Did you lurk before joining The Escapist?

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I came from Loading ready run's website.

I joined because of some of the really idiotic things that people can say (myself included) about religion and politics.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Yes, I lurked for about a year. Forums were a new concept to me, so I wanted to get a better sense of the site so I wouldn't fuck up. Sadly, I've still had fuck ups when I was new, but I learned from them. Lurking doesn't help learning, that's what I've learned.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Yeah for two reasons. One, just watched videos then decided to join the forums, and two, firefox saved my email for the username instead of my username and I realized why it wouldn't let me login months later... >_>

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I lurked for qquite a while. I first came around just for ZP, then started visiting the recent threads, then decided to post.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Oh yeah, totally, I started posting one or two comments on Zero Punctuation and eventually went over to the Gaming Discussion board, and the rest is history.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Yes, I did. About a year, maybe longer. Though my current posting behavior could be probably called lurking too, if you were to compare my post count to the amount of time I spend on this site.

.rachel.

Neyiea
Mar 20, 2010
I lurked around for a while just watching videos and reading articles before I figured I may as well join. I'm still a bit of a lurker though.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
If by lurking, you actually mean lurking on the forums, as opposed to just reading the articles and watching the videos, then I can't understand why people do that "for years".
I mean, doesn't it get painfully boring? I can't go around a forum without having the possibility of replying to something (and to someone).

Except on forums that I visit through Google to get an answer to some question (and answer) about a problem I have.

Narclaw

Birchmen Supreme Overlord
Aug 29, 2010
Nah. I did watch ZP for quite a while before joining, though I never browsed the forums.

Van Miranda

Jun 6, 2010
It was actually 2 years ago that I discovered this site after watch G4's Xplay ran a little pre-view of Yathzee's ZP (when he was first starting out). Then 2 years later, after ZP I decided to look around the other Escapist shows and decided that I like this place so much I might just as well join.

Claptrap

Nov 18, 2009
Yup, I lurked for about 5-6 months, I would read a thread, Go back to home and read another, Never really wanted to post but at some point there was something that made me want to post i guess.

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
I have checked out vids and articles for about 2 years now.

no real lurking, because the forums seemed so huge and the community so vast the effort involved to read the great volume of posts would be a bit much for my effort/reward meter (or erm).

i actually started lurking after i signed up. i took the plunge because i would occasionally read the comments on vids and articles and see badges for "has watched X Y times." i figured i had been doing the same thing, but with no external reward. so i jumped on board. oh and for the giveaways.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Yes, for quite a bit.

After I joined, I forgot about the Escapist before stumbling upon it again and finally started posting. After that first post I started doing it more often.