DICE Says No to Mod Tools For Battlefield 3

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
If someone isn't going to release an editor that's fine - it sucks, but I do understand that not every game will get an editor.

But deciding not to release an editor because it's "too complex"? Come on, not only is that insulting but it makes absolutely no sense. Sure it will likely reduce the number of mods out there but there is incredible talent in the modding community and I'm sure plenty of people would have figured out the editor well enough to make excellent mods.

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Hammeroj said:
Let me run this through the bullshit translator.

"We're planning on ripping people off with map packs."

Hmm.
Pretty much.

Doesn't matter, probably wasn't going to buy the game in the first place, but now I'm especially not buying it.
I say we start a internet petition!

Seriously though, I am not buying this now.
Kizi said:
I'm getting it on PS3 anyway. Though this probably sucks for dedicated modders, I respect DICE, they know what they're doing.
Listening to EA?

Edit: Dice said that the preorder bonus maps are going to be eventually free.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Hammeroj said:
Let me run this through the bullshit translator.

"We're planning on ripping people off with map packs."

Hmm.
If I'm not mistaken weren't the Maps for the last Battlefield free? Or is hating on EA the new fad around here?

OT: As long as I don't see 32 players in a 12 player-size map I don't care. That ruins multiplayer for me. then again this is Battlefield so the maps should be vast.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Yeah it sucks. Mods are great fun and extend the life of a game for consumers, but PC games WITHOUT modding tools far outnumber those with them. I'm not going to reach for the razor just because of this. Honestly though, I fear the day when something really (read: 'actually') 'bad' happens. The Net and the entire earth will probably explode.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Imper1um said:
RIP Dedicated Servers
RIP PC Support Equality
RIP Mods

What more is just going away, "because it is too complex"?
They still have dedicated servers for Battlefield 3. Call of Duty is the one that nixed them. And also they've developed the PC version separately from the console version. As for the mods I don't know. I think if there's enough of an outcry they could eventually release them. Personally they should have been honest and just said "if we try to include mod tools this game will be in development for another 2 years".

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
This is a shame. Mod communities make great games greater. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and ARMA II are great examples of what a mod community can bring to a game.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Hammeroj said:
For one, it hasn't taken that long for them to develop the game, so obviously it's not all that time consuming. For another, not having mod support is the best way to force people to pay for new maps, etc.
I wouldn't expect anything less from a studio who have developed the engine tools in-house, more or less from the ground up, whilst concurrently developing a product. My understanding is that most mod tools people use have been developed into a much more user friendly and streamlined SDK by a developer.

Is it that much of a stretch to believe that the engine tools aren't ready for public use, and that DICE wants to focus on finishing and polishing one of the most anticipated games on time?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Give modders enough time and enough tools, they can turn the game upside down and make it better then the developers ever could, and keep it fresh and alive for years to come. On top of that many mods are free, so its out of their own boredum and desire to show off that produces them.

Look at Oblivion, the game is 5 years old and has a still very active game that not only extends the life of the game but fixes any bugs that were present in it's launch. I can't wait to see what they do with Skyrim in due time.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Jonny49 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Battlefield 3 engine is too complex for mods, says developer.
Shouldn't that be for the modders decide?
Exactly. Let us decide if it's too hard or not. We're big boys.

Realistically, it makes sense. Can't sell custom maps for 15 dollars per 4 (expansion, lol)

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Wow. They really stuck with the "Not good enough" argument.
Seriously, just show them some mods for Daggerfall. That game was buggy, messy and internet wasn't even mainstream by then but still people managed to make at least 5 mods for it(I know not a big number)

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Its more like "EA says no to potential revenue loss on paid DLCs casued by Gamers ability to create their own maps and mods".

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So the question is did BF1942 come with official Mod tools? and was all the awesome sauce mods i.e. Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope, made completely outside official SDK?

Seriously just sounds like a terrible excuse to me.

Dana22 said:
Its more like "EA says no to potential revenue loss on paid DLCs casued by Gamers ability to create their own maps and mods".
also that

Littlee300

Oct 26, 2009
666Chaos said:
Littlee300 said:
Listening to EA?
You know what they say about people who make assumptions.
How dare you assume that was an assumption?

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Mr.K. said:
Well we were over this in another thread, it's a simple way to limit user generated content so you get to sell your own, remember they are owned by EA.

The only question is do they have the steel nuts to charge 15$ for 5 maps yet, like some other companies do...
Does BF3 get zombie modes? If it doesn't and they still charge 15$ which is the only reason to buy a map pack from....other companies.... they're SOL.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Imper1um said:
RIP Dedicated Servers
RIP PC Support Equality
RIP Mods

What more is just going away, "because it is too complex"?
Aren't there still dedicated servers and 64-man multiplayer for the PC version?