Did Not Do The Research

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
PieceOfEden said:
Some of the science in Fringe is ridiculous. "The thermite in his skin sealed all his breathing orifices.." LOL WUT?
See, this is why I cant watch these shows. Apart from the mediocre acting, inconsistent writers and bland characters, you have shit like that every episode.

Hell, I dont even know what termite are and it sounds stupid to me.

(Just kidding, I do, but still. You get the gist.)
Uhm, Fringe is a show based on theoretical science. NONE OF IT ITS SUPPOSED TO BE REAL. Who the fuck cares if it doesnt make sense, its a show on pseudoscience.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Any show or movie set in modern times that feature games sounding like they came out of the eighties, even when they're being played on a modern PC or console.

Basically seeing the Pacman Fever Trope in effect.

Archedgar

May 7, 2008
Teeth.
Teeth are not bones.
Teeth are organs, like your lungs, heart and liver.

Get it right.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
sniddy said:
I'm not an expert but I know a little - example watching Terra Nova last night and when they FINALLY got round to correcting the HUGE flaw (different time streams) I relaxed a little - this shows a modicum of understanding and respect - I shall see if you develop into a real show or a stinking dog turn and/or get canceled after 1 season
At least Terra Nova (afaik) didn't even try to get time travel quirks working, but brought some alternate universe, unlike "reboot the universe" type of bs that Doctor Who brings on a daily basis in the new series (no that the old one was any better [in that respect][as I love both the old and new series], but at least it didn't take itself so seriously).

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
I guess this:
And in general when movies uses *bip* *bop* sounds when people are coding. You would go nuts if that happen.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Neverhoodian said:
The following pet peeve is admittedly minor, but I can't help but notice it every time it comes up:

Nearly every time an actor is "playing a video game" on TV or film they're manically hammering every button on the controller like their hands are having an epileptic fit. It's particularly amusing if the game they're playing is supposed to be more complex than a simple button-masher. Anyone who's bothered to observe their hands when utilizing a game controller knows that the movement of the digits are calculated and precise.
Or better yet when the actor is say... holding a N64 controller as a xbox system is sitting in front of the TV and their playing a REAL on the screen game... that was only released on the ps2... all while NES era sounds are playing.
Oh man, I've seen bad examples of this. I was waiting to get my new ID card when some Disney show was on TV. In it, a guy and his friend brought the guy's little brother a "new" game... for the Nintendo 64.
They all proceeded to play it... by hammering away like maniacs on the controllers. Which weren't even plugged in.
After a few seconds, the console started to sputter and release tons and tons of smoke. Because N64s were SO notorious for spontaneously combusting, right?
After that, the mom said the older brother would have to buy a new console, to which he replied that it would be way too expensive. Really? A refurbished N64 runs about $40 on eBay. That's $20 less than the average console game today. Not even joking: Link [http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nintendo-64-Gray-Console-/100236331?LH_ItemCondition=2000%7C2500&_catref=1&_dmpt=Video_Games&_pcategid=139971&_pcatid=814&_refkw=Nintendo+64#]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Moontouched-Moogle said:
ace_of_something said:
Neverhoodian said:
The following pet peeve is admittedly minor, but I can't help but notice it every time it comes up:

Nearly every time an actor is "playing a video game" on TV or film they're manically hammering every button on the controller like their hands are having an epileptic fit. It's particularly amusing if the game they're playing is supposed to be more complex than a simple button-masher. Anyone who's bothered to observe their hands when utilizing a game controller knows that the movement of the digits are calculated and precise.
Or better yet when the actor is say... holding a N64 controller as a xbox system is sitting in front of the TV and their playing a REAL on the screen game... that was only released on the ps2... all while NES era sounds are playing.
Oh man, I've seen bad examples of this. I was waiting to get my new ID card when some Disney show was on TV. In it, a guy and his friend brought the guy's little brother a "new" game... for the Nintendo 64.
They all proceeded to play it... by hammering away like maniacs on the controllers. Which weren't even plugged in.
After a few seconds, the console started to sputter and release tons and tons of smoke. Because N64s were SO notorious for spontaneously combusting, right?
After that, the mom said the older brother would have to buy a new console, to which he replied that it would be way too expensive. Really? A refurbished N64 runs about $40 on eBay. That's $20 less than the average console game today. Not even joking: Link [http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Nintendo-64-Gray-Console-/100236331?LH_ItemCondition=2000%7C2500&_catref=1&_dmpt=Video_Games&_pcategid=139971&_pcatid=814&_refkw=Nintendo+64#]
Let's not forget lines like "I just defeated the hyper-wizard and got a million bonus points!"

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
Spectral Dragon said:
Glass. As usual. The whole "glass is a liquid!" thing.
The one argument: There are a few windows from like 200 years ago that look like that!
Well, considering we have glasses from even further back that look like they did then...
"But it's a VERY slow process."

Just... Bothers me. EVERY time. Expecially since few accept counter arguments.

huh?

Seriously, who flunked basic science enough to think that?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Vhite said:
TheSilverTeen said:
Obviously... Video Related.
At first I thought you were someone who was asking for help because you didn't research something.
I have seen top 8 of those on cracked. While this is really bad, two people hacking (read: randomly pressing buttons on keyboard very fast) on one keyboard is what made tears come down from from eyes.

WARNING! IF YOU HAVE SPENT MORE THEN 1 HOURS IN YOUR LIFE ON COMPUTER, FOLLOWING LINK CAN MAKE YOU CRY OR CAUSE UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
This:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19160_8-scenes-that-prove-hollywood-doesnt-get-technology_p1.html
I remember that article, that was a painful read.

Aleol

Mar 20, 2009
Thedek said:
Aleol said:
Thedek said:
Aleol said:
Swords, Swords and swords. Nobody seems to understand how longswords work; even though they clearly have two sharp edges and a pointy end, most people think their heavy club-like metal sticks. Seriously? Also, katanas are seriously overrated. They're no better than any other sword

Also armor. Why does armor seem to be made of paper and heavy as a steel beam in movies and videogames? A guy in a full plate harness is not going to go down easily at all, and yet most depictions of it have blades going straight through it. Even stabbing through plate was difficult. and there are other armors too that are given the shaft. I don't mind it in games so much (unless it's a goddamn cutscene), as it's mostly just visual aesthetic, but movies have no excuse. Also, their maille must be really bad quality, because apparently swords can cut through those as well (they can't) maybe a hard stab, but not a cut.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArmorIsUseless
Katana's were pretty crappy swords really. I mean I think they WERE sharp, but the edge dulled pretty fast if it was used pretty well, and it was fairly brittle to be using against metal armor or to be striking against other weapons. As I understand it it was largely a symbolic weapon, used as a status symbol, in duels and against unarmored peasants. The samurai's real combat weapons were spears, other pole arms and bows. (Pretty sure most of this is incorrect but I'm not sure if all of it is.)

I believe western swords, or really any blade could cut through armor.... eventually, and given enough force but it would largely wreak havoc on the edge( dulling the every loving SHIT out of it) and probably damaging the structural integrity of the entire weapon... unless they were specifically designed to counter armor. As said stabs would be much more likely to work as most were generally designed to foil slashes rather then trusts.

Typically you looked for gaps in the armor (joints typically as you have to be able to move), used a blunt weapon which could possibly do even MORE damage on someone wearing armor than someone who is not (crushing through plate to the point the owners own armor is stabbing them into something vital or crushed in so heavily that they suffocate), or use arrows which have all that inertia to help them penetrate the armor.
Yeah, I know. Most people don't know though.
Katanas were essentially dueling weapons.
European and middle eastern armor is largely underrated. Plate armor was extremely tough and not easily pierced. It's actually been used quite a bit in the last 300 years in wars to protect soldiers.
Swords aren't exactly armor breakers. It usually took a specialized weapon (warhammer, pike, halberd, mace) but the sword itself was quite versatile, and often soldiers held the blade such that they could use the pommel as a hammer (with protection of course) Axes were also quite effective.

I am personally ashamed for using the wrong form for "they are" in my original post.
Eh grammar mishaps happen. Yeah the funny thing even I didn't know is that good plate didn't really start getting made in any kind of amounts until the flintlock was invented. That's right kiddies. Plate armor stopped BULLETS. Granted it was late plate and early ass bullets, besides if you had more than a breastplate, maybe a cuirass(I forget exactly what it all entails so that may be the wrong word) you were largely too immobile in a battle to be useful, during the early gun days, and a fat lot of good being immune to small arms fire is when someone can get annoyed, fall back and manage to hit you with a bloody cannon, because you are too slow to avoid it.

Also plate armor wasn't THAT heavy. It was like.. what 44-80 lbs maybe? When a modern soldier is generally expected to carry like 180-200 lbs? Granted the armor now is much lighter but apparently the brass thinks that you ought to be your own bloody pack mule so enjoy marching carrying all the bullets you will need for at least the next few battles.

Disclaimer: I may be incorrect with a few facts but I believe I was fairly close in most of them, feel free to correct me in a non hateful manner with current assured facts if you have them. For example, if you are currently serving you would be more familiar with your typical battle load out due to weight, not to mention the details of them. Speaking of which if we have any, do combat rations (not MREs though those might count) still taste like regurgitated ass left in a fridge for a month?
Yeah, plate armor is around that much. The weight around the legs causes fatigue a little more easily, but for the most part, plate armor allowed for considerable flexibility and near-ultimate protection.

I say near ultimate because I'll be damned if crossbows and (really the only bow powerful enough) English longbows didn't cause some problems. Not too many problems mind; Crossbows were very unwieldy and only the soldiers who could afford servants on the battlefield would be able to fire quickly enough to cause any number of soldiers any trouble (and even that is pretty slow) and longbows, while having no real shortage of soldiers trained from birth, were very expensive, and not entirely guaranteed to pierce the armor at range. Plus there were the whole crushing/piercing blows thing. The armor did get heavier and heavier as gunpowder weapons got more advanced, though.

BookBeast

Jan 2, 2010
Asita said:
Well, I do remember a certain parody of horrible research:

Similarly, the little bit about how mankind "only uses 10% of their brain" tends to aggravate me to no end. (Details why here).
Oh God me too. It's not like you only use 10% of your brain ever. You use the bits of it you need for any particular thing (e.g., solving a math problem, playing tennis). As I like to point out, if you actually used 100% of your brain at any given time you wouldn't have superpowers, you'd be dead (or at least in serious deep doo-doo).

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
TestECull said:
Every single fictional movie and TV show I've ever watched where the characters are driving a manual gearbox shows them grinding the gears with every single god damned shift.

That. Is. Not. How. It. Works! Gears only grind like that if you fuck the shift up, so what it's saying is that the character is completely destroying the gearbox....how were they supposed to catch the bad guy when they've ruined their gearbox!?

..Blah. That one really grinds my gears for some reason.
Ha, I see what you did there!
Yeah, I noticed that too, it's kind of annoying. It always makes me cringe, especially when you see someone in a Corvette or other sports car driving along, chase music playing, and GRRRRIIIINDD!!!! GRIIINDDD!

Also, two examples in NCIS:

In one episode, McGee and Abby team up to defeat a hacker by typing on the SAME KEYBOARD! Explain to me how THAT works.

In another one, a character that happens to be a video game geek, somehow manages to get the "High Score" in every modern MMO created.

First off, you don't get high scores in MMO's.
Secondly, even if you COULD, just being the best at ONE MMO would mean you had no life and can't sustain any kind of income, let alone being the best at multiple MMO's.

But, even though it does irk me a little, I don't get up in arms about it. It's a fictional TV show, it can't do extensive research on every hobby and activity it uses in it's plot, or it wouldn't be able to run a new episode every week.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
AdumbroDeus said:
Spectral Dragon said:
The one argument: There are a few windows from like 200 years ago that look like that!
Well, considering we have glasses from even further back that look like they did then...

huh?

Seriously, who flunked basic science enough to think that?
I think they actually used to teach this in schools -- it's certainly what they taught my dad. The question is whether it was a misinformed high school science instructor, or whether the distinction between an amorphous solid and an extremely viscous liquid is a relatively new one, and the "glass is a liquid" thing was at some point considered scientifically accurate.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Spectral Dragon said:

This bothers me as well, simply because it is obviously and provably false. Someone told me this and I was Like: So, what you're telling me is: you're an idiot.

One that's bugged me for a long time, is when people call someone who digs up dinosaur bones an archaeologist. No, they are a Paleontologist.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Inkidu said:
Well technically you're wrong. The first person to ever do space marines was Robert A. Hienlen (God I know I'm spelling it wrong.)

In fact, he did it like such a boss he didn't even have to call them space marines. They're called Mobile Infantry. If you look at what they did in combat, they were marines though... in space.
It's "Heinlein" BTW n.n

And yes, I am aware of that, but I chose to focus on a specific instance. If you want to be really, really obscure the first Space Marines were Galactic Marines from E.E. Smith's Lensman series all the way back in 1937.

However, this is the argument that crops up all the time, and my point still stands - Starcraft fanboys especially say GW is ripping them off. This is especially apparent as most Space Marines in gaming seem to borrow rather heavily from them.

While we're on the same subject -

Halo Fanboys - this show was made and released in 1999. If anything, Halo is ripping IT off.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Murderiser said:
One slightly glaring problem with Mass Effect is Liara. She is a Xeno-archeologist (someone who digs up and categorises the remains of unknown civilisations) and yet is listed as an 'Asari Scientist'. Archeologists do know a smattering of science (it does help with digs) but they are firmly in the HUMANITIES camp and are not SCIENTISTS, as they study the works of humans. I think the confusion probably set in as it is possible to gain a doctorate in both history and archeology which does give them the right to stick 'Dr.' in front of their names.

This may sound pedantic, but as a humanities student, this is such a collosal error I'm amazed that none of the writers pointed it out!
But archeology is a branch of anthropology which is considered a "social science", so they are still technically correct.

It may not be a more "pure" science like physics, but it is still science.

Not George Carlin

Jan 11, 2011
thenumberthirteen said:
Not George Carlin said:
This made me cry: http://i.imgur.com/4mjrW.png
More a joke than DNDtR.
I wouldn't know it, I didn't even watch it. Even so, it's not funny, that's like saying you like Half Life and holding up a copy of Silent Hill. No one would laugh they would just assume you should be put into a small box with a book and a helmet.