Diablo 2 Resurrected; Just like how you remembered it.... now with better graphics

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Before I start this impression/review piece let me be clear in saying that I am fully aware of what's happening at Activision Blizzard. I am against their antics, and this game was bought purely for my love of the original.

21 years. That's how long it has been since the release of Diablo 2. Since then, it has gained a significant fanbase, with the franchise seemly taking a rollercoaster of events. We went from crap launch of Diablo 3, "Do you guys not have phones?" announcement of Diablo Immortals, to concerning updates on Diablo 4, and now here we are. This is a great looter rpg to play until the release of Diablo 4, or it can be the game to play instead of Diablo 4

Graphics
They have done an excellent job of recreating familiar areas with modern graphics. It's just not in-game, but they have also re-animated cinematics between each Acts as well. I understand these cinematics were amazing back in 2000s, but if I see them today I can't tell what is going on because some scenes are too dark and they are generally in low resolution. With the re-animated cinematics, I enjoy watching these and makes me more invested in the story. I feel this was what was missing in StarCraft Remastered. I loved the redesign of the main game, but it was weird constantly going back and forth between that and the old cinematics.

I am aware the updated design of some classes are ugly, but with how the camera always locked in isometric angle, I found myself not caring at all what their faces looks like. What I did noticed were the new animations for attacking, walking, casting spell, enemies, and etc no longer have the choppiness of the old; All in-game animations look smoother and appealing to the modern audience. There is always a button you can press to go back to the old graphics, and you can tell just how far we've come.

Gameplay
This is a huge point that will divide the line of whether you will enjoy the game or not. If you loved the original D2, or generally are fan of roguelike looter rpg, with randomized drops, then this will be a perfect game for you. The overworlds are purposely left empty, so you don;t have to explore every inch of them. The dungeons you find are worth your time, as there are chances to reward you with cool gears.

The mobs you encounter on your journey can seem recycled with different colors, but new ones are added as you progress. I am still impressed by all of their designs. The boss fights are epic, especially on higher difficulty with friends. The randomized loots are great rewards for defeating them. The remaster has both the base and the LOD expansion, and withit, all 7 classes. They are all still fun to play and experiment with. There are many builds that you can find online, but they all feel appropriate to your class. I am currently working on a flaming werebear druid build, which is amazing as it sounds.

There is no personal loot in the remaster, which might be a turn off for some of you. I mostly like to solo these games so it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the limited ways to switch between online and offline. With no LAN option, you are forced to have your character go back and forth in each mode.

Also, the hotkey assignment can be really frustrating. One player on Reddit has reported how hotkeys seem to reset for every new build they start.

Story
Nothing seems to be changed, which is a good thing. Yes, the story of D2 may look standard, and there were many other dark fantasy stories told since its release, but Diablo has captured many with the way it tells the story. The world-building and character designs of the game are still impressive today, and you'll know why the game is being praised so much. As I said above, the cinematics has been redone, and it gave me a new sense of how terrifying Diablo actually is.

Bugs and technical stuff
As with any game's launch, there are plenty of bugs and technical issues being reported, according to this reddit megathread. I personally haven't encountered any connection issues nor crashes, but I did encounter some progression bugs here and there; I would save and exit, come back, and I am back at a few stages before. It wasn't too much of a setback nor did it take a long time to get back to where I was, but still strange regardless.

Overall
For $40, there is a lot of stuff offered here. If you are a fan of darl fantasy and love RNG looter mechanic, then you are going love this game. If you aren't, then maybe Kena might be a better choice for you. There are also some issues in gameplay and bugs, and that might stop you from fully enjoying this remaster

8/10

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I just want to add that playing on Playstation or with a controller is such a better experience than mouse and keyboard imo.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Well this wasn't a Warcraft 3: Reforged scenario so thank goodness.

They learned

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Just finished Act 1 Normal. I came across a couple irritating bugs where the "I have important shit to say" dialog marker didn't pop up, or some text got auto skipped and there was no option to re-listen, but otherwise not much hasn't been working for me.

I'm really not finding any good shit which is killing me but but otherwise its been a really nice trip down memory lane. Now for Act 2, which I have hated since the days or yore.

Alienware

Elite Member
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Canada
I just want to add that playing on Playstation or with a controller is such a better experience than mouse and keyboard IMO.
Really? This sounds odd to me since I've always played d2 with a keyboard and mouse, I just can't imagine how you are supposed to teleport and loot items with a controller. Did you get this for PS5? I am still unsure if I should get for pc or PS5.
🤔

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
This sucks, because I want this game. I WANT IT.
But some fuckers couldn't keep their dicks in their pants and hands off the interns, so the whole company smells now, and giving them money just feels wrong.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Really? This sounds odd to me since I've always played d2 with a keyboard and mouse, I just can't imagine how you are supposed to teleport and loot items with a controller. Did you get this for PS5? I am still unsure if I should get for pc or PS5.
🤔
So you can assign abilities to the face buttons and r1 and r2. Then if you hold l2 you get a different set of abilities on those same buttons for 12 skills quickly hotkeyed. Movement on the stick is so much smoother as well. Teleport just goes in the direction you are pointing the movement stick in.

Picking up loot works with the X button.

The only thing that is worse, is using items requires holding X on the item. So it's a bit slower than just quickly right clicking.

Oh! potions on the belt are used with the direction pad. Each direction is assigned to a belt slot.

Reactions: Alienware

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This sucks, because I want this game. I WANT IT.
But some fuckers couldn't keep their dicks in their pants and hands off the interns, so the whole company smells now, and giving them money just feels wrong.
I was the same way, but technically this is just a blizzard IP being made by Vicarious Visions. And Vicarious has issued statements about the Blizzard stuff and said that they understand if you chose not to support the game. But to be fair, this game is Blizzard in name only as there was no development done by Blizzard at all, except maybe giving VV the source code.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I was the same way, but technically this is just a blizzard IP being made by Vicarious Visions. And Vicarious has issued statements about the Blizzard stuff and said that they understand if you chose not to support the game. But to be fair, this game is Blizzard in name only as there was no development done by Blizzard at all, except maybe giving VV the source code.
For real and for true? 'cause that might be enough of a Bacon number to get some of my palberts to get it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Except that isn't the case.

Development began on the game by Team 1 in 2020, who worked on the remake from 2020 to late 2020. After that, development was handed to Team 3 and Vicarious Visions.

It was co-developed, and assuming that all development is equal by time period, the remake is down more to Blizzard than VV.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Except that isn't the case.

Development began on the game by Team 1 in 2020, who worked on the remake from 2020 to late 2020. After that, development was handed to Team 3 and Vicarious Visions.

It was co-developed, and assuming that all development is equal by time period, the remake is down more to Blizzard than VV.
IIRC development didn't get far by blizz cuz of covid, so activision moved the project to VV because they were free at the time.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
IIRC development didn't get far by blizz cuz of covid, so activision moved the project to VV because they were free at the time.
"Development of a Diablo II remake began in 2020, after the release of Warcraft III: Reforged. Team 1 was assigned to the project. Reportedly, members of the team wanted to avoid the mistakes that had led to the poor reception to Reforged. However, in that year, a postmortem concerning Reforged was carried out. Team 1 was removed from the project, and development was placed in the hands of Team 3 and Vicarious Visions."

Maybe Covid played a role, but basically, the powers that be were peaved at the botched job of Reforged (conveniently ignoring how they were responsible for botching it), hence why development was shifted to Team 3 and VV.