Did handheld gaming just die?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
maybe sony wise.

the 3DS has actually done really well for a system that most people either didnt like or were indifferent towards the gimmick of and while i dont play many 3D games on it I do still play a lot of my DS games. and what with B2/W2 coming out soon (which personally I think we should have seen a third gen remake or at least we should have seen a third game in the B/W series and not just nintendo caving to fans whining [why yes, I dont like either games and am probably not going to purchase them until WAY after they're out] but thats neither here nor there) I think the sales will be very good.

plus there's smart phone gaming, I guess.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
maybe sony wise.

the 3DS has actually done really well for a system that most people either didnt like or were indifferent towards the gimmick of and while i dont play many 3D games on it I do still play a lot of my DS games. and what with B2/W2 coming out soon (which personally I think we should have seen a third gen remake or at least we should have seen a third game in the B/W series and not just nintendo caving to fans whining [why yes, I dont like either games and am probably not going to purchase them until WAY after they're out] but thats neither here nor there) I think the sales will be very good.

plus there's smart phone gaming, I guess.
The Gamefreak director actually acknowledged the possibility of a Gen III remake, so it looks at least likely in a year or two. With the 3DS they could really pull of something great!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Terminate421 said:
No.

Why do you think the 3DS XL was released?

Also this in about 2 weeks:

As for sony, they're being dumbasses when it comes to what they release right now. No games = no profit.
How well do you think B/W2 will sell? It's a day 1 buy from me, but I know a lot of people didn't like Gen V.
they need to get their heads out of their collective arses and realise that the games are just as fun :)

I will buy it on day 1 too. I am lvling up Pokemon on heartgold, Black and white so when I get black/white 2 I will have strong Pokemon :)

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I don't know if the Handlheld videogames died, I have plans to take this games in the future:

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Terminate421 said:
No.

Why do you think the 3DS XL was released?

Also this in about 2 weeks:

As for sony, they're being dumbasses when it comes to what they release right now. No games = no profit.
How well do you think B/W2 will sell? It's a day 1 buy from me, but I know a lot of people didn't like Gen V.
they need to get their heads out of their collective arses and realise that the games are just as fun :)

I will buy it on day 1 too. I am lvling up Pokemon on heartgold, Black and white so when I get black/white 2 I will have strong Pokemon :)
...Strong Pokemon that won't listen to you until you get all the badges? :p

Not me, I like starting a completely new game every time with a fresh team. I only start trading when I beat it...

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Strong Pokemon that won't listen to you until you get all the badges? :p

Not me, I like starting a completely new game every time with a fresh team. I only start trading when I beat it...
after trading all my pokemon across to Black/white 2 I will have an almost full pokedex :D I still need the "?" and "!" unown though....

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

after trading all my pokemon across to Black/white 2 I will have an almost full pokedex :D I still need the "?" and "!" unown though....
I had all the Unown on Diamond once.. good times. If I manage to catch them again do you want to trade over Wifi, I have no use for them

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

I had all the Unown on Diamond once.. good times. If I manage to catch them again do you want to trade over Wifi, I have no use for them
yesyesyes

I will pm you my friend code

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

Alright I'll send mine then too. I have Soul Silver, Diamond, Black and White

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

I've black, white and heartgold

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
3DS: Although a lot of their games are just ports of other games, they're worth it for having portable versions. I mean, as much as I love Tales of the Abyss, it's play is limited by my ability to use my PS2 (aka "not very often, anymore.") OoT 3DS looks leagues better than the original on the N64, while still keeping that fun, cartoony stylized look, and of course, we just know that more Nintendo franchises are bound to appear soon; I know FE13 is out in Japan, although we haven't seen a new one since 11 (The Shadow Dragon remake on the DS? Last one before that was Radiant Dawn on the Wii,) since Nintendo always provides far better first party support than Sony or Microsoft.

The Vita...? Uh... er... I... I'm only getting it for Persona 4 Golden? Which again is just an enhanced PS2 port? I mean, sure, it does have a small handful of exclusives like Gravity Dash or whatever the localized name is, but very few of them are even worth noting. I'm not sure if it'd be worth it for Wipeout and Uncharted, for example, when I barely play the PS3 versions as is.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

Alright I'll try and find my White in a bit now. Wanna battle, trade, or... something :)

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

Alright I'll try and find my White in a bit now. Wanna battle, trade, or... something :)

Battle I guess, I do want the starters though, but you probably want them :p

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/332/511/767.gif

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I don't think handheld gaming is dead. I am thinking about picking up one of the 3DS XL when I have the money and getting a few games with it. Mainly the ones I want are the 999 one and some of the Phoenix Wright ones too.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

Alright but go easy on me, I never battle outside the main game o_O

And what starters? I can easily breed

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
That is surprising as I find that most console games I would actually consider buying almost always come out on consoles. It is one of the only platforms left(Besides PC of course) where developers can be a little risky.
Of course, I don't own any handhelds and can't really play games released on them because I've never been able to play on handhelds. The small screen kills me. So if I can't hook it up to a bigger one easily, it doesn't work out.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

the water and grass type starters. All or them. Oh when battling me use water Pokemon I love fire types I have typhlosion, and emboar fully evolved and a charizard. I have a charizard

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Evil Smurf said:
Sean Hollyman said:

yesyesyes

the water and grass type starters. All or them. Oh when battling me use water Pokemon I love fire types I have typhlosion, and emboar fully evolved and a charizard. I have a charizard
Mmm I'll try and put together a decent team then. Atm all I can do is breed a Turtwig and a Snivy

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
Sean Hollyman said:
Speaking of which, I want to start competetive battling but I have no idea where to begin..
When I started competitive battling, the first place I went was Smogon [http://www.smogon.com/]. It is a really good place for learning about the metagames and the general state of competitive battling. It has analyses of almost all the pokemon in the game (outside of the banned pokemon and non-released pokemon such as genesect) and is generally a very helpful site. It has pages detailing EV training, IV breeding, even RNG manipulation.
Other than that, the other site I use frequently is Serebii [http://serebii.net/index2.shtml/], which has pretty much all the raw data on the games, such as pokemon locations, pokedex including all movesets and how to get these moves, maps of all the regions and trainers in them, and so on, as well as a large and informative 'game mechanics' section, which is helpful for people new to EV training and IV breeding. It also does some analyses, but in general they are not as good as the ones that Smogon puts up.
It's quite daunting at first, but when you get into competitve battling it can be really rewarding- I had a hard fought battle with a friend yesterday, which lasted 20 minutes and ended with me winning 4-2 as his mum arrived to take him home. It was very enjoyable.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Nutshell:

ohnoitsabear said:
Actually, the 3DS is pretty popular. Just because there's nothing on it that interests you doesn't mean it isn't successful.
I used to play the hell out of my DS Lite when I used to work nightshift, money very well spent but then I got a more sociable hours based job and now I never even look near the thing. Now its just some handheld I used to know.

*looks towards the cupboard where the DS resides*

I wonder how the village is getting on without me there to clean the weeds, dig up all the fossils and fish the local marine life to near extinction?