Diablo III Hands On

Azure Sky

Dec 17, 2009
thespanner said:
This.

Players shouldn't be saddled with an unplayable character in the mid to late game (how many players gave up transitioning from normal to nightmare, for example?) because they didn't plan precisely how to spend all the skill points they would acquire from the moment they began the game. It's unreasonable to expect players to understand how all the skills are going to play based only on how they are described.

Yes, some people are going to grind through fifty playthroughs to hone their build, but there are plenty of others who will play once, or a small handful of times, and shouldn't be denied the opportunity to properly experience the gameplay for the whole amount of time they choose to play.

(By the way, if you guys really want to be cynics you should complain about this shift to advanced-build-customisation-through-runes in the context of the introduction of the real money store, given that runes will presumably be tradeable.)
Mhm, I remember my Orb-sorc vividly enough.

I also remember having NOTHING BUT FKN COLD BOLT till level 30... =(

Or even a Hamm0rdin/Avenger, Those had even less offensive power pre 18/24 respectively.

And don't even get me started on a Bone-Necro, fkn teeth. =(

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Don't buy this game for 60 new. Blizz will realize they are making so much money on the RMAH that they will sell the box for something trivial for $5.

You can bet on that.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Olrod said:
But how many of those 15 years were they their own company and not a subsidiary of Activision?
None of them. Blizzard has been a subsidiary of a holding company since before Warcraft 1 came out. That argument never gets old.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Never mind that my mind had just been reeling with the news of the real money auction house, not to mention the issues of the game's always-on Internet requirement and lack of support for mods.
Well I think all the salient information that any gamer with an ounce of sense needs about the game is right there.

This is a game where the developer/publisher (I don't care which) is brazenly bending you over a barrel and pounding your ass.. and asking you to pay though the nose for the privilege.

Only a child or an utter moron would buy into this. IMO.

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
Continuity said:
Only a child or an utter moron would buy into this. IMO.
Or someone who doesn't care one bit about the single player mode of a game that's been described by the developers as a co-op game :p

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Odlus said:
Or someone who doesn't care one bit about the single player mode of a game that's been described by the developers as a co-op game :p
And what bearing exactly does that have on the always on internet requirement, no mods, and a real currency auction house?

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I could live with all the rest, I was going to buy it and a shiny new gaming PC to play it on, until the whole RMAH business. Now not only am I not going to buy it, but wouldn't even play it if it was free, since any minute spent playing a pay to win game is a minute wasted.

Odlus

Feb 2, 2011
Continuity said:
Odlus said:
And what bearing exactly does that have on the always on internet requirement, no mods, and a real currency auction house?
Really? You're really asking why someone planning on playing the online from the beginning has any bearing on how they'd feel about a constant internet requirement to play and a lack of mods? You're really asking this after calling other people morons?

Here, let me help:

Someone who was going to play online anyway already expected to have an internet connection while playing. If they had any experience with the Diablo series, they'd also expect mods to not work on closed Battlenet anyway.

The only people these two things affect are people who wanted to play offline (not even necessarily "single player" because you can easily play alone on Bnet while still having the option to play with others available at any time) or people who wanted to play over lan which is something I really don't care about at all.

And the auction house isn't going to provide anything that third party sources weren't going to provide anyway. There's no practical reason to be upset over that one unless Blizzard forces people to provide credit card info to play the game even if they have no intention of using the real money auction house.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Kurokami said:
Kahunaburger said:
Sweet. This isn't my thing, but it makes me very happy about the near future for RPGs.
Why?

Sorta like saying that playing soccer on concrete made out of spikes isn't your thing cause you don't like soccer but are happy for its direction.

I mean, his general message was "Diablo was great, therefore I don't care about the system flaws" (or whatever you want to call DRM and such), you're saying that Diablo isn't your thing. Which is understandable, but I don't get your perspective if you say it makes you happy for the near future of RPGs, unless you're stocked for the DRM and micro transactions maybe?

(I'm sincerely confused. Not just being a dick)
Because I like other RPGs. Diablo III being a good game and doing well means two things to me:

A) Inspiration for other RPG devs in terms of mechanics and gameplay*,

B) The suits see RPGs making money and are more likely to okay RPGs in the future, especially if other RPGs coming out this year are also successful.

So even if it isn't my thing and I have absolutely no intention of playing it, I can still root for it because a year from now if successful it will be part of a "RPGs sell" narrative being aimed at developers.

*Edit: and I don't see the concept of micro-transactions being that workable for someone who isn't Blizzard and doesn't already have the infrastructure to handle it.
I see, that makes a lot more sense but to be honest, in my mind it would play out in the opposite direction. Yes, companies might be more keen on RPGs, but more specifically they will be drawn to Diablo-esque RPGs, which we've established don't particularly interest you. It's possible that some developer will start to think of a twist to the series that will reinvent it slightly, but somehow I doubt it would be so dramatic as to still attract you if you aren't particularly interested in its close cousins. Then again, who'm I to make these predictions?

Anyway thanks for clarifying.