Did you love FF9?

Vanaron

Apr 8, 2010
sheah1 said:
Hmm, I'm going on holiday soon, I'm taking my DS and this is on the PSN store, anyone think it's worth getting?
If you like JRPGs at all, yes!

OT: FF9 is my favorite FF game ever and only loses to Chrono Trigger as my favorite game of all time. The story is one of the best, and the "You're not alone" part remains to me as one of the most memorable moments in the history of Gaming.

So yeah, I kind like it.

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
9 was my favorite, mind, I only played 3,4,7, and 9, but still.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Maybe it's my fault for playing 10 before 9, but 9 was never really my favorite. It was okay, but it didn't really engage me.

I got up to the part with the elemental temples, got stuck, and then quit. And I've never really felt the urge to go back and finish it, either.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
FF9 is my favourite game of all time. Well, it's on par with Pokemon Blue and Zelda: Wind Waker but yeah it's fantastic in every regard. I love it so very very much

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
FF9 is one of the best installments, in this exact order:

5. FF6
4. FF5
3. FF2
2. FF9
1. FF10

-TOM

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
It's my favorite game of the series, I've never played 6 or 7 saw one of them played. Played 1 and 2 but I could never get the fire for the airship in 1. Should of checked the internet since this was only like 3-4 years ago. 10 is very ehh for what I played of it.
Every FF game I've ever played I've never gone full though for varying reasons but FFIX is by far my favorite. Freya, Vivi, Steiner, Zidane, Eiko, Garnet, Amarant.... not the other one though.

Love them all. I will beat FIX one day.

Raistlinhawke

Nov 28, 2009
I adored Final Fantasy IX, it was my favorite in the numbered series. I can see the art style being kind of off-putting, especially coming off of VIII. But that seems to be the only real complaint I can grasp from those that hate it.

For me, it was exactly as Sakaguchi stated, both a love letter to the franchise's past with some nifty new innovations for the future. I could have done without Steiner, but its a small complaint.

Plus....Vivi.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
FFIX was the last good FF, in my ever-so-humble opinion. Miles better than the installments immediately before and after it, and the setting is a lot more fun than VII's.

Vern5 said:
And do you hate those rabid Final Fantasy fans who look down on you for having that opinion?
Do they? Do they really?

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Final Fantasy 4 was my first.... played it didnt really cared about it, and went back to it last year to play and finish it... loved it
Final Fantasy 6 was amazing i liked it a lot;
Final Fantasy 7 was one of the first PsX games i saw, from a neightbour i had... the bastard never let me play on his console so me and another friend got the game some years later and played trough it... loved it :D
Final Fantasy 8 was Awesome... till i discovered in Disk 2 Squall was Dead all Along!!!
Final Fantasy 9 is still one of my favourites, mainly because of the steampunkish look it had... oh that and Vivi.. :D
Final Fantasy 10 was great, but its sequel was not :mad:
Final Fantasy 11... never played it... doesnt really look that great imo...
Final Fantasy 12 is kinda off a good game, but due to my hate of the main protagonist, i can never, and i never will enjoy that game...
Final Fantasy 13... is a movie basicly...
Final Fantasy 14... still too glitchy... but free :S

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Funny of you to ask.

I actually started replaying it on my ps3 just today, already 8 hours in, loving it so far. I remembered a ton but I also noticed new things that I didn't get 10 years ago.

Before today I'd have told you I like it a lot but nowhere near VIII or X or XIII or VII, now it stands closer to VII than it did and I'm optimistic. I just really enjoyed the initial part of it, it's funny and fairytale-ish but not in a bad way, at least not in the way I remembered it back in 1999-2000.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
I've only played one Final Fantasy game and that's 12, I tried playing 10-2 and couldn't get past the first level, the combat was too slow and having no prior exposure to the 3 leads, they just annoyed me.

But I played 12 all the way through, I enjoyed most of the characters, the setting, and the combat, its not my favorite game, or even my favorite RPG, but I would recommend it to people looking to get into the FF series, however it seems to get a lot of hate from the fans and I could never understand why.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nope, didn't like it at all. The gameplay felt like a blatant and unneeded throwback to the earlier games in the series, and the art style was horrendous. While I certainly do feel that some steps the series has taken as it has evolved haven't been positive ones, I still feel that if you want a game like FF4 or FF6 (my two favourites in the series) you should really just go play those instead.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I wouldn't say I loved it, but it's not terrible.

I ended up buying it on my PSP for something to do to keep me awake at work. It does what I ask of it.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I love it. It's my favorite. Zidane is my favorite protagonist. His relationship with Garnet was my favorite. Beatrix, Steiner, Vivi, and Fraya were all awesome. I loved the four player parties and the skill progression. The world was interesting and gorgeous and contained many references for FF players to enjoy. The only thing I didn't really like was the card game.

It was Square's farewell to their old way of making FF games, and I found it fitting.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
FF9 touched me in a very special way... which is why it is now in jail.

I seriously loved the story and characters of FF9, they genuinely made me care about them, and even though i HATE turn-based combat, the story kept me playing right up until the guy who's copy of the game I borrowed demanded it back.

If TL;DR - I agree with OP.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
mireko said:
FFIX was the last good FF, in my ever-so-humble opinion.
I would go with that. It's my joint-favourite of the series, along with FF8. I really can't choose between them. It's also, according to the creator, the closest to his original vision for the series.

Blondi3

Sep 12, 2008
I liked 7 the best. 9 second best. 10 was third (imo this was the beginning of the end.) I HATED 8. The earlier ones were alright. Nothing after 10 is worth mentioning.