Did Not Do The Research

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Spectral Dragon said:
Glass. As usual. The whole "glass is a liquid!" thing.
The one argument: There are a few windows from like 200 years ago that look like that!
Well, considering we have glasses from even further back that look like they did then...
"But it's a VERY slow process."

Just... Bothers me. EVERY time. Expecially since few accept counter arguments.
I'm not sure if I get your post there. Please confirm if I am right when I interpret it to this:

Glass, the things our windows, lenses, drinking glasses and anything else you can think of is liquid at STP? Glass the thing made of various compositions of silicates (which are defined by very high melting points) is a liquid? Does anyone really believe that? Please tell me I misunderstood this post or I will get saddened by the stupidity of those who think so.

The worst thing I know is people abusing the bible. I am an atheist and I believe I know more about those parts of the bible that some Christians seem to written proof of what's a sin and what's not.

mrblakemiller said:
-A lot of people think there's a line in the Bible that goes something like "better to spill your seed in the belly of a whore than on the ground to be trampled by men." It seems to say that having extramarital sex is still better than masturbation. There is no such verse in the Bible.
It's been a while since I did any studies, but the part to which you are referring is in fact in the bible. I wont say how the actual quote goes since I have never read the English version so the words are very different. However this quote, or misinterpretation is from a story the story of Onan. Because of some social rules he had to marry the widow of his brother Er, but he did not want his brother's wife to have children because they would for some reason be his kids (strange logics in the bible stories). So he let his seed spill to the ground rather than having his wife bear children. In short he pulled out. You're right this has nothing to do with masturbation, it doesn't even mention sex outside of marriage since they were in fact married. In the story he was killed by god directly for doing this several times, indicating that this was a very bad sin.

Henrik Stavenes

Jul 21, 2010
superstringz said:
Every thread on evolution ever. No exceptions.
This one. On every thread there can be found someone who presents evolution in the wrong way, in my experience there seems to be a large amount of people beliving that evolution is some form of metamorpheism. (Is that how you write it in english?)

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Murderiser said:
One slightly glaring problem with Mass Effect is Liara. She is a Xeno-archeologist (someone who digs up and categorises the remains of unknown civilisations) and yet is listed as an 'Asari Scientist'. Archeologists do know a smattering of science (it does help with digs) but they are firmly in the HUMANITIES camp and are not SCIENTISTS, as they study the works of humans. I think the confusion probably set in as it is possible to gain a doctorate in both history and archeology which does give them the right to stick 'Dr.' in front of their names.

This may sound pedantic, but as a humanities student, this is such a collosal error I'm amazed that none of the writers pointed it out!
Question: Wouldn't it be Asarities?

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well, I do remember a certain parody of horrible research:

Playing it a little straighter, I get very annoyed with Hollywood's portrayal of religions very quickly, with two of the more recent offenders being the Clash of the Titans revamp and Percy Jackson and the Olympians...both of which made the same "Hades = Satan" faux pas.

Similarly, the little bit about how mankind "only uses 10% of their brain" tends to aggravate me to no end. (Details why here).

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I don't know, I enjoy how Cowboy Bebop sits in front of his computer. (I know its a trope namer on the subject.)

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Furioso said:
Well my point was about the fiery explosions, not the fuse length
I thought the "odd one out" thing made it obvious I got that, but ... yeah, I got that.

Oh, speaking of grenades, one from Half-Life and Enemy Territory, I think:

Game grenade:
Press button to pull pin. Timer starts.
Release button to throw grenade.
Once at least 5 seconds have passed and the grenade has left your hand, the grenade explodes.
If you click and release, the grenade will be thrown and, five seconds later, explode.
If you click and hold for one second then release, the grenade will be thrown and, four seconds later, explode.
If you click and hold for two seconds then release, the grenade will be thrown and, three seconds later, explode.
If you click and hold for ten seconds then release, the grenade will be thrown and immediately explode.

Real grenade:
The grenade has a sprung fly-off lever on the side, held down by a pin. You hold the grenade in your right hand with the fly-off lever pressed against the palm of your hand. You take a firm grip on it. You pull out the pin. You check your target and throw the grenade. The lever, no longer held down by the pin or your hand, flies off. The same spring action lights the delay pellets in the fuse. 3 to 5 seconds later (blessed are cheaply mass-produced weapons) the grenade explodes.

If you held the grenade left-handed with the lever free and pulled the pin, the lever would ping off straight away and you'd want to get rid of the thing fast. If you held onto it, it'd blow up right there in your hand.

It also kind of bugs me when someone throws one at me and it lands with the lever visibly still on the side. Good throw. Duff grenade. Still goes bang, somehow.

Henrik Stavenes said:
On every thread there can be found someone who presents evolution in the wrong way, in my experience there seems to be a large amount of people beliving that evolution is some form of metamorpheism. (Is that how you write it in english?)
Metamorphosis, the process that turns caterpillars into butterflies.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Murderiser said:
One slightly glaring problem with Mass Effect is Liara. She is a Xeno-archeologist (someone who digs up and categorises the remains of unknown civilisations) and yet is listed as an 'Asari Scientist'. Archeologists do know a smattering of science (it does help with digs) but they are firmly in the HUMANITIES camp and are not SCIENTISTS, as they study the works of humans. I think the confusion probably set in as it is possible to gain a doctorate in both history and archeology which does give them the right to stick 'Dr.' in front of their names.

This may sound pedantic, but as a humanities student, this is such a collosal error I'm amazed that none of the writers pointed it out!
I'm afraid you are wrong on this one. Archeology is not firmly in the Humanities camp. In the United States, Archeology is a sub-discipline of Anthropology. Anthropology is a Social-Science. Some might argue that there are those archeologists who are more humanistic in there approach...more like art histortians, reading ancient frieze's as texts, but the bulk of archeologists see themselves as social scientists. Similarly, History is another field that sits between Humanities and Social Sciences....and I know lots of professional historians who would be irritated with being called humanistic.

The fields are not just about the object of study, but the method of study.
I am a Musicologist, but one who studies music in a humanistic way.
There are also musicologists who study music in a historical way they see as being social sciency.
There are also sociologists who study music in a social science way.
There are also music cognition people who study music in a hard science way.
There are also performance people who study music in an Arts way.
Heck, there are some theorists who study music in a Math way.

I see very easily how, as a xeno-archeologist, Liara with call herself a scientist...I could also see some xeno-biologists turning up their noses and dismissing her as "only" a social scientist and not a "real" scientist...but then, we also don't know Asari academic training. For all we know, to become an Asari xeno-archeologist might involve a lot of biology courses. Perhaps in their culture xeno-archeology tends more towards the harder sciences than the social sciences...or is more of a hybrid of the social sciences and the hard sciences.

ETA: In every university I have attended or taught at, or the universities my colleagues have attended or taught at, archeology/anthropology classes never count for Humanities distribution credits, they always count for Social Science credit. So, for in the US at least, no way is archeology squarely in the humanities. And I'm saying this as a humanist (who is generally lumped in the arts).

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
On TV shows, whenever anything remotely related to chemistry gets involved. The big one that comes to mind is a mispronunciation in CSI:Miami, everyone (most notably Calleigh) says 'pentan-2-one' wrong. They say it like pen-tan-two-won, instead of pen-tan-two-own.

And the visual aesthetic of televised chemistry labs causes rage beyond words. All glassware shown is typically not used that much in the lab while other common pieces are never displayed, there's no oven, there's no fumehood, they're using fucking microbiology equipment, they don't actually show any analytical machine except a GC-MS (which is only good if you actually know roughly what you're looking for) [HEADING=1]... AND ENOUGH OF THE FUCKING COPPER SULPHATE AND DRY ICE!![/HEADING]

*ahem* Excuse me...

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
trooper6 said:
Murderiser said:
Xeno-archeologist Scientist Archeologists science HUMANITIES SCIENTISTS history archeology humanities
Archeology Humanities Archeology Anthropology Anthropology Social-Science archeologists humanistic art histortians archeologists social scientists History Humanities Social Sciences historians humanistic Musicologist humanistic musicologists historical social sciency sociologists social science way music cognition hard science performance Arts theorists Math xeno-archeologist scientist xeno-biologists social scientist scientist xeno-archeologist biology xeno-archeology harder sciences social sciences social sciences hard sciences.
[http://xkcd.com/867/]

You know there's an ongoing debate, with occasional metaphorical bile, about whether birds are coelurosaurs or coelurosaurs were birds? It's a question of whether birds are dinosaurs or some dinosaurs were birds. Either reptiles split into various kinds of reptiles, including dinosaurs and non-dinosaurs and dinosaurs split into coelurosaurs and other dinosaurs and coelurosaurs split into birds and the ones that went extinct ... or reptiles split into various kinds of reptiles, including coelurosaurs and non-coelurosaurs and coelurosaurs split into birds and the ones that went extinct and non-coelurosaurs split into dinosaurs and non-dinosaurs. Either way, this is a woman feeding a relative of velociraptor and we still can't cure HIV infection:

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
Yopaz said:
Spectral Dragon said:
Glass isn't liquid snip
I'm not sure if I get your post there. Please confirm if I am right when I interpret it to this:

Glass, the things our windows, lenses, drinking glasses and anything else you can think of is liquid at STP? Glass the thing made of various compositions of silicates (which are defined by very high melting points) is a liquid? Does anyone really believe that? Please tell me I misunderstood this post or I will get saddened by the stupidity of those who think so.
Nope. I know it's solid. But my CHEMISTRY TEACHER thinks it's liquid.
Denamic said:
Spectral Dragon said:
My quote again snip
It's both.
When frozen, it's crystalline and solid, but it gradually become softer and less viscous when heated, eventually becoming liquid.
It's very hard, if not impossible, to tell exactly when it can be considered liquid and vice versa.
It's a crystalline solid, yes, I know, I've done the research. Thanks anyway. But at room temperature, it is solid. Frozen. Doesn't move.
Leadballoon said:
Spectral Dragon said:
FOR THE LAST TIME I SAID SNIP
You want counter arguments that have worked for me:

Glass is an amorphous solid meaning that it's crystal structure is not in a disordered arrangement instead of an ordered like in most other crystals. (granted this was used in a argument with 1 year chemists)

the argument that old glass is thicker in the bottom is true in many cases but not because it a slow liquid but rather because you would have a hard time making a mould completely flat and leveled. Due to this the glassmakers chose to put the thicker end on the bottom of the window since it would also improve stability. That being said you can find old windows which are thicker in the top.
And the final argument is that IF glass was a slow liquid then the very old lenses/telescopes wouldn't work today due to the glass acting like a liquid and it would ruin the effect. BUT the old lenses and telescopes works today like they worked back then

Of course YOU knew that, so this go out to all those who think that glass is a slow liquid
I have done the research, and I know that. Thanks though! Also, the best argument is that we have 1500 year old roman cups, made of glass, softer than today's glass, that still looks like a cup.

Edit: Problem is no one LISTENS to the arguments because it's common sense by now that it's liquid, and has been for quite some time. Like the bumblebees can't fly but do anyway. NOTE: To spare me further trouble, I KNOW how a bumblebee flies, where the myth originated and how it's false that they can't.

OT: I now hate forum code! Stress and trying to steer that^ up does not work well!

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Shoqiyqa said:
Either way, this is a woman feeding a relative of velociraptor and we still can't cure HIV infection:
Neither I nor murderiser need to work on the cure for HIV because you are doing that. Because you wouldn't pull out the sort of rhetoric you used in this post unless you were actually a person working in immunology, right?

And I can only say, I thank you for your service in working to cure the HIV infection. But...why are you working on curing on HIV when we still don't have a cure for cancer?

And if you happen to be working on a cure for HIV and cancer, I ask you, why are you working on cures for HIV and Cancer when we still don't have a long-term cost-effective alternative to fossil fuels?

Actually, what exactly are you doing to make the world a better place for other people--because surely you must be if you can judge murderiser and I with such complex and well-worded witticisms?

Each person has different skills. And each person does different things. I'm pretty secure in the things I do to make the world a better place for people other than myself. You may not care, or understand the conversation murderiser and I are having...you may not think it is important...and good for you...move along and continue with your research on HIV. And when you, as a research scientist, get into some of the very similar category crises that plague the study of HIV (because believe it or not, I keep up on HIV research and the debates in that field...which can be very vicious indeed), I'm not going to belittle your scientific discourse, because I know that that is part of the process of learning and discovery.

Anyway, despite the fact that you seem to have no respect for murderiser or myself, I want you to know that I still respect your work as a research scientist working to cure HIV.

hazgys

Sep 13, 2010
Spectral Dragon said:
Glass. As usual. The whole "glass is a liquid!" thing.
The one argument: There are a few windows from like 200 years ago that look like that!
Well, considering we have glasses from even further back that look like they did then...
"But it's a VERY slow process."

Just... Bothers me. EVERY time. Expecially since few accept counter arguments.
You probably already know this but the actual reason some old glasses look warped and flowing's because of thickness variations caused by small temperature changes that occurred when the window was pulled out of the molten glass vat before being worked.

A writer who does his research

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
hazgys said:
Spectral Dragon said:
Come on, there's not one person in this thread who knows I'm talking about glass here now. SNIP
You probably already know this but the actual reason some old glasses look warped and flowing's because of thickness variations caused by small temperature changes that occurred when the window was pulled out of the molten glass vat before being worked.

A writer who does his research
Nope. It has to do with the way they made the panes - by folding them over and over. They didn't end up the exact same size then, and when but together, made that warped pattern. That's the version I've heard, anyway.
Thank you, Wikipedia!

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The following pet peeve is admittedly minor, but I can't help but notice it every time it comes up:

Nearly every time an actor is "playing a video game" on TV or film they're manically hammering every button on the controller like their hands are having an epileptic fit. It's particularly amusing if the game they're playing is supposed to be more complex than a simple button-masher. Anyone who's bothered to observe their hands when utilizing a game controller knows that the movement of the digits are calculated and precise.