Did You Like Dragon Age Origins??

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
I enjoyed it. Although by no means a perfect game, it comes damn close. The choices matter, the dialouge choices doesn't feel so extreme (super good or super evil, more natural), the story flows well, party members are for the most part interesting and the banter between them is very amusing (espically Alister)

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
If you enjoy engaging RPGs with deep story, broad scope, moral questions, and ball-breaking combat, then you'll love this game. The story - masterfully told - is dark and gritty with a touch of humor hidden throughout. There are moments that have literally made my jaw drop (?Did? did I just SEE that?!?) The characters are /real/, not some simple NPC filling a specific role, so interaction with them is fascinating.

On the other side, the game-play can be a tad annoying at times (that freakin' 'wheel' selection is touchy) and NEVER rely on auto-save. EVAR. Sometimes you'll cruise through a section only to do one thing wrong and watch your party drop like Paris Hilton?s skirt. And the NPC AI can also be thoroughly aggravating when you don't program their tactics right. 'You're dying idiot... DRINK a health potion!!!'

I liken DA:O to a good relationship. Exciting and heady at first, then you start seeing the person's faults and foibles, but in the end you'll find a deep and unwavering love.

I haven't finished it yet... probably won't be able to for some time to come either (22 hours+ in and only seen 24% of the game apparently). But I've enjoyed this more than any of the other Bioware products (and I say this as a worshipper of the KOTOR altar). And then I can play it again from an entirely different perspective!

It is a must buy.

Firsteye

Nov 12, 2009
point taken I guess some people just don't like it sorry if my earlier remark offended you.

timmytom1

Feb 26, 2009
I`m just going to out to rent it in a sec , quick question, is their a considerable "grind"element to the game? as i have to admit spending 20 hours just leveling my character to fight a boss before starting the routine again doth not a fun game sound.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
DracoSuave said:
I love me some Origins. What can I say?

The fact that your origin story -matters- and can actually color your view of the game story is an interesting thing.

I played as a Human Noble, so things like the Dwarven culture seemed... well... I didn't really clue in how unique and -different- it was from the norm. Yeah, they care about honor, and there's some politics and there's a downtrodden class, but nothing really stood out...

...and then I played the Dwarf Noble story. Suddenly Ozrammar seemed like a very -very- evil place, a place of constant stagnant tragedy, of danger and of intrigue that made the Couslands' troubles seem like a walk through caketown. Also, Gorim suddenly had some importance other than the Denerim 'DWARVEN CRAFTS!' merchants.

Yeah, it plays with some of the tropes, woodsy elves, tradition-based dwarves, but damn if it doesn't start to deconstruct them and start going in totally different, morally grey roads with them. There's no good guys in Dragon Age: Origins. There's just the threat of annihilation and an ancient order who only exist to do Whatever It Takes to defeat that annihiliation.

Some of the game choices -really- challenge the player in terms of moral outcomes. It's -hard- to be a total goody twoshoes, and the game does NOT reward you for being good, or for being evil, or for being neutral in the same sense that KoTOR does. Does your morality matter? Yes, but not in the sense of "I AM GOOD HUZZAH" but more "I regret doing this thing, but it must be done or else everyone dies."

In the words of Duncan "I am sorry." And yet, he does what must be done, and that sets the tone for the -entirety- of your quest, where you may do acts ranging from demon-worship, to genocide, to exorcism, and sometimes all at the same time.

There's humor in it, but it's not the same style of humor as HK-47 or Minsc. It's a more intellegent, dry wit that pervades the game. It doesn't feel over the top, but it's a lot more subtle and some players never really catch the true charm of it. I for one -love- the dialogs that randomly break out between characters. Alistair and Morrigan's naturally foiling each other, Zevran hitting on -everyone-, Lelliana's stories as you approach items of interest... it's a rich tapestry, and you're trading in 'GO FOR THE EYES BOO' one liners for more substance and texture in the dialog.
This. So much truth here. The density of truth here is so great that it may collapse upon itself and form a black hole.
ma55ter_fett said:
on the 360 version targeting specific bad guys is kind of difficult, also barricades barricades will kill you because you can't target them in combat (to destroy them) and enemies will just stand behind them and kill you dead.
Probably a good reason to go for the PC version then. The PC version lets you target and destroy barricades.

As for the balancing issue; I think that bowman skills, and to a lesser extent daggers, are underpowered. Rogues wielding swords have more DPS than with daggers, and almost all bow skills are useless, though bows/crossbows themselves are fine. Also, shapeshifters need a boost. They are pretty crappy, since beast abilities take mana and it stops your mage from casting spells.

Raykuza

Jul 1, 2009
I like how DAO took typical Western RPG lore (e.g. elves, dwarves, dragons, etc.) and somehow managed to make a world so deep and detailed that it avoided being too generic. I have spent hours perusing the codex for fascinating information about Thedas. There is more back story than actual story, though the actual story does not disappoint. The choices are not nearly as black & white as they are with most morality games, and I feel like your decisions actually affect the world that you are playing in.

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
timmytom1 said:
I`m just going to out to rent it in a sec , quick question, is their a considerable "grind"element to the game? as i have to admit spending 20 hours just leveling my character to fight a boss before starting the routine again doth not a fun game sound.
There is not a grind to it at all, you can absolutely ignore all the sidequests and not feel a bit of shame about it. The game presents them as being very optional.

I have never played any of Bioware's previous games and I feel bad for that now. The reason I feel bad is because I haven't already financially supported a company that obviously puts so much effort into their games. The story is very well written, the voice acting is really good, your choices in game really make a big difference on the way the story plays out, and it is absolutely a fun game.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Awesome game. Love it.
Some minor UI gripes and the fact that the hairstyles are a bit lackluster.
Other than that it is completely engaging. Combat is furious and accessible after some practice.
Definitely not too short. very long in fact. And despite what Yahtzee says, the origins really do add a great deal of complexity to the game. It's definitely not "six games in one" but what your origin is, and how you handled it will have some repercussions later in the game.

BTW, you should watch the Yahtzee review if you haven't already. Hilarious.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
It's okay. The story is, as far as I've gotten through it, okay. Same goes for the combat.

It's just... an okay game. It's not that special, but it's okay.

And I'd recommend you getting something else like Fallout 1/2/3, Morrowind, Oblivion or something along that line.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Renamedsin said:
Did you?
Why/ why not?
Should I get it or not?
whats best part of the game?
And please, I say Please
NO Spoilers!

Just talk about things like
Is the story good?
did you enjoy the gameplay
was the game to short?
NO Ingamestory Information, if you can
Are you serious?

Question should be "do" you like it, the game is 100+ hours easily on each playthrough.
I don't know what your tastes are, but if you like RPGs, this is easily the best one Bioware has done since BG2 (and yes, that includes Mass Effect and KOTOR).
Of course the story is good, the backstories for the characters are fantastic; I won't spoil anything, but you'll have to make some tough choices and by the end of each intro area, you'll have lost something dear to you.

The combat is challenging and I personally enjoy it - I could imagine a lot of people would have problems with it, and I'm playing it on PC so I zoom out BG style. I actually really, really enjoy it, the story is great, the dialogue is great, the writing is constantly excellent.

~~~~~~~~

Lemme warn you though, first hour I was kinda skeptical, but after the first day, I was hooked.

Oh, and Tim Curry is playing a generic evil guy like he always is...Captain Janeway is that Witch...There's a lot of good actors and the voice-acting is nice.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Yes. It's brilliant. The characters are all gorgeously written and acted, the story draws you in, the gameplay takes some getting used to if you're not familiar with the style of game but is rewarding once you've mastered it. I think my favourite moments are just listening to the random conversations between the characters as you wander through the town because a) they're hilarious and b) you get to know a little more about your party. Plus, if any of the characters piss you off, you can put them in silly hats, or even snark them to their face.

Personally, I loved the game, and it's going to be a game I keep playing for a long time. I'm never going to get sick of just listening to the dialogue in this game. Who could possibly get sick of Claudia Black and Tim Curry delivering their lines to perfection?

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Renamedsin said:
Did you?
Why/ why not?
Should I get it or not?
And please, I say Please
NO Spoilers!

Just talk about things like
Is the story good?
did you enjoy the gameplay
was the game to short?
NO Ingamestory Information, if you can
Yes
I can't give you a single reason, the whole package ties together so well, the game "feels right" albeit a bit long
This game is a must for any RPG fan
The choices are the best part, I was genuinely torn between some of them, never experienced that in a game before.

I think the story is generic but excellent non the less, like Lord of the Rings, when you look it it, it's pretty generic fantasy, but amazing both in book (if you can stick out the writing style) and film.
I enjoyed the gameplay a lot, but I won't go beyond Normal difficulty, there's something about it, I don't want to pause and give everyone a action every 5 seconds, like a lot of people do, I just want to give them their tactics and live with it.
Short? only if you Flash^superman speed play the main story only.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
imahobbit4062 said:
Bioware has never done Melee combat well. This is no exception.
Really? I liked the Melee combat in Kotor, yet the combat systems where a bit shabby so... well It was alongside the rest of the combat

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
I was less than impressed. The ideas were good, the execution was terrible.

Not enough character development depth for an RPG.

"Easy" setting was easish, "Medium" was hard. There was no real middle ground.

This was the most bugged BioWare game I have ever played, with missing audio, glitches, crashes, and other issues plaguing it throught.

Content was apparently cut to be turned into DLC, which should have been on the disk.

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
Best RPG in years, it will help tide you over till ME2 which graphiclly is better looking and has more depth. Does have glitches and adiou that can sometimes just dissappear if you skip too much dialogue.

Worth a buy if you even remotelly enjoy RPGs.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
I have yet to try it, once I have a gaming rig capable of handling it I'll probably get it, though I may forget once I'm engrossed in gw2 and Empire total war.

(I hate my GeForce 7100!)

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
Did you?
Yes, very much so.
Why/ why not?
Not really the spiritual successor to BG2 like they said it would be, but still a great game with fleshed out characters and diverse ways to tackle situations.
Should I get it or not?
If you liked Mass Effect dialogwise, played Icewind Dale/Baldurs Gate/Planetscape: Torment or neverwinternights, liked KOTORS's combat or like well written (for a videogame) and fleshed out fantasy worlds that break some of the cliches; yes.
Either the Origins or (and I bet I am alone in this) the fade.