Did Starcraft 2 seem like a disappointment to you?

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
The only thing i was looking forward to in SC2 was custom maps and they had to fuck it up, they just had to. Why change what worked in WC3 and SC1?

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
No, the gameplay is solid and it's nice to play a RTS that doesn't tries weird things with it gameplay to be different. The story is descent but nothing special, and that is more than you game say about most space marine games. Blizzard tried to created starcraft with better graphic and that was what the fans wanted.

Now battle net 2.0 is a different story that thing can go die in a hole

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
I doubt that you've played Warcraft 3 that much if you compare its gameplay to Starcraft. They are very different in my opinion.

I find that a lot of people wanted Starcraft 2 to have completely new gamplay from its predecessor, despite the fact that the gameplay that Starcraft 1 employed was perhaps the most balance while still offering competitive skill to make a difference. In a way, I think people wanted to see a Dawn of War 2 difference, which in my opinion was a major flop. Also, people kept criticizing the single-player, despite the fact that its competitive multiplayer was its main focus. This being the Escapist and containing a certain person who criticizes multiplayer at every turn, would not surprise that a crapload of people would follow his opinion. This is a community that leans more towards single-player games though, so I'm not entirely surprised. Of course, I didn't think single-player was that great besides some gameplay mechanics they introduced to it.

Tzekelkan said:
I'm assuming that is because a large part of the community mirror's Yahtzee's opinions exactly. Not everyone, but you can't say that all the threads about HL2 and the Orange Box, all the hate against popular games, all the non-stop whining about chest-high walls, cover combat and regenerating health is entirely unrelated to Zero Punctuation.

Personally I loved Starcraft 2. To me it had a very close feeling to the original, all the while being stunning and amazing for all the things it had. I'm generally not very good at RTS but I'm fairly competent in SC2 (singleplayer, the multiplayer is extremely hard but I like it). I still have my gripes with parts of the story and other details, so it's not perfect, but it's a very fun game for me.

We can objectively say that it wasn't a financial flop, but whether someone liked it or not will depend on personal preference just like with any other thing ever.
Basically my point.

AndyFromMonday said:
You built your units, he built his and the person who got lucky would win. Then there were the cheaters who would just hide buildings all over the map in unreachable position, especially terran, so you couldn't win. As I got to the higher leagues, specifically gold, it all became way to competitive. Unless you spent your time learning the correct builds it was hopeless.
I can understand if you can't be competitive in the multiplayer, but are you really going to call that cheating? It's like calling camping in FPS cheating, it's frustrating to deal against but it's not cheating.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
TerranReaper said:
I can understand if you can't be competitive in the multiplayer, but are you really going to call that cheating? It's like calling camping in FPS cheating, it's frustrating to deal against but it's not cheating.
Yes it is. You're purposely denying someone a well earned victory when you know you cannot win. This happened to me way to many times. I beat out a terran player only to have no means through which to build say a viking. The dude lifts up his command center, puts it in a place I cannot reach and basically denies me victory even though I won. It's a delaying tactic and that has no place in a multiplayer game. You lost, deal with it. I'm glad Blizzard is actually baning people for using such a tactic.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Is it a good game? Aye.
Is it the leap ahead that Warcraft 3 was? Not by a long shot.

If you want to know what Starcraft 2 should have been like relative to Starcraft, look at Warcraft 3. Although Warcraft 2 was a successful game, they did not just port the gameplay of the previous installment over to a newer graphic engine, but instead redid the entire gameplay and, dare I say, premise of the game.
That's what SC2 should have been - even a successful game series needs to keep reinventing itself.

The single player campaign was not really noteworthy, and I, too, don't like playing multiplayer on non-custom maps simply due to people taking this *game* (which, in my book, is a specific type of toy, and thus supposed to be fun) way too seriously.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
cWg | Konka said:
Tbh I though Starcraft 2 was the worse RTS I've played ever
I wouldn't say worst. That goes to Maelstrom. However, in terms of massive disappointments, Starcraft 2 is definitely up there. It's like Starcraft, but with graphics that would've been impressive 5 years ago (instead of 13) and gameplay that is exactly the same.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, I find it awful. I mean, I tried not to get hyped up for this at all and I am still disappointed.

The story is just lame and the cinematics make me embarrassed to even watch them. The writer should be fired, I have no sympathy at all.

As for the game play, not only very similar to the first but worse in that they got rid of some of the most interesting units and they have abilities that only experts would use. I don't even know how they did it, I just prefer the game play in the original more.

Campaign I found alright though as long as I avoid the story and cinematics.

Ossian

Mar 11, 2010
I saw no innovation or additions to the RTS genre, so yes, it was a flop.

Men of war is the true man's RTS. [http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=men+of+war+assault+squad&page=&utm_source=opensearch]

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I'm enjoying it, although the story line isn't the best piece of fiction out there.
I don't care, because the game play is very, very, good.
Then again what else could it be?

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
A flop? No.
A massive slap to the face of it's fans? hell yes.

No LAN?
That's the reason so many liked it in the first place!

And they're charging you three times for the full game? that is beyond greed.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
cWg | Konka said:
Tbh I though Starcraft 2 was the worse RTS I've played ever
Oh come on...

It cannot possibly be the WORST rts you have ever played. It is too polished.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I'm not good at the game, but I love it, still havent beaten it though... for some reason I just cant grasp all the multitasking and micromanagement... love the game but I have no idea how people pull off some of the cool shit I've seen online

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Damn, the game has been out for almost half a year, and they still want sixty bucks for it. DIAF Kotick.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I loved the single player, but none of my friends play StarCraft 2, and I'm not that good in multiplayer anyway. I only won a handful of practice games against other people. More like I'm disappointed in myself. Also, all of the new DRM-type stuff is absolute jank and needs to go. I shouldn't have to be connected to the internet to play single player.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
I didn't like the first Starcraft, so it's my fault for buying Starcraft 2 in the first place, but I didn't particularly like it. Just ain't my kind of RTS, I'm terrible at it. I haven't noticed much different than the first, but that's just me.

Still say it was a good game though, just not for me.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
Personally, me and my friends played it religiously for about...A month or two, we loved every second of it.

Then we seemed to all, at the same time, reach the conclusion that actually, it was a very meh RTS at best, especially where the online play was concerned.

I dunno, we enjoyed the time we had with it, but in the end we all just ended up uninstalling it and shuffling our way back to Dawn of War 2.

EDIT: I think the more relevant question isn't if the game was a flop, but perhaps...Did the game live up to the hype? Or more to the point, did it live up to your expectations?

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I wouldn't call it a flop, I would barely call it a disappointment. Put it like this: I was expecting a BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!, what I got was a BOOM!. In part due to the fact that I won't have the entire game in at least three more years.