually going on. And that is fine, I guess? If I come into a franchise, 5 or so games in, expecting the last 4 games to be explained to me, I guess that is my fault - I just found it odd, because I have never played the sequel to a game that I have never touched, and felt so left in the dark.
The game has a recap episode you can view. Also, it is the 5th game in a 20 year old franchise! Of course there are going to be a ton of in-jokes, callbacks, and references to older titles. Continuity! (sing song voice) Those streamers had a full fucking year, and most of them did not take any advantage at all. Don''t know what the hell they were expecting. At least you are honest about making your decision instead of blaming the game, Capcom, or DMC fans. I have thread for this too when it comes to starting off at sequels:

My takeaway from the game was that the combat was reasonably fun (not too into brawlers),
No problem, everyone is different.

with a goofy tone
Yes. That has always been a staple of the series aside from 2 and the reboot.

and an incoherent story.
Disagree big time. I know the games a little flashback happy, but the story is coherent and easy to follow. My older brother barely remembers the stories for all of the DMC games, yet he was able to follow 5's story just fine. For the record, I did not give any details about the previous stories in the games.

But I guess that the game just isnt for me.
Once again: no problem. At least you're honest about it. Most streamers tried to act like they were "invested", but you can tell by their body language and face, that they did want to play anymore. Some hid it better than others, but it was clearly visible. Yeah, complain about the people watching you play the game that you requested or chose to do yourself without bothering to play any of the games where they are all available on most platforms. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited: