Dicuss and rate the last Documentary you watched

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I looked. I thought we had one of these but few pages of search results didn't show us having one. Dunno if I can delete/merge if I'm wrong.

Last night I watched the 1st 1/2 of Pamela, A Love Story on Netflix.

Why is this woman so famous and mesmerizing? She is gorgeous. There is a ton of nudity in this. She seems, other than her incredible looks, to be a very average person. And yet...

I did find out a few new things in this. She comes from a home that has great difficulties.

She speaks of her dad abandoning the family. She had a female babysitter she claims sexually molested her and her brother. She also claims a 25 year old raped her when she was 12.

She does speak of immense pleasure and power she receives coming from her beauty. But she is also irked by those that think this is license to discuss with her private matters they should know to avoid out of basic human decency (ie, does she have breast implants? She does answer that, yes, she does. Odd in that I don't think she ever needed them. Says something about her perception of society's expectations).

And I didn't know she had kids. One named Brandon Lee (with Tommy Lee).

I had to interrupt watching around when her private sex tape was stolen and made public. Today, she, 55, is still worth some $20 million. Turning down $5 mil. from Bob Guccione must have stung but she did so. It seems obvious this was not a stunt but two love drunk people doing silly stuff together and had their privacy invaded.

Married 5 times? A love story with who?

Looking forward to 2nd 1/2.

7.5/10

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
From the other thread -

Wildcat

A no-frills nature doc about a young suicidal British vet losing himself in the service in Afghanistan and later finding himself in the deep jungles of Peru, where he meets a girl and they rescue baby ocelots from the illegal environmental encroachment of humanity’s finest /s and spend eighteen months teaching them to survive in the wild.

It’s cute, somewhat disturbing and would probably be something Kojima would get a kick out of.

”SNAAAAAAKE!!”. Yup, it’s got a few of those too.

Reactions: gorfias

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland

Was followed with a round table with her, her sister, and two academics working on femicide. What can I say. That it was a bit intense ? That we have a lot of work ahead, in all countries ?

In France, 31 women murdered by their partner or ex-partner since the start of 2023, and 111 in the course of 2022 (versus, for comparison. 15 men killed by female partners, 6 of which seemed to be in self-defense). In Switzerland, we just had a murder-suicide (5 dead) last thursday. Around 20 women killed per year in this tiny country. We still live in a socioculture that produces this imbalance of stakes and meanings within couples, a socioculture in which men are ten times more likely than women to use lethal violence in order to assert their control on intimate relationships. In each case, a man's control over a woman was deemed more important than life (hers and sometimes his own).

There's a lot to question. About causes, effects, means to evolve past this. And this varies somewhat from cultural context to cultural context, with still a same common ground. I don't expect people to stop murdering each others. But the day the rate of women deaths in the hands of men will be as low as the rate of men death in the hands of women, there will be one aspect on which our societies will be as civilized as they claim to be.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Dunno if it counts as a Documentary, but How It's Made is free on Tubi. I' having a great time watching how random things get built to the soothing sounds of soft beats

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
@Chimpzy have you checked out Chimp Empire on Netflix? It’s good enough to make me wish, at least to some extent, that I lived in the jungle. I could imagine learning the ways of these marvelous creatures, and failing often since, well, humans are kinda more chump than chimp.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
@Chimpzy have you checked out Chimp Empire on Netflix? It’s good enough to make me wish, at least to some extent, that I lived in the jungle. I could imagine learning the ways of these marvelous creatures, and failing often since, well, humans are kinda more chump than chimp.
I was initially asked to feature in it, but after the first interview they stopped calling, probably because they felt I'd just make you all look bad.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
One imagines the people trying to be chimpanzees are also into paleo diets and stuff, and thus are rather chump.

Though, I do remember seeing a jungle survival training film, and they say that more or less anything you see a monkey or ape eat is safe for humans to eat (though termites will bite you back in a way that doesn't bother other large primates), so there are things you can learn.