Did you ever attend a private university?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
zen5887 said:
Queensland. Yeah the job prospect is always a worry, even worse considering I probably won't go bush after I graduate. I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope that me being a dude and graduating halfway through the year will be enough to get me a steady gig. I'm willing to do sub work but geez it's so unstable.
Well QLD I think has much better job prospects than NSW. It's pretty tough right now; if you're catholic trained then you'll find it much easier I think. I have a couple of friends who are catholic trained and got jobs straight away whereas most of us have to cope with casual work.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
pearcinator said:
Well QLD I think has much better job prospects than NSW. It's pretty tough right now; if you're catholic trained then you'll find it much easier I think. I have a couple of friends who are catholic trained and got jobs straight away whereas most of us have to cope with casual work.
Well that's good news! Sorry to hear about NSW. What's going on that makes education so tricky to get into?

I don't think Catholic education is a thing I'd be into. Public school 4 lyfe

Trinket to Ride

Jul 13, 2014
I started at private, dropped out because I wanted to change my major to something they didn't offer, went to community college, and transferred into a state school, which is where I'm at now.

1) Honestly, I liked private school the best of the three, but by an extremely narrow margin. Certainly not enough to justify the significantly higher tuition.

2) The buildings and classrooms were nicer at private, and there were a lot less fraternities/sororities. Teaching quality was basically the same.

3) Proooobably. Well, actually, not there specifically, but I've got to start looking at grad schools soon, and I'm leaning towards private. Slightly higher reputation and education quality, along with tuition reimbursement are quite appealing.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
zen5887 said:
Well that's good news! Sorry to hear about NSW. What's going on that makes education so tricky to get into?
This last year there's been a huge graduate glut. You see, a few years ago the Govt. was crying out for more teachers. So what does everybody (including me) do? We go to uni to study education. Now there are too many teachers and not nearly enough jobs.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/graduate-glut-puts-trainee-teachers-on-the-scrapheap-20141019-115wa4.html

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Six years of private university. This means one thing in the US, another in the UK, and another in Argentina, I think.

Alvin Joseph said:
1. How was your experience?
There're lots of "sons and daughters of somebody important" who are just wasting daddy's money on a career they're not sure they wanna have in the first place.

2. If you studied at a public school at any point, how would you describe the differences?
Dunno.

3. Would you enroll in a graduate program there?
I did.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
CymbaIine said:
What's a private uni? Do we have them in the UK?
No... No I'm pretty sure we don't. That's why they can only set their tuition fees to £9,000, and why I vaguely remember a pub crawl in London funded by the NUS, I think we were supposed to be protesting that it was going to be 9 grand instead of whatever the fuck I was paying...

... Of course, we also call our Private schools "Public schools", so who the fuck knows?

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
Alvin Joseph said:
1. How was your experience?
I didn't attend a private university, purely because in Argentina the public one is really good and actually ranks a lot better in Latin America than many (if not all) argentinian private universities. I did went to a private high school, though.

2. If you studied at a public school at any point, how would you describe the differences?
Hmm, the building is quite old compared to the private ones. And the professors don't get paid as much. You have more freedom, though. Chances you're going to encounter the same people at every course you take is slim. You are forced to be much more independant, ruthless and run against the clock more often than people who attend private universities in this country.

3. Would you enroll in a graduate program there?
Yeah.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
CymbaIine said:
They are private run Universities mostly in the US that are for profit rather then education. They tend to use deceptive adds and marketing to trick people into taking useless careers are amassing thousands of dollars in debt.

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
Ryotknife said:
Non resident tuition is like 3x resident tuition.
Not always, I currently attend Boise State, and ignoring scholarships it is only ~1.5x the resident rate for the University of Washington(For reference, one of the private Uni's in WA is ~3x UW ). Plus many out of state colleges have some sort of scholarship to negate non-res fees.(I have such a scholarship and pay about half of what it would be for UW)

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Despite looking at various private universities, I never did attend one. Actually, I ultimately ended up at the major public universities in the city of the private university that was the first to accept my application. In the end, though, they didn't offer enough scholarships to justify the higher costs.

Ryotknife said:
tippy2k2 said:
TLDR; Seriously kids, go to a public school. Unless you're looking for a super specialty (doctor, lawyer, or one of those types of jobs), don't waste your money and your life going private.
Well, its only cheaper if you live in that state, otherwise it costs just as much as private...

Non resident tuition is like 3x resident tuition.
I'd still say that it is generally good advice to stick to a public university in your own state. Yeah, there might be situations where going out-of-state or going private would be ideal, but unless you're going to a very well-respected private university that you can afford or can get a lot of scholarships, you're probably better off going to a good public university.

Heck, for many people, doing community college for a couple years might be a good option just to further cut down on costs.

Not all public universities are created equal as well, both in terms of quality and what they offer.
I'm pretty sure that most states have at least one or two (likely more) public universities that are well respected and capable of offering a good education. Sure, some of them are very hard to get into, but I've generally found there to be at least one that also accepts more mediocre students.

And if they won't take you straight out of high school, then really think about community college. It may ultimately make up for lackluster high school performance, and if it doesn't, then at least you didn't waste so much money.

seventy two said:
Plus many out of state colleges have some sort of scholarship to negate non-res fees.
I'm not sure if it's the case everywhere, but here in Florida, private universities will offer scholarships to in-state students. Granted, these hardly make up for the costs of attending a private university over a public one (at least without plenty of other scholarships), but they are available.

Little Gray said:
CymbaIine said:
They are private run Universities mostly in the US that are for profit rather then education. They tend to use deceptive adds and marketing to trick people into taking useless careers are amassing thousands of dollars in debt.
Do bear in mind that some of our most noted universities (e.g. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Colombia) are private. Private shouldn't be an automatic mark against a university, but it is an indication to be more cautious due to those higher costs. Still, there are times where those higher costs are justified.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Four times the cost for the same education -and- have to take religion classes? Ah, no, fuck that!

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
1. I did. It was mostly good. I enjoyed it. And now it's over.

2. I've also taken courses at public schools. I've found it to be, more or less, the same.

3. Nope. But they didn't/don't have the kind of program I was interested/am enrolled in. So no.

I am at a separate private institution for my graduate program. Which is a whole different ordeal. But mostly because of the material.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Little Gray said:
CymbaIine said:
That is a for profit university, which is different. Keep in mind the majority of the most prestigious colleges are private.

Harvard, Yale, Columbia, MIT, etc are all examples of private universities that are not for profit.

seventy two

Mar 7, 2011
MysticSlayer said:
seventy two said:
Plus many out of state colleges have some sort of scholarship to negate non-res fees.
I'm not sure if it's the case everywhere, but here in Florida, private universities will offer scholarships to in-state students. Granted, these hardly make up for the costs of attending a private university over a public one (at least without plenty of other scholarships), but they are available.
Just to clarify since I was a bit vague, when I mentioned scholarships I was talking specifically about ones designed to counter the non-res fees. These scholarships tend to be neither needs based nor particularly merit based. An example would be the WUE(Western Undergraduate Exchange) where students can easily get access to a much lower non-res fee at partnered institutions without it being a special case. The point I originally set out to make was just to validate the option of going out of state not having to be a costly venture.

As to your comment on private university's having scholarships for being from the state was not something I saw happen much up here. At-least not in a general sense, most universities do have some form of scholarship for for high-achievers from their state. I will note that during my research, when I was applying, I noticed that private uni's tended to offer more(varied/opportunities for) financial aid that public ones.