Did I just imagine this game?

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
You ever played a game that you loved but the whole world seemed to ignore ?
Anyone ever played hostile waters?
Becuase I'm seriously begging the possibilty I made it up. For me that game had everything, great look, great strory, innovative and intuitive gameplay, mix of strategy, tactics and straight up firstperson skill. The first game I know of to have truly decent voice acting, not to mention to legendary tom baker as a narrator and the legendary warren ellis (of judge dredd and hellblazer fame) to write it. In spite of this the whole world ignored it, was it because it was a pc game and it was the beggining of the generation of console slaves? Was it because people can't wrap thier head around an intelegent fps? Or is it because, as I postulated, I made it up? (if I did, kudos to me, I invented a truly brilliant game)
Anyhoo this wasn't really intended to be a plug for that game, just wondering if anyone else had a game like that for them?

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Even though I dislike people posting comments like "That game where you use the search button to find if a thread has been made already", I'm going to point out to you not just one, not two, not even three, but four similar (though admittedly, not entirely the same) topics:
- Game you love that everyone else hates? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.98110?page=1]
- Abandoned - Games you love which have been left behind. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.68433]
- The little known games you liked thread. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.78780?page=1]
- Games you think are great, even though no one else seems to like them. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.72877?page=1]

Edit: Though I have to say your OP is interesting, I hope you can understand my frustration a bit about seeing the generally same subjects.

MSORPG pl4y3r

Aug 7, 2008
I thought Legendary was very good even though the game play was a copy-paste dealie of HL2, I though it had exelent music and story and was very underrated.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Silverwebsurfer said:
This is my thread, there are many like it, but this one is mine :p
It's a bit like songs. Artists can make a song, and they might be proud of the song they made, which is good! The public though, hearing the song, and having heard 4 other very similar songs with almost the same text, is quickly bored with it. They may even be slightly annoyed that the artist didn't research the market a bit, so that he could have made something more interesting.

Perhaps a strange question: Can this be considered trolling? If so, then I'm terribly sorry.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Silverwebsurfer said:
Becuase I'm seriously begging the possibilty I made it up. For me that game had everything, great look, great strory, innovative and intuitive gameplay, mix of strategy, tactics and straight up firstperson skill. The first game I know of to have truly decent voice acting, not to mention to legendary tom baker as a narrator and the legendary warren ellis (of judge dredd and hellblazer fame) to write it. In spite of this the whole world ignored it, was it because it was a pc game and it was the beggining of the generation of console slaves? Was it because people can't wrap thier head around an intelegent fps? Or is it because, as I postulated, I made it up? (if I did, kudos to me, I invented a truly brilliant game)
Anyhoo this wasn't really intended to be a plug for that game, just wondering if anyone else had a game like that for them?
If you did make that up, no, you didn't make a great game, you just spat out a collection of buzzwords. Which, while could possibly be used to describe a great game, are meaningless without context...for a real life example, take any bad game that is still described using terms like 'innovative' or 'intuitive gameplay'. More often than not that's just their marketing people.

As for the game you're talking about, yes Hostile Waters [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_Waters_(game)] does exist, a quick search on google would've brought it up. That aside, it does actually sound interesting...thank you for bringing it to my notice. :3

Doitpow

Mar 18, 2009
GothmogII said:
Silverwebsurfer said:
If you did make that up, no, you didn't make a great game, you just spat out a collection of buzzwords. Which, while could possibly be used to describe a great game, are meaningless without context...for a real life example, take any bad game that is still described using terms like 'innovative' or 'intuitive gameplay'. More often than not that's just their marketing people.

As for the game you're talking about, yes Hostile Waters [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostile_Waters_(game)] does exist, a quick search on google would've brought it up. That aside, it does actually sound interesting...thank you for bringing it to my notice. :3
I'm not sure if that made me happy or sad
Also how to you know I didn't make up all those reviews as well? Ahhhhhh sneaky I be