DICE Putting "Special Effort" Into Battlefield 3 on PC

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
if it doesnt have coop gameplay (ala MP vs bots) then I'm just as uninterested as I am with BC2, I really do hope they put coop in tho, BF use to have it with 1942 & Vietnam.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
By definition, "Extraordinary" means 'beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established: exceptional in character, amount, extent, degree, etc.'

If this is applied to Battlefield's standards of the past, this means that Battlefield will not live up to this label unless it does more than the following standards of previous games:

Has AT LEAST 53 weapons,
Has AT LEAST 35 land, air, sea and undersea vehicles,
Has AT LEAST 12 sea vehicles, of which ALL of them can be piloted.
Has AT LEAST 64 player servers, with full size maps fully open all the time,
Has AT LEAST an optional squad system,
Has AT LEAST dedicated servers,
Has AT LEAST a Battle Recorder as decent as BF2's
Has AT LEAST up to 63 bots, all playable at once in a match,
Has AT LEAST the ability by the bots to use every gun and vehicle except the submarine and artillery spotting,
Has AT LEAST zoomed crosshair and ironsight options.
Has AT LEAST 16 Maps when the game first ships, all singleplayer supported
Has AT LEAST 4 completely different kinds of environments
Has AT LEAST 5 different factions to fight for.
Has AT LEAST Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag and Rush modes.
And allows for crouching AND going prone.

Now in my eyes, extraordinary would only describe it if all these criteria were met, and THEN expanded on, like putting competent bots in submarines and Capture the Flag, having more than 4 types of terrain, and allowing the vehicles to aim weaponry with crosshairs while in 3rd person view (especially the fighter aircraft).

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
I believe PC owners should get a pat on the back from DICE for our support for this game. These are the current stats from bfbcs.com.

Global PC Statistics

Players at bfbcs:
2 196 100
Players online:
19 029
Servers:
7 197

Global XBOX360 Statistics

Players at bfbcs:
2 463 777
Players online:
10 376
Servers:
4 611

Global PS3 Statistics

Players at bfbcs:
1 977 025
Players online:
11 706
Servers:
4 066

These stats have been consistent the whole time with PC players nearly matching Xbox 360 for amount of total players and normally with more PC users actual playing the game. Not bad for a 'dead' format.

But by the same token I don't think what DICE will finally do will be considered by most people special effort or extraordinary. But I will be happy to be proved wrong.....

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
By special effort they better mean its developed on PC and ported to Console. Otherwise its still going to be a subpar product. the Bad Company series just feel like console ports.

give me my vehicle variety back and stop hand holding me down specific corridors.

How i dream the Battlefield franchise will get back to its most epic roots in BF1942! Do whatever the hell you want expansiveness coupled with the largest vehicle variety of any BF game to date!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Squilookle said:
By definition, "Extraordinary" means 'beyond what is usual, ordinary, regular, or established: exceptional in character, amount, extent, degree, etc.'

If this is applied to Battlefield's standards of the past, this means that Battlefield will not live up to this label unless it does more than the following standards of previous games:

Has AT LEAST 53 weapons,
Has AT LEAST the ability by the bots to use every gun and vehicle except the submarine and artillery spotting,

Now in my eyes, extraordinary would only describe it if all these criteria were met, and THEN expanded on, like putting competent bots in submarines and Capture the Flag, having more than 4 types of terrain, and allowing the vehicles to aim weaponry with crosshairs while in 3rd person view (especially the fighter aircraft).
you sir are a man after my own heart <3

MazeMinion

Mar 7, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Mornelithe said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Just get rid of Punkbuster and I'll buy it.
Lack of Punkbuster would make me not buy a game. This day and age, it's a requirement, too many hacks and aimbots for my liking.
That isn't my beef with Punkbuster. When it was used in Battlefield Heroes, it would punt people for having bad pings, and since nobody could host a match without paying, it meant that Punkbuster could target anyone. Mainly me.
Not to mention it kicks me all the time for having a "Disallowed program/driver", when all I'm running is Steam and Kaspersky (which excludes Punkbuster) in the background.

Ramin 123

Apr 23, 2010
id_doomer said:
Oh. Oh great. You know what the last game we heard was getting 'special effort' put into it. To make sure that it was as good as it could be when it gets it's PC release. Fable 3; several rounds of DLC for the XBox360 version later, and us PC users are still waiting...

I for one just hope that the PC version of Battlefield 3 reclaims the PC it's crown for First Person Shooting on a massive scale; I mean come on, M.A.G. got to 256 player servers before us, and that's a PS3 game.
I'd trust the guys at EA DICE a lot more quickly than that dribbling baboon that is Peter Monlyneux. I appreciate Monlyneux's enthusiasm for making something new and so on but he comes out with such shite nobody takes him seriously.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Squilookle said:

Has AT LEAST 53 weapons,

you sir are a man after my own heart <3
Let's just hope someone in charge at Dice is too- otherwise we might have to start up our own company instead...