Did you like the Resistance series?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I just finished Resistance 3 and I must say, I hate the whole series. lol.

The story was asinine and poorly told and the gameplay was stale, linear and unsatisfying. I kept playing it hoping it would get better and it just never did. Kinda makes me sad, really. It had a lot of potential and in my opinion they fucked it up.

So what did you think of it? Good? Bad? Okay?

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
It's been a while since I played it but I though it was alright, the first was interesting had some fun guns and was a pretty good time, the second was meh they had a bigger budget so it was shinier but they also sort of "retconed" some of the more interesting parts of the first and the guns were more standard fare. And I haven't played the third heard it was more like the first in style but that's only what I've heard.

Jun 11, 2009
Jacco said:

The story was asinine and poorly told and the gameplay was stale, linear and unsatisfying. I kept playing it hoping it would get better and it just never did. Kinda makes me sad, really. It had a lot of potential and in my opinion they fucked it up.

You, me. Knife fight. Now.

Resistance: Fall of Man was great. Nonexistent plot, but it had actual level design and the best health system I've ever seen. Not to mention the brilliant fucking guns. Just, holy hell the guns. I don't care what anyone says, shooting a clip of bullets into the air where it functions as an auto-turret held aloft by its own recoil never gets old.

Resistance 2 was tripe. The less said about it, the better.

Resistance 3 was all the good stuff about the first game with a graphical upgrade, even better level design, pretty organic set pieces, and a wealth of enemies that all served a purpose (I'm looking at you, stupid giant Chimera thing from R2).

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can throw around linear as a negative here. They were very well structured (FoM and R3, anyway) and allowed for a LOT of freedom in gunfights. Half-Life is linear, too. Linearity isn't bad.

You know, honestly, I'm not going to get into this until you explain what you mean. What is stale? How is it unsatisfying? What made the story asinine?

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
I got into 2 by accident...

I was at the Best Buy to purchase a second controller for my PS3. Controllers on their own cost $40 (IIRC), but for that same price, I could get a bundle that came with a controller and a certain game. However, they paired each specific colour of controller with a certain game, so Infamous got Blue, LBP got White(I think...) and so on. The only game on offer that I didn't already have was Resistance 2, which came with the Red controller that I wanted, I decided to pick that up.

I played it for 3 hours, and got bored of it after that. That's all I can say. I can't even remember much about the damn game besides how bored I got. I'm just thankful I got the thing for free.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
The mutiplayer and co-op was fun at least. You just gotta avoid the campaign like its the plague.

DeathChairOfHell

Dec 31, 2009
Professor Lupin Madblood said:
Jacco said:

You, me. Knife fight. Now.

Resistance: Fall of Man was great. Nonexistent plot, but it had actual level design and the best health system I've ever seen. Not to mention the brilliant fucking guns. Just, holy hell the guns. I don't care what anyone says, shooting a clip of bullets into the air where it functions as an auto-turret held aloft by its own recoil never gets old.

Resistance 3 was all the good stuff about the first game with a graphical upgrade, even better level design, pretty organic set pieces, and a wealth of enemies that all served a purpose (I'm looking at you, stupid giant Chimera thing from R2).

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can throw around linear as a negative here. They were very well structured (FoM and R3, anyway) and allowed for a LOT of freedom in gunfights. Half-Life is linear, too. Linearity isn't bad.

You know, honestly, I'm not going to get into this until you explain what you mean. What is stale? How is it unsatisfying? What made the story asinine?
Yeah, you stated just about everything there was for me to say about the series, so that saves me some time.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well gameplay wise I only got 5 minutes on R1 and R3 because controllers and FPS... just no.
But from what I've seen over the shoulder these games seem to be a MMS and Half-Life split, so you are the great American soldier hero fighting Russian aliens, two weapon limit (if I remember correctly), color blind as usual, health system half regen half health pack, half the weapons dull as balls the other fancy alien stuff, super linear, half the cut scenes stilted the other half during gameplay,...

If it was on PC and the MMS parts could be modded out I would probably like it.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
two weapon limit (if I remember correctly)
You don't. R1 and R3 have no weapons limit, witch would be a real shame since the guns are all so awseome and imaginative. R2 had two weapons limt, but was generally more of an attempt to get to the CoD-Crowd.

So my short rundown:
R1: Pretty ugly "pseudo-next-gen graphics mostly of brown, grey and yellow, but cool gameplay with a nice old-scholl feeling to it (no two-weapons limit, helthpacks, enemy-projectils that you could and should actually dodge)
R2: Way more pretty, but gameplay more bland as well, as I said, an attampt to get to CoD's audiance.
R3: Combines the best of 1 and 2, has the pretty looks of two and the great gameplay of 1. Furthermore the story and its presentation is ok compared to other modern shooters.

Were the series really shine is the weapons. They are awesome and imo have a great feel to them. Personally, I think Resistance 3 is the best current gen shooter besides FarCry 3 (including 3rd-Person Shooters).

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
First two, dull semi uninspired FPS.
Third one is a slightly more inspired, but still dull game with a cool gun mechanic.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
The first one was shite. Had some okay weapons, but it was repetitive, the story was nonexistent, the gameplay was dull and it had the worst checkpoints I've ever seen. Also, the BROWNEST. GAME. EVER.

Two was worse somehow, it got rid of the interesting weapons, had all the same problems as the first (minus the checkpoints) while also being four hours long on hard, and the plot was just as barely there, except the few plot points it had were comprised entirely of "Hale continues to act like an idiot while inexplicably refusing to take five minutes to avoid turning into a monster". AND JUST AS BROWN.

After those two, it shouldn't be surprising that I never played the third.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I played the 3rd a while back. Great fun, showed a lot of design we need more of in modern shooters, but it wasn't flawless.

Trillovinum

Dec 15, 2010
Well the first one had the most interesting story and interesting weapons. The coop multiplyer in 2 was the best i've played in quite a while (at the time) but the story was very uninteresting. Then there's 3, which tries to bring back the good things from 1 but fails... all in all they're not bad games. Just not very good either. My advice, if you can get them cheaply, consider, otherwise don't bother.

Jun 11, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Well gameplay wise I only got 5 minutes on R1 and R3 because controllers and FPS... just no.
So, you sat down to play a PS3 game and gave up on it because you had to use a PS3 controller?

(if I remember correctly)

you are the great American soldier hero fighting Russian aliens, two weapon limit , color blind as usual, health system half regen half health pack, half the weapons dull as balls the other fancy alien stuff, super linear, half the cut scenes stilted the other half during gameplay,...
I don't think there was a single thing in that list that you remembered correctly.

If it was on PC and the MMS parts could be modded out I would probably like it.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does MMS mean here? I've been looking at your post for minutes and can't figure it out.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
I liked the games, but less so as the series progressed. The first game started out kind of dull, but by the end I wound up loving it.

The second game changed too much about what I liked in the first, and was more tedious at times. The third game was just boring.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
I've only played the first one and I found it very forgettable.
The guns were cool but everything else... just really uninspired.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
Orange12345 said:
It's been a while since I played it but I though it was alright, the first was interesting had some fun guns and was a pretty good time, the second was meh they had a bigger budget so it was shinier but they also sort of "retconed" some of the more interesting parts of the first and the guns were more standard fare. And I haven't played the third heard it was more like the first in style but that's only what I've heard.
This pretty much sums up my reaction to the series. The first was awesome, the second was bland and stale, and I haven't played the third yet.

Mullac

Oct 6, 2012
I've only played the 1st and 2nd and can't really think of anything particularly good or bad to say about them. They're pretty solid games, although the 2nd one's campaign is pretty crap, and gave me some enjoyment. I just don't think I have any reason or need to play them again.