Diablo 3 To Be Edited For Australia, Germany

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Diablo 3 To Be Edited For Australia, Germany

Diablo 3 [http://www.diablo3.com/] Lead Designer Jay Wilson says he has no problem with editing the game for sale in regions like Australia and Germany, but that the restrictions demanded by China may be "a lot of trouble."

Diablo is a violent, bloody series and that's a heritage Diablo 3 appears ready to embrace, but in order to make the game palatable for as wide an audience as possible Blizzard is building parental controls into the game which will let players tone down or turn off the blood and gore. While the specifics haven't yet been finalized, Wilson said everything in the game has been built so it can be changed to accommodate not just parental concerns, but also regional ones.

"For regions like Germany and Australia, we will have to change blood if we're going to sell there. And that's fine. Those are the standards for those regions, and we don't really have a problem with catering to what they need and what they want," he told Wired [http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/08/diablo-iii/].

"But China's going to be hard for us. Because a lot of the restrictions there are really... We may not be able to do them. It may not be possible," he continued. "With our relationship with NetEase, we recently got new information about what China really wants, and it's a lengthy list. It's really hard for us to cater to. We'll try. There's no reason we wouldn't want to go there, but there is a certain point where we'd have to redo so much of the game that it's not viable anymore."

While the game may not fly in China and he admitted that he expects at least a small amount of controversy over the inclusion of parental controls, Wilson said Blizzard is committed to keeping Diablo 3 true to its roots. "Diablo is our Mature-rated series, and it's important for us that it be that," he said. "It's our goal, and that's where we want it to be."

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
nice of them to change for germany and australia, and respectable that they wont want to make an entirely new game for china.

but i suspect that shipped games in all three country's will be above normal.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
sirdanrhodes said:
For some reason, I fail to be surprised by this.
after a while you just remember that Australia and Germany do this all the time, I'm never surprised when Australia and Germany censor games.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I truly hope they don't cave to China's ridiculous standards. I'm sorry that China may not be able to play Diablo 3, but if enough gaming companies refuse to cater to their standards I'm willing to bet the government will revoke it for increased entertainment trade or due to huge petitions.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Feel free to correct me, but doesn't adding parental controls to a game thats sold as a Mature Rated series kinda defeat the purpose? It's kinda like if they made Friday the 13th: Sesame Street Edition.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
DayDark said:
I wanna know what the hell china demanded!

Is the list anywhere?
Probably no bones and undead. Just as in WoW.
Yeah, they have some strange obsession with the living undead. And showing parts of human body.

...Weird, weird country.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I would also like a full list of what China wants and why they want it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Destal said:
I truly hope they don't cave to China's ridiculous standards. I'm sorry that China may not be able to play Diablo 3, but if enough gaming companies refuse to cater to their standards I'm willing to bet the government will revoke it for increased entertainment trade or due to huge petitions.
In China? If you hand that government a petition they'll just forward it to state security marked "dissidents"!

canadamus_prime said:
Feel free to correct me, but doesn't adding parental controls to a game thats sold as a Mature Rated series kinda defeat the purpose? It's kinda like if they made Friday the 13th: Sesame Street Edition.
Half-Life has a parental control mode already, it's probably for parents who think the game would be suitable for their kids if the gore is turned down. After all Diablo isn't exactly a horrible game but the gore is a bit over the top in places.

Spucktier

Jul 13, 2009
black lincon said:
sirdanrhodes said:
For some reason, I fail to be surprised by this.
after a while you just remember that Australia and Germany do this all the time, I'm never surprised when Australia and Germany censor games.
I don't think the word 'censorship' is the right one to use in this case.

Germany simply created a classification system that exactly handles what is allowed to be displayed, advertised and sold to people below the age of 18.
As far as I know Australia does not have a media classification instance like the USK (Unterhaltunssoftware Selbstkontrolle) or BPjM (Bundesprüfstelle für jugendgefährende Medien) in Germany which sucks big time for developers and publishers.

Blizzard has three choices in Germany:
1) Hand over D3 for classification to the USK and aim for a USK 16 release which means if you're 16 years of age or older, you can grab your copy from the local retailer or amazon.
2) Hand over D3 for classification to the USK and aim for a USK 18 release which means the seller has to verify the buyers age.
3) Completely skip classification which would result in a "no youth release" label which means it is not allowed to be sold to persons under the age of 18.

If they would not hand D3 over to the USK for classification it would be possible for the BPjM to put the game onto the index which means nobody is allowed to display, show or advertise the game in public or sell the game retail except the seller can verify the buyer is at least 18 years of age. However, if a game has already received a classification from the USK (doesn't matter which one) it must not be indexed.

Personally, I'll definitely import the UK version of Diablo III like I do with all my PS3 games too. amazon.co.uk is ~ 20 euros cheaper compared to amazon.de - and I'll get the original (hopefully) kick-ass voicecasting version :D

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well, Yahtzee's not gona like this I bet.

Still, I guess it can't be helped... wish Australia and Germany would tone down their rating systems though =\

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
KDR_11k said:
canadamus_prime said:
Half-Life has a parental control mode already, it's probably for parents who think the game would be suitable for their kids if the gore is turned down. After all Diablo isn't exactly a horrible game but the gore is a bit over the top in places.
Yes, but Jay Wilson himself said in the above article that "Diablo is our Mature-rated series," so putting parental controls on your quote "Mature-rated series" seems like, to me at least, putting training wheels on a Harley.

Cougies

Jun 30, 2008
Dragon Age is has been aloud into Australia, so I think he is jumping the gun a bit there. They haven't even shown the game to the OFLC, and it's due out in 2012. As an Australian, I'm not worried yet, as it's a fair way off, and if they alow games like DragonAge in, then I have good hope that a full version of Diablo 3 will come in.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Glad to be in the US, where the only way to ensure your game can't be sold is to include extreme sexual content in it. Seriously, that's the ONLY way to get the A-Only rating these days. And even then you can hawk your stuff online.