Did games ever made you feel...emotions ?

Guido656

Feb 20, 2009
"Would you kindly..."

That moment in Bioshock geniunely freaked me out. Never before in a game have I felt so involved, used and shocked. It was like I had actually been tricked...by a computer character!

Absolutely brilliant bit of video game history.

May 29, 2011
In bastion when they tried to kill my giant underground salmon shark. No one messes with my giant underground salmon shark.

I don't really see why this needs to be asked, yes I've experienced emotion while playing games, why alse would I play games? Or do you and I share a different definition of the word emotion?

Edit: actually everyone seems to share a different definition of the word emotions. I suggest you check it out on wikipedia.

Sangnz

Oct 7, 2009
Yes

End of HL2: EP2
Dragon Age 2 + DA: Origins various
MA + MA2 various
Deus Ex: HR, there were certain missions that basically made me go screw the humanitarian approach I going slaughter these guys.
The Nuke scene in MW

Heaps more but I tend to get easily emotionally invested :p

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
The ending of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus series.
The MGS3 ending.
Lost Odyssey dreams.

The above are the only ones that really got to me. Sure, I can name a few other decent game scenes, but those were just average in terms of how emotional they got me to be (compared to the above), so it's not really worth to name all of them.

Grouchy Imp said:
I challenge anyone to play through Red Dead Redemption without becoming emotionally attached to some of its characters. But only because that game stands up as an exceptional example of story-telling. Most games are, for me, just games to be played and enjoyed - but RDR truly stands apart.
RDR was all right, I suppose. The story pacing did suck hard, but I suppose Marston was a decent character. But no, I can't say I was really emotionally attached to Marston much, but that's due to the storytelling, which needs some work (but it's still much better than the average game, unfortunately).

aeriesyka

Oct 13, 2011
Getting into a game I find it easy to start getting emotionally involved just like I would at a book or movie, if it was properly delivered.

Other then that, I've felt different emotions at the end of certain games, not because of a particularly sad wrap-up, but sometimes because the game was so good, I'm disappointed it had to end, or a game so disappointing that it left me a little bitter.

Other then that. The one game that comes to mind is Condemned. I think that had the most shit-my-pants-scary moments for me.

aeriesyka

Oct 13, 2011
Guido656 said:
"Would you kindly..."

That moment in Bioshock geniunely freaked me out. Never before in a game have I felt so involved, used and shocked. It was like I had actually been tricked...by a computer character!

Absolutely brilliant bit of video game history.
This.

Bioshock is my favorite game because it's so wonderfully delivered on every aspect.

Mar 30, 2010
SpaceBat said:
The ending of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus series.
The MGS3 ending.
Lost Odyssey dreams.

The above are the only ones that really got to me. Sure, I can name a few other decent game scenes, but those were just average in terms of how emotional they got me to be (compared to the above), so it's not really worth to name all of them.

Grouchy Imp said:
I challenge anyone to play through Red Dead Redemption without becoming emotionally attached to some of its characters. But only because that game stands up as an exceptional example of story-telling. Most games are, for me, just games to be played and enjoyed - but RDR truly stands apart.
RDR was all right, I suppose. The story pacing did suck hard, but I suppose Marston was a decent character. But no, I can't say I was really emotionally attached to Marston much, but that's due to the storytelling, which needs some work (but it's still much better than the average game, unfortunately).
I found the pacing to be alright actually. Well, with the exception of Rockstar's habit of stretching out the tutorials for over half the game. I suppose the pacing is something which can be greatly affected by how much free-roaming is done by each player between story missions too. And yeah, Marston can come across as a bit schizophrenic at times, playing the whole 'repentant sinner' bit in cutscenes before heading out to rob a bank, but the cutscenes and missions after he is reunited with his family humanise him far more than I've seen another game character humanised.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
The very last moment during the final cutscene in Dead Rising 2 certainly brought forth a certain...emotion.

...if one can call shitting your pants an emotion.

aquarius87

Mar 2, 2011
Jadak said:
aquarius87 said:
E
- How many times didn't a game force you to choose between "your" girl and the greater good ? (Alpha Protocol, The Witcher 2 and Mass Effect to name a few)
When does Mass Effect make you choose between "your girl" and the greater good? Sure, you have to make a choice regarding what might be "your girl", but the alternative isn't the greater good, just a whiny man who I was always happy to be rid of.
granted, Mass Effect isnt the best example of what I meant :p
But in Alpha Protocol I chose to disarm a bomb (thus saving 100 faceless nameless ppl) in stead of Madison. The badguys shot her in front of me, saying it was my choice, so I was responsible :p
(I got really pissed and shot the guy in the head ^_^ )

but, what I also was trying to point out with this topic is, that games (a lot, though not all of em) can tell a decent story while really immersing you.
Sure movies can do that too, but not on a level like this...after all, movies are one-way-traffic, you just sit and watch :p
Tried explaining this to some non-gamers, but they are hard to convince (haha, thanks mom xD )

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
The ending of Second Sight isn't sad or horrible, but the realization of what happened literally makes you emotional, not really scared or anything but you feel something.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Final fantasy crisis core made me sad. Well maybe not really sad but more dissapointed. I don't know, something like that.

The ending of Mass effect 2 just made me feel whatever emotion is the equivalent of awesome.

And then theres Fifa as a whole. That game makes me rage so hard at every turn with it's stupid engine physics and shit refs.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Every time I complete a game with a great (or decent) story or great and engaging gameplay, I always take a moment to reflect my accomplishment. A game that I dedicate many hours to is finally done (at least the main story) and it feels great. Sure I might feel a little sad that I probably won't enjoy it as much as I did when I was going through the campaign (unless it is just awesome and I want to play the multiplayer or do side missions), the fact that I am satisfied with the conclusion and can now move on to another great game, feels great.

The_R3d_Fury

Jul 7, 2011
Only 1 game has ever made me feel really sad. Halo 3. I grew up with the chief, so seeing the what I thought was the end of Halo felt to me like seeing my childhood ending before my eyes. I'm glad it isn't over.

Metal_Head

Oct 18, 2011
utter hilarity at the end of Portal. that song cracked me up.

amnesia was scary as man. only game i actually quit cuz a monster got me.

TOTAL rage at the part in MW2 where your that roach guy, and you have to fight your way through a billion enemies and at the end is a cut scene where he dies. MY GOD! would it have made a difference to kill him 20 meters ago?

darksiders was a pretty cool ending- with the 3 horseman flying in to help him. lol spoiler.

I also felt a little bad in L4D2 when i saw Bill dead on that Passing map. bill was cool :'(

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Garrus in Mass Effect 2
During the Archangel mission when Garrus is shot and is laying bleeding on the floor.
I actually screamed out in my room and felt that deep heavy pit sinking in my chest. I regretfully say that had
he not recovered in the next scene
I probably would of started crying.

I guess when you like a particular character to begin with and then you go through so much with them to the point that the character themselves starts to change. You just become attached to them. Plus having a spanning story over multiple games strengthens it too.

And going to the Oasis for the first time during the second playthrough of Fallout 3. After spending countless hours wandering in an obliterated desert wasteland to come across so much green and life. Just leaves you all warm and fuzzy. Also coming across
Harold again
was pretty cool too.