Did Blu-Ray win?

Stone Cold Monkey

Mar 5, 2008
In the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray format wars, fairly recently ago the HD DVD format has pulled out becoming no longer available. This leaves only the Blu-Ray standing. I have been seeing in most sources how this is a win for Blu-Ray. However, from my standpoint I disagree. While Blu-ray outlasted HD DVD, it hasn't made it into my living room. I don't expect it to either. I wanted to post the question: Do you or are you going to transfer and starting buying Blu-Ray players and DVDs? This is of course if the market continues to make standard DVDs availible. Personally, I feel this newest format is much like Laserdisc. Sure it better than what most of us are using now, but I already have a decent library of DVDs and fine player, and I could care less about a higher resolution in most cases.

The futurist part of me thinks the next step (or not too distant step) I'm willing to make is a non-dedicated media storage device. A device where the media is not solely contained to a single disc like a CD or DVD that is hard written on the physical item. Rather the next step I foresee is multi-media storage devices (much like the ipod or Zune) that you will upload and store any type of media you would want access to on a single device or network. This would virtually eliminate the need for large, space-consuming physical libraries. Of course it could have problems at very least of 'all your eggs in one basket' and you aren't really owning the movie, game, or music but simply leasing it associated with its inconvenience. However, with access to the media online, it should reduce cost as nearly nothing in made in creation of the media and it doesn't have to be shipped to retailers. I understand that really hasn't happened on itunes but it is still possible. I'm not saying I like these changes. I for one enjoy having a physical copy in my hands. I just think this may be the way of the future.

To summarize and pose the questions, Do you think Blu-Ray really won, or are they still in competition with standard DVDs? Lastly, what to do think the future holds for media storage?

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
I've sat in Best Buy and watched two TVs (identical TVs) playing the same movie, one in Blu-ray and one on Standard DVD. I was able to see that there was a minor difference, but it's not one that I'd be willing to pay for right now.

Maybe later, when I'm in the market for a new DVD player anyway or something. Honestly, the biggest advantage I see with Blu-ray over standard DVD is the storage space.

- J

jadedcritic

Nov 21, 2007
Some people can watch higher def, others can't. I'm not the target market, I don't even have cable and my antenna tends to get snowy reception on everything but fox and nbc. It's been that way for years. So DVD quality is hardly a problem for me.

Have I bought Blu-rays? Yes. Do I intend to rush out and replace my DVDs with Blu-rays? No. Problem is, I'm an cranky old man, and I've been around for more then one of these contests and upgraded my library during more then one transition, and I'm just not especially motivated to do it many more times.

Jeff Foxworthy suggested a theory, he thinks your parents are riding along on the fashion train, and sooner or later, just decide, you know what? That's it. I'm done. I tend to think you need to do something similar with technology. While I'm not quite there yet, I think there will come a time when I just quit bothering. 2 or 3 generations down the road the kids are going to beaming entertainment directly into their brains, and I'll be sitting on the porch at the retirement home listening to an ipod and shaking my fist at teenagers.

BranFlakes

Mar 11, 2008
Stone Cold Monkey said:
Do you or are you going to transfer and starting buying Blu-Ray players and DVDs?

The futurist part of me thinks the next step (or not too distant step) I'm willing to make is a non-dedicated media storage device.

To answer your first question. No, not really.

I agree with SCM on this one. Blu-ray Vs. HD-DVD seems to be a moot point, as you can purchase portable media storage devices with massive amounts of storage today then it seems only logical that these portable media devices will get more efficient and have a larger capacity in the near future.

I think aswell that with services like iTunes and XBOX Live's downloadable content service, storage media like DVD,s will go the way of the 5.25" floppy, what's the point of having a third party transfer medium to move your files about when you can have the same file delivered to your XBox in about the same time it would take to drive to the store.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
tiredinnuendo said:
I've sat in Best Buy and watched two TVs (identical TVs) playing the same movie, one in Blu-ray and one on Standard DVD. I was able to see that there was a minor difference, but it's not one that I'd be willing to pay for right now.
see the issue is that most of the movies aren't filmed in hd, you need to find movies that are filmed in hd and put on std def dvd players. also make sure the sales ppl aren't upscaling the dvds either. tho i'm sure we all know that bestbuy would never do something underhanded to get a sale on something with a higher mark up.

i'm just amazed sony won a format war and that hell is still warm and pigs don't have wings yet.

i think they did win it and i think they won it smartly, they put the blu-ray into the ps3, which means blu-ray will be sticking around. if m$ had included an hd-dvd player into the 360 the war would have gone on longer. this same decision i think will cost m$ the console war, yes they're winning some small battles but will lose the war.

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Downloadable content all the way. CDs are fast becoming irrelevant. As broadband speeds and hard-drive space increase, DVDs in all formats will become obsolete. Why trek to the shop to buy a game, or order it off Amazon and wait a couple of days for it to arrive, when you can download it straight to your drive. Blu-Ray may have won against HD-DVD, but I think the time of physical formats is coming to an end. Digital all the way, baby.
I totally agree here. I've downloaded lots of HD movies already, and I don't really go to the video store at all anymore. Hard Copy is rapidly becoming yesterday's thing.

And on this...

cleverlymadeup said:
i think they did win it and i think they won it smartly, they put the blu-ray into the ps3, which means blu-ray will be sticking around. if m$ had included an hd-dvd player into the 360 the war would have gone on longer. this same decision i think will cost m$ the console war, yes they're winning some small battles but will lose the war.
First of, spelling Microsoft M$ hasn't been funny for five years now.

Secondly, quiet you, we have another thread going on right now to discuss the console war, and it's nothing but a flame fest. We don't need it again.

- J

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Sony wont win the console war till they realise that demanding over £100 more than the 360 & almost £200 more than the Wii wont make the PS3 a hit in every livingroom (least in the UK). Same with Blu-Ray. It doesnt really matter that theyve beaten HD-TV atm, because blu-ray players cost £150 while normal DVD players cost £30. Till the prices come down their victory will remain Phyrric

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
right id say that whats the point of seeing a movie in slightly better quality when theres nothing wrong with it? thats like a slap in the face of the director

and also Khell i love that picture made me lol

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
tiredinnuendo said:

Maybe later, when I'm in the market for a new DVD player anyway or something. Honestly, the biggest advantage I see with Blu-ray over standard DVD is the storage space.

- J
You may not have been watching a TV that was 1080p capable. There is an amazing difference between standard def and 1080p. Now, between 720p and 1080p...eh...minor difference that grows as the TV gets bigger. And I get the nerd stamp for the day...ugh

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
Yes, putting Blu-Ray into the PS3 did extend the life of this mutant format a little, but sales of the PS3 aren't much to brag about compared to the previous Playstations.

Big image
Where the hell do you get all of these? They are great!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
Third and most likely option, solid-state memory devices. SD cards now can carry up to 16GB on a single chip, read/write speeds are roughly 4x what DVD reads at, take no space, and aren't as prone to damage as an optical disc. Movies on flash cards like SD/MMC/xD/CompactFlash are the most likely thing to see because it's a proven technology that is improving its capacity limits every month.
Advantages - Compact. Not all eggs in one basket. Retail-friendly. The drive technology is cheap, compact, simplistic, and already available. Adding a multi-reader to the front of a TV, and programming software to run the device, probably wouldn't add more than $50 to the cost of a new TV, and a simple external cable-attached drive would run about the same. Also, using such versatile technology would lead the way to TONS of options for devices (such as a 100-slot SD drive so you don't have to change cards)...
Disadvantages - Capacity today on SD is 16GB, standard dual-layer one-sided DVDs are 8.54GB, single layer BluRay are 25GB, and dual layer are 50GB. SD would work for regular DVD replacement, but aren't advanced enough yet for High Definition.
Yes, I also think that's the best option, and I wish all portable consoles would swap to this.
However, the high capacity cards are horribly expensive. Only time and massive production will cut the prices, but this takes time, and during the interreign, the Blu-ray might fill the gap.

By the way, HD reading furnitures are pricey, but what about the price of the hardware needed to actually create and/or film content in HD (audio, video, textures...)?

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Spinwhiz said:
You may not have been watching a TV that was 1080p capable. There is an amazing difference between standard def and 1080p. Now, between 720p and 1080p...eh...minor difference that grows as the TV gets bigger. And I get the nerd stamp for the day...ugh
They were 1080p TVs. I forget what size, but bigger than 32 inch, because that's the one I eventually bought.

- J