Diablo 3's Rise of the Necromancer DLC Will Launch Next Week

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Diablo 3's Rise of the Necromancer DLC Will Launch Next Week

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1415/1415112.jpgBlizzard has announced that the Rise of the Necromancer DLC for Diablo 3 will release next week.

We've been waiting on Blizzard to announce the Rise of the Necromancer DLC for a while. After all, people have been playing it in closed beta since April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170061-Diablo-3-Necromancer-Closed-Beta]. Now the wait is over, as Blizzard has announced that the new expansion will launch on June 27.

This expansion will bring the Necromancer class back to Diablo, and will also add all of this:

Golem in-game pet
Cosmetic Wings of the Crypt Guardian
2 additional character slots
2 stash tabs for PC gamers
Necromancer portrait, banner, sigil, and accent
Blood Master pennant

Also launching on the same day is the Diablo 3 Eternal Collection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170491-Diablo-3-Eternal-Collection-Gets-ESRB-Rating-for-PS4-Xbox-One] for PS4 and Xbox One. This will package the base game, the Reaper of Souls expansion, and the Rise of the Necromancer. PS Plus and Xbox Gold members will be offered a "special introductory price" of $40 for the package, while the regular retail price will be $60.

The expansion will cost $15 when it launches next Tuesday for PC, PS4, and Xbox One.

[gallery=7525]

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I feel like Diablo is played out at this point, and a new class can't fix it. It's fun at first, but the gameplay quickly wears out it's welcome as do the enemies and bosses.

Unlike say Borderlands 2, Destiny, The Division etc., where even when you reach max level and have good gear the game still requires you to be an active participant and requires some skill and interactivity; in Diablo the game at max level and once you get halfway decent gear basically plays itself and your only input is to make sure you don't stand on an Arcane Orb or get caught by a Molten Waller. The game can basically be played by a bot at that point.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Geeze, prices for character/class dlcs are just getting more and more ridiculous as time goes on. The Street Fighter X Tekken extra characters pack was what, 8 or 12 characters for the same price as this?

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
I was about to say that the price is surprisingly OK (and it still is if you count in the Blizzard Tax), but, as Xorph above me said: Even fighting game - character packs are more reasonably priced.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
I feel like Diablo is played out at this point, and a new class can't fix it. It's fun at first, but the gameplay quickly wears out it's welcome as do the enemies and bosses.

Unlike say Borderlands 2, Destiny, The Division etc., where even when you reach max level and have good gear the game still requires you to be an active participant and requires some skill and interactivity; in Diablo the game at max level and once you get halfway decent gear basically plays itself and your only input is to make sure you don't stand on an Arcane Orb or get caught by a Molten Waller. The game can basically be played by a bot at that point.
You could play at higher difficulties.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Xorph said:
Geeze, prices for character/class dlcs are just getting more and more ridiculous as time goes on. The Street Fighter X Tekken extra characters pack was what, 8 or 12 characters for the same price as this?
Naldan said:
I was about to say that the price is surprisingly OK (and it still is if you count in the Blizzard Tax), but, as Xorph above me said: Even fighting game - character packs are more reasonably priced.
Keeping in mind, to some extent, that Blizzard has been continuously updating Diablo III for free since Reaper of Souls came out. It would be like if said fighting game introduced the occasional new character for free over time, then asked for money when they released a new major group of characters.

In essence, you're paying for the Necromancer whilst tipping Blizzard for everything you got for free post-RoS. A "kudos for all of the free stuff; here's somethin' as a thank you." A mandatory thank-you-tip, but still.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
$15?

You're pushing it Blizz. Why can't you get a package with only the Necromancer?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Saelune said:
Paragon Fury said:

You could play at higher difficulties.
Difficulty is irrelevant really, once you have decent gear.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
linkblade91 said:
Xorph said:
Naldan said:
Keeping in mind, to some extent, that Blizzard has been continuously updating Diablo III for free since Reaper of Souls came out. It would be like if said fighting game introduced the occasional new character for free over time, then asked for money when they released a new major group of characters.

In essence, you're paying for the Necromancer whilst tipping Blizzard for everything you got for free post-RoS. A "kudos for all of the free stuff; here's somethin' as a thank you." A mandatory thank-you-tip, but still.
For me, it's been a mixed bag. I'd rather had payed them 30 bucks or even 40 for a RoS expansion than getting half-assed regions for free. But mechanics-wise, it has been awesome if I would have had cared for longer than 3 months, and some actually appaled me from returning. As you might know, there is another new class of items now in the game - primal or something like that. On top of that, there is now another, better primal. Perfect primals or something like that. Perfect for the class as far as I know.

Now, and I know that this part is dumb, but: It drops just like any other legendary. The loot looks the same, there is no new region or difficulty requirement, event, etc. to get these.

I recently forced myself to play Torchlight II again and was pretty bored. Really, even though I would even prefer Diablo II's style over Diablo III's, III's still has better endorphin-inducing triggers and RoS's atmosphere was a step-up from vanilla III's atmosphere.

With no new, fully fleshed-out content and confusing (and thus lessening) drop system, I have no reason to come back until I run out of alternatives. Have to play Torchlight II, Van Helsing I + II (thanks to BSoDs, haven't played them really), Titan Quest and eventually Path of Exile to try out. I don't care that much about multiplayer, since back when I was into DIII my internet sucked hard in comparison to now and I have to get fixed by the need for playing this multiplayer, so that falls flat for me as well.

So not even the patches did much for me. And thus this character pack is overpriced and I still can't wrap my head around their reason for not creating another expansion pack. After RoS, DIII became quite popular in my circle and we played it (I later more sparsely) until we found out that the expansion got scrapped. Because the well ran dry for us. Gotta say that I also had incredible drop-luck with my Demon Hunter.