Dictators according to Japan

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Aww, the one with Tito is adorable.

We were all his little children (until we tried to kill each other).

May 17, 2010
Honestly I don't think pictures are great. They just don't look "right".

Also let's be fair, the drawing of dictators, strongmen and autocats isn't a national past time in Japan. This is a book written to be fethisy/parody moeification.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Queen Michael said:
I don't see how they're supposed to look like the dictators. Where's Fidel's cigar?
This DID come out of Japan... It's probably for the best that we don't know where that cigar is.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Oh, wow. So it's a bunch of "sexy anime" drawings of dictators, except none of them actually look like the person they're designed after. The closest they ever get is, "Yeah, this looks like a jacket I might have seen Castro wear in a picture once" or "Duvalier was big into voodoo - that's like being a Halloween witch, right?". Fuck, some of them aren't even dictators.

Guy who did this. Get your shit together.

EDIT: Fidel fucking loved baseball, though, I'll give them that.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
el derpenburgo said:
I know this is a semi-joke but I can't believe no one's called out the OP for lumping that one crazy subsect of Japan that always churns out the weird stuff with all of Japan. I'm not even close to being a weeaboo but I'm pretty sure this is analogous to grouping all Americans with the WBC. Come on people, Japan does have its crazy shit but sometimes it really is as crazy to them as it is to you or me. Like these pictures. I think.
Pretty much this. People on the internet need to get over this trend of finding weird stuff that comes out of Japan and then going "Oh Japan you so crazy!" like it's how all of them think over there.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Most of them don?t even resemble who they?re meant to represent, but meh. I won?t bash good wank material.

But no, I?m not surprised, considering I happen to quite frequently browse Rule 34 and Rule 63 material out of both morbid and sexual curiosity.

Zykon TheLich said:
why were none of the African dictator's black?
Because black female characters in anime are either ridiculous blackface stereotypes, or just look like tanned or extremely tanned Caucasian or Asian people that may happen to have white hair.

chiggerwood said:
Hitler as a lolicon? Does anyone else want to see a television show where Hitler gets reincarnated as a little girl in middle class suburbia all of the sudden or is that just me?
It's DEFINITELY not just you. XD

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
So yeah i don't post a lot here in the escapist...... but i see people here don't read before postingXD

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
Ha! Not bad, though i don't really like anime. Some of them are quite clever though, for example the one with Tito, as another poster mentioned above (having to rule over many peoples in one nation that bikered all the time like kids, etc.), the one with the polish dictator, etc. :D

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
SecretNegative said:
How is painting Anime schoolgirls that vaguely (in the vaguest possible sence) resemble a real life historical person brilliant?

No seriously, is the standards of anime really set that low?
You try drawing better... and I don't even think this is anime, just artwork. But ho I would watch this if it were.

GunsmithKitten said:
MammothBlade said:
GunsmithKitten said:
wombat_of_war said:
only the japanese could turn hitler into a demonic little evil painter school girl
Xenophobic, extremely racist culture that was not only an ally of Hitler but also was stiff competition for the Third Reich's kill count of civilians in death camps.

Yea, with that in mind, no surprise that Hitler is viewed as a cute and lovable schoolgirl painter.
Oh come on, you have to be very stiff not to have a good chuckle at the genderbent moe versions of dictators. Doesn't matter what you think of Japan, this is just brilliant...
No. I don't laugh at it. And it's precisely because of what I think of the Japanese.
That's just as racist/xenophobic as you accuse the Japanese of being. Please get a sense of humour.

Yes, there is some underlying xenophobia & racism in Japanese culture, once a gaijin always a gaijin, that sort of thing. But you don't have chopstick-crucifixions of Chinese or lynch mobs after black people. You'll find similar levels of xenophobia and prejudice in many non-European countries, and you're just singling out Japan and generalising its entire population.

What happened 60 years ago shouldn't impact on how you see the younger generations of Japanese. This should not be interpreted as sympathy for said dictators in any way. Notice the equally glamorous characterisation of Kim Il-Sung, Chiang Kai-Shek, Mao Tse-Tung.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Okay, that's just silly. I mean sure, fetish fuel and all, and some of those pictures even might have a point, but hello? If it's meant as a joke, it's a joke, and anyone taking all that half-seriously should have their head examined.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
GunsmithKitten said:
Oh, I have the exact same sentiment about most of Asia. Fuck em. Fuck their culture. They want to be exclusionary and xenophobic, I got no problem giving it right back. Japan, however, gets some special attention from me thanks in part to the weeaboo'ism that paints it as some sort of neon paradise of nerd-dom as well as reading up on the jaw dropping shit they did in World War 2 that it not only has a hard time apologizing for, but not even admitting to.

And I'll stop generalizing it when their lawmakers catch up to even the point the US is at on race relations and segregation laws.
Well at least you're consistent... but wait, what? Is that an avatar based on anime-style artwork I see?

The answer to xenophobia is not xenophobia in return. A lot of countries have that sort of baggage, but the world will get nowhere if you hold a grudge against an entire group of people on the basis of a generalisation. I hope you hate people in Uganda, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia etc. just as much. I hope you don't ever plan to go anywhere that's not a "first world" country or even buy products from outside Europe or North America. But it's unfortunate, because you're limiting your own access to the world's cultural heritage by being just as narrow-minded and intolerant in this regard.

MammothBlade

Oct 12, 2011
SecretNegative said:
MammothBlade said:
You try drawing better... and I don't even think this is anime, just artwork. But ho I would watch this if it were.
You better not be serious, what kind of stupid response to critisism is "well you can't do better"? Are critics opinions worthwhile only if they make a better movie than the one they're reviewing? Is Jim Sterling required to make a better game than CoD: MW3 if he doesn't like it?

So basically, only directors Coppola, Scorcese, Taratino, Kubrick, Anderson, Fincher, Kurosawa and Miyasaki are allowed to critique movies? Only the best authors are allowed to critisise books?

Furthermore, the artstyle isn't what's bad, it's the concept itself, which is weird, disturbing (especially with the excessive panty-shots) and just don't serve a point or have a reason.
Of course I was joking, but you're just being negative about it. It doesn't have to have some solid reason or a point, it's just amusing. And "weird" or "disturbing" are hardly good criticisms of art; I'd say they're positive descriptors.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
....Sieg heil?

I don't even know anymore. Japan is fucking strange.
To be fair, Germany has produced it's own fair share of bizarre art.