Did anyone buy Final fantasy Explorers?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
So a nice little gem came out last week. Final fantasy explorers for the 3ds. But i haven't seen a thread about it. Did anyone here purchase it? If so what are you impressions?

As for me i am completly loving this game. It's Monster hunter x Phantasy star online x final fantasy. It's fast pace, pick up and play gameplay is highly addictive. Whether you are slashing through enemies , farming mats , or grinding bosses, i find this game highly enjoyable. I have about 30 hours in on 5 star quests and i just cannot get enough. The job and skill system is pretty deep and the gameplay is just fantastic.

This game is not without it's flaws however . It's a little on the easy side ( especially in the beginning, the game looks like ass ( it was released in japan in 2014) and it kind of repetitive if you don't make your own fun. Thw story ia practically non-existant, but if you can look past that , it's a nice little gem of a game, and i really hope it is successful enough to warrant a sequel with a little more polish.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I picked up the game and I'm liking it so far, I usually don't like these sorts of grindy games but the gameplay has been enough to keep me interested

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
SmallHatLogan said:
Is it a good single player experience or is it mainly co-op focused?
Up to you really. You could play the game from the beginning with a friend or online ( there is local co-op), or you could do the whole thing solo.

Around the half way point, the game starts to get challenging. And having a co-op partner or two definitely helps. However if you are hell bent on doing it alone, there is nothing stopping you. You can even get monster pets to uses as allies instead of real people.

Thay being said, while you don't lose anything by playing solo, the game was definitely made with co-op in mind.

Durai

May 1, 2011
The game allowed me to alter a Cure spell so it can cause Regen and increase my Magic Defense; it's like FFT's Job system on crack! I'm going to spend hours alone on the Ability customization aspect alone so I can have the most badass Paladin ever!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I'm kinda on the fence. I peeked at how to get Red Mage, about the only class I really like, and it seemed pretty far off, so I'm kinda put off by that. Being a stand back and cast mage is offensive to my usual game play style which really made things a pain in MMOS.
But the possibility of temporarily channeling Tifa is appealing.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Rebel_Raven said:
I'm kinda on the fence. I peeked at how to get Red Mage, about the only class I really like, and it seemed pretty far off, so I'm kinda put off by that. Being a stand back and cast mage is offensive to my usual game play style which really made things a pain in MMOS.
You can always use a freelancer with magic spells and weapon skills. I haven't gotten red mage yet ( i think red mage and samurai are the only ones I'm missing atm ).
Durai said:
The game allowed me to alter a Cure spell so it can cause Regen and increase my Magic Defense; it's like FFT's Job system on crack! I'm going to spend hours alone on the Ability customization aspect alone so I can have the most badass Paladin ever!
The skill system is really like crack. I got reraise on my regen spell ( which i use instead of cure/cura) so i don't even worry about dying. Which is a godsend on diablo. Got i hate fighting him.

I usually use a machinist and i love getting links and just comboing skills together. Especially since the mutations give me some pretty good buffs.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
Rebel_Raven said:
You can always use a freelancer with magic spells and weapon skills. I haven't gotten red mage yet ( i think red mage and samurai are the only ones I'm missing atm ).
Durai said:
The skill system is really like crack. I got reraise on my regen spell ( which i use instead of cure/cura) so i don't even worry about dying. Which is a godsend on diablo. Got i hate fighting him.

I usually use a machinist and i love getting links and just comboing skills together. Especially since the mutations give me some pretty good buffs.
That's a bit of a relief. How do you learn spells in this game?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I saw it has dropped but I hadn't heard of it or had any idea what it was until now. I was waiting to see if anyone I followed would review it.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Rebel_Raven said:
There is a currency called CP, which you get from completing quests and sub quests. You buy your skills/spells with that. So you don't need to use a class to learn the skills. You just need to buy them. I think anyone can use magic, except the damage will be pretty bad/average if you aren't a class with a decent magic stat. For weapon skills you need to be using the required weapon to use it. For example you can't use a axe skills with a sword.

To buff ( mutate) the skill however you need to use it in combat. When you kill enemies you can go into a mode called crystal surge, this gives you a chance to add a buff to a skill. For example i can give my poison skill a chance to cause instant death. Or i could give a sword skill a chance to cause blind.

It is a very deep system and you can customize your skills to no end. You can have multiple people with the same class and different skills, and different mutation on their skills.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I was thinking in buying it. But I decided to buy Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate instead. It was already recommended and cheaper.

Jan 27, 2011
I have it, and it's decent.

It's alright. It fills the space, what do you want from me I am a banana. [/zero punctuation quote]

I'm enjoying my time with it, ESPECIALLY with the skill mutations, but there are just so many questionable design decisions.

For example, the difficulty is completely weird. At first, it's pathetically easy with the bosses only being "hard" by virtue of having huge HP bars. Then, at the 4-star rank, if you have the "Increase monster HP and attack" option activated, suddenly Shiva can one-shot you, making bosses a matter of "you can afford to get hit 5 times" (I swear to mod, if I lose to her on her last chunk of HP for a 4th time on the commute home today, I'm un-ticking that difficulty modifier.)

Oh, and that's with either a Ranger OR a Dark Knight. In fact, the ranged class has more natural defense than the melee one! And I'd LIKE to have better armor but anything better than what I have requires materials that don't seem to drop, or that I can only guess at what drops them. ;_;

Like I said, I'm having fun with it, but the sudden difficulty spike from "You can take a dozen hits and laugh it off" to "Take one or two comboed hits and you are insta-dead" was kinda jarring, especially with a melee class.

That and Trance mode was a huge letdown. ;_; I was expecting to gain the weapon and skills of the character I trance'd into, not just gain a stat boost, their appearance and possibly a limit break if I manage to trigger it. It's still cool and fun, but there was a lot of lost potential there.

CaitSeith said:
I was thinking in buying it. But I decided to buy Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate instead. It was already recommended and cheaper.
Good choice.

MH4 is amazing and absolutely the better game. The only reason I'm playing Explorers over it right now on the commute is because the late game quests require a lot more finesse and focus than I can give while on the bus. XD

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
aegix drakan said:
I have it, and it's decent.

It's alright. It fills the space, what do you want from me I am a banana. [/zero punctuation quote]

I'm enjoying my time with it, ESPECIALLY with the skill mutations, but there are just so many questionable design decisions.

For example, the difficulty is completely weird. At first, it's pathetically easy with the bosses only being "hard" by virtue of having huge HP bars. Then, at the 4-star rank, if you have the "Increase monster HP and attack" option activated, suddenly Shiva can one-shot you, making bosses a matter of "you can afford to get hit 5 times" (I swear to mod, if I lose to her on her last chunk of HP for a 4th time on the commute home today, I'm un-ticking that difficulty modifier.)

Oh, and that's with either a Ranger OR a Dark Knight. In fact, the ranged class has more natural defense than the melee one! And I'd LIKE to have better armor but anything better than what I have requires materials that don't seem to drop, or that I can only guess at what drops them. ;_;

Like I said, I'm having fun with it, but the sudden difficulty spike from "You can take a dozen hits and laugh it off" to "Take one or two comboed hits and you are insta-dead" was kinda jarring, especially with a melee class.

That and Trance mode was a huge letdown. ;_; I was expecting to gain the weapon and skills of the character I trance'd into, not just gain a stat boost, their appearance and possibly a limit break if I manage to trigger it. It's still cool and fun, but there was a lot of lost potential there.

CaitSeith said:
Good choice.

MH4 is amazing and absolutely the better game. The only reason I'm playing Explorers over it right now on the commute is because the late game quests require a lot more finesse and focus than I can give while on the bus. XD
I agree about everything you said. Except one. How can you complain about the difficulty if you are purposely making the game harder with the " double enemy Hp and strength" option?

It literally DOUBLES THE ENEMIES HP AND STRENGTH.

I will agree though there is a difficulty spike and i assume it is to encourage online/co-op play.

Jan 27, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
I agree about everything you said. Except one. How can you complain about the difficulty if you are purposely making the game harder with the " double enemy Hp and strength" option?

I will agree though there is a difficulty spike and i assume it is to encourage online/co-op play.
Fair enough, it's just that I've been using that for the whole game and it's still been easy (seriously, even Diablos1 and Alexander1 were cakewalks), so suddenly going from "I can take a bunch of hits, no problem" to "Die in one SnowStorm that has a split second to reaction window" the very next boss fight is incredibly jarring, modifier or not. Especially since I've been using it all game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm really interested in the concept and I love that I can change and craft spells and attacks. I love that I can dress up as classic characters and even change into others but here's the thing; I haven't bought it yet. Gameplay videos haven't sold me on the game but it looks more fast paced than Monster Hunter which keeps me from forgetting about it. I'll probably end up getting this eventually though since I really do enjoy Final Fantasy and I liked Monster Hunter enough to...well when I played 3-U it was either that or nothing on the Wii U...I had fun with it for a while though so there's that.

Question: I know about the Sephiroth Coat but are there other costumes based on classic characters? Steiner Armor? Quina Apron? Cyan Armor?

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I got it. It's pretty "meh". Nothing to get excited about in the first 6 hours. The moment-to-moment pacing is far too slow and mechanical to be exciting and too unwieldy to be properly tactical. I'm going to play through until I can unlock the fake Pokemon "monster crafting" mechanics in the hope that something opens up later, but so far, I'm bored out of my mind with the game. The story is nonexistant: you are an adventurer, go kill monsters, earn the rights to do more monster killing by collecting various monster asses, move to a new area, rinse, repeat. The skill progression is somewhat interesting, in theory, and I would suggest diving into it ASAP, but ultimately, it's just swapping in a third slot machine to replace job progression/leveling systems.

I suspect this would be better with friends, or at least teammates of some kind. If you liked the Final Fantasy MMO games or FF13 (and somehow can't find a Monster Hunter game), then you might like Explorers. Otherwise, there are far better options. Might I suggest Bravely Default or Monster Hunter 4?

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
I personally torn on this game. The class system is a little bland, but on the other side is the ability system which is pretty interesting.
The difficulty... disgustingly easy. After about 20 hours of play, I have yet to drop below even half health as a Monk. That's full solo without the little monster minions you can get too.
All in all, don't buy it at full price. It's not worth it, and if you planning on playing it solo don't bother at all.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
aegix drakan said:
Lufia Erim said:

Fair enough, it's just that I've been using that for the whole game and it's still been easy (seriously, even Diablos1 and Alexander1 were cakewalks), so suddenly going from "I can take a bunch of hits, no problem" to "Die in one SnowStorm that has a split second to reaction window" the very next boss fight is incredibly jarring, modifier or not. Especially since I've been using it all game.
Yeah i get you, i just wanted to point that out . I too was using it all the time at the begining, now not so much. I have tried several classes ( blm, theif, dark knight, machinist and ninja). I switched from "enemies having double Hp and str" to " raise evasion but enemies do more damage" to even it out a little.

But the thing to note is it's all optional for added challenge ( and rewards).

Jan 27, 2011
Lufia Erim said:
Yeah i get you, i just wanted to point that out . I too was using it all the time at the begining, now not so much. I have tried several classes ( blm, theif, dark knight, machinist and ninja). I switched from "enemies having double Hp and str" to " raise evasion but enemies do more damage" to even it out a little.

But the thing to note is it's all optional for added challenge ( and rewards).
Turns out that all I needed was to farm a few toads and eyeball guys to complete some Battle Armor and suddenly things were manageable (but hard) again. Now I feel exceptionally silly. XD

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
2xDouble said:
I got it. It's pretty "meh". Nothing to get excited about in the first 6 hours. The moment-to-moment pacing is far too slow and mechanical to be exciting and too unwieldy to be properly tactical. I'm going to play through until I can unlock the fake Pokemon "monster crafting" mechanics in the hope that something opens up later, but so far, I'm bored out of my mind with the game. The story is nonexistant: you are an adventurer, go kill monsters, earn the rights to do more monster killing by collecting various monster asses, move to a new area, rinse, repeat. The skill progression is somewhat interesting, in theory, and I would suggest diving into it ASAP, but ultimately, it's just swapping in a third slot machine to replace job progression/leveling systems.

I suspect this would be better with friends, or at least teammates of some kind. If you liked the Final Fantasy MMO games or FF13 (and somehow can't find a Monster Hunter game), then you might like Explorers. Otherwise, there are far better options. Might I suggest Bravely Default or Monster Hunter 4?
Seriously. As much as i am enjoying this game. I would like a sequel ( possibly on consoles), with a lot more polish , a dozen more bosses/variations, and probably another island or two and more enemy monsters. With the amazing skills/crafting/customisation this game has, a better version of this game would be better than monster hunter in my opinion. But as it is now, i think it a fun very flawed gem with a lot of room for improvement. Which i truly hope becomes a thing.