Did anyone else not like Inglorious Bastards

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
I agree with you. I didn't enjoy the movie at all, and thought that the only good scenes in it were near the end.

My main complaint is that the movie should have been about half an hour shorter. The bar scene and the very first one on the farm could have easily been cut down 5-10 minutes each, and kept the same effect. However, just as a whole I found that everything took too long to happen. If it were shorter, it MIGHT have been a good movie.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
Normally I would write a well thought out and valid argument to oppose your statements, but I have to say this instead because I am obligated to. As Jew, I loved the movie. Why do you ask? Because for a quick moment you get to see Hitler's face torn to shreds by a sub-machine gun. The rest of the movie before that could have been two fat guys fucking and if it still ended with Hitler's face getting torn open than I would have still loved it.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Everyone I know sings praise of it but i just found the story disjointed, poorly paced, and slow and the commercials easily made me think it would be a Nazi shoot stab adventure but they just advertised the parts of the movie that best reflected that. Oh and the movie scene makes me think of kino der toten in black ops. Just felt like sharing the last bit.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I hated it. I simply found it an incredibly boring film starring a bunch of twats that rarely ever raise their voices above a dull whisper.

I will say that the gore was pleasantly overkill to keep my attention for a few seconds. Of course, that wasn't enough, as I turned it off maybe half-way through.

Aug 29, 2011
personally, I thought it was garbage it was portrayed as a comedy in the advertizements and the plot was retarded. In all it tried to cover to many aspects of movies and just ended up kind of stupid.

MajorMurray

Aug 29, 2011
ljrepoman said:
For all who didn't like the movie and are not sure why. It's called prejudice and anti-Semitism.
You dumb #@$^^&.
Dude, I kinda want to the thread to die down while more worthwhile one sprouted up, but that's a little harsh. I don't think it's right to say that, when you don't even know what real reason why people didn't like it. So, please, don't call people dumb #@$^^&, what does that even mean. Fuck if I know.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
MajorMurray said:
I finally rented from Netflix Inglorious Bastards, and to my suprise, I didn't like it. I don't hate it, just it was kind of, well, bad. Now I love the previous movies from this creator like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. But the movie didn't connect with me like the others did. Now I talked with my friends and I searched the internet, and I can't find anyone who dislikes the movie the same why I do. Now people dislike it for different reasons, not one that I agreed with. The people who didn't think this was good was because of the gore or how Hitler was portrayed. I'm going to list what I disliked about it.

1. Stupidity: What I mean is by how all the characters seem to act extremely dumb. Like when the Bastards were going to blow up the cinema. After the Lt. was captured the Bear Jew and the other bastard killed two guards and killed Hitler, now instead of trying to get out of the cinema while it was burning, they stand their and shoot into the crowd WHILE THEY HAVE BOMBS STRAPPED TO THEIR ANKLES. I mean, did they just forget about the bombs? To me this was the thing that disconnected me from the movie. But another stupid thing, all save for my next complaint.

The basterds weren't planning on the theater being on fire as their plan is completely separate from the french chicks. Now they thought the germans were trying to get away so they shot them.

I'm also pretty damn sure that they knew they were committing suicide. I mean, did they didn't have to walk in and shoot hitler, but they did

2. The basement scene: The entire time they were in the basement tavern. I felt that it went on for to long and I hated how the whole thing was handled. All start from the top. They try to show us that the Nazis, or just regular Germans, have a human side. Why? This is supposed to be a revenge flick? Why are we not seeing Gestapo or SS being horribly murdered? Why do I have to see Werchmant soldiers, the actual regular joes be graphically killed. Also, why did the Why was the German bastard so dumb, instead of going for a kill shot on the Major, he shot him in the balls. Instead of trying to shoot some else while the British spy shot him, he just shots him in the balls! Wilhem, poor, poor Wilhem. That really pulled me out of it, and made me hate that German Actress character. And you really had to screw drive in that he was a loving husband and father just before killing him uselessly.

By saying poor Wilheim you have actually proven that the scene worked. You are meant to care for him. You are meant to feel pity for him. I actually felt really bad for him after he got shot and its rare that a film actually makes me give a shit about the "bad guys".

The whole thing about them shooting him in the balls? The basterds are evil. They are our monsters. Now, the British spy and the German couldn't move their guns at all, the spy because the other germans would notice and the german because it leaves him open. The other german who was on the basterds team? He HATES gestapo in such a way that he wanted to humiliate him.

3. If they are going after Nazis, why are they killing Germans: It seems like the movie wanted to show how evil the Nazis were and how they should be treated. Ok, but why were the Bastards going after Werchmant instead of say, the SS and Gestapo. But then it has the gall, to show the human side of the Germans. This made me angry, I don't want to think that rational human beinsg who only fight to defend their country could be a part or stand bye the Nazi Party.

I was actually of the opinion that the basterds thought every german soldier was a nazi and didn't care to listen to reason. They had one job, and one job only. "Killing Nazi's", i'm pretty sure high command told them to kill germans and then brads character (who's name I cannot spell right now) just calls them nazi's because he hates them.

4. Horrible Music Ques: Exactly what it says on the tin.

different strokes for different folks.

5. It needs a good editor: I haven't seen such a long movie in a long time. I feel that it should have really been cut down like the Lord of the Rings movies, just imagine if they didn't cut that stuff out that was put on extended edition. It would be three hours long, almost as long as this movie. The run time is two hours and thirty minutes, good god. I thought Full Metal Jacket was long. All the scenes just really kept going without getting anywhere. It was so bad the only character I liked was Landa, the jew hunter! The only character I ended up liking, was the bad guy. Wow, I don't know what to say about that.

Length is not actually a bad thing when it comes to films if all of it is relevant. The director (who's name I also cannot spell) actually wants you to feel pity, anger, relief, etc when you go watch one of his films. It's not simply a story, it's something that's meant to bring out emotions in you.

With you, i'd say it worked

So does anyone agree with me on these notes and/or dislike the movie for these reasons.
So no, I don't agree.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Sorry for reviving the thread OP, I just wanted to add my two cents.

I really like Inglorious Basterds. It's one of the few films I went to see at the cinema and I really liked it. The Jew Hunter especially. AWESOME actor, in both senses of the word.

I LIKED the fact that the Americans were bigger bastards than the rank and file German soldiers they killed; usually WW2 films white-wash the Allies - especially the Americans - to the point of sainthood but you know what? It was WAR. I have great respect for the men and women who have the courage to fight in wars they didn't start, but that doesn't mean everyone on the "good guy" side is a saint, or that everyone on the "bad guy" side is a fucking monster.

That said, I've watched a couple Tarantino flicks by now - Jackie Brown is one of my favourites, along with Pulp Fiction - and this the film felt very predictable to me. Most of the time I knew exactly where a scene or plot point was heading. I knew how the camera would move at certain points. But I still really liked it. I left Avatar feeling a lot more elated but in hindsight Inglorious Basterds was the much better movie.

And the music seemed fine to me. Maybe I've watched too many Japanese drama series where the music queues are seriously messed up most of the time, but I don't remember thinking the music bad.

So sorry OP, I disagree with you. But taste is like one's bum; divided =P (Swedish proverbs that sound stupid in English FTW!)