Did you watch any animes as a kid...

sharinganblossom25

Jan 2, 2011
Sailor Moon
Dragon Ball Z
Inuyasha for a while there.
Avatar the Last Airbender-- AMAZING. Legend of Korra has yet to live up to its predecessor.
Naruto. Though back in the day, I watched it in English. Now, I've learned. xD

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
Yes, but at the time I didn't know they where anime and wouldn't for probably well over a decade. I watched MCoG, Ulysses, Dogtanian and the three Muskerhounds and Wily Fog. All great shows and some like Cities of Gold are still watchable unlike the other stalwarts fo my youth like He-man.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Chemical Alia said:
Yeah, I watched Maya the Bee and The Noozles. I didn't know what anime was, but I could tell at the age of 7 or 8 that they were of a really low production value and the relatively low framerate and bad voice acting compared to the the children's shows I watched confused me a little. I also didn't know David the Gnome was from Spain. What I find kinda interesting about these two cartoons is that neither of them looked too overtly anime-ish and not really annoying at all.
You got the Maya the Bee and David the Gnome cartoons over in America?

I thought those shows were strictly tied to Europe. I think I remember most of the Japanese animated kids shows from the 70's and 80's were released outside of America except maybe for Maple Town, The Moomins, and everything Saban got his hands on. Which was actually a lot now that I think about it.
Yeah, they were on a particular block of programming on Nick Jr. back when I was little, so probably in the late 80s and early 90s. They were on with Eureka's Castle, The Elephant Show, The Little Koala, and a few others.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
sailor moon, robotech, dragon ball z, and ronin warriors were on every morning while I was in elementary school and didn't know what anime was. My ignorance didn't last long as I quickly discovered saturday anime on the sci-fi channel and fell in love with the art. Still a fan despite the massive drop in substance since the bubble burst a few years back.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I didn't watch anything regularly, neither anime or western cartoons, because of the times I got home from school and the fact that I was only allowed TV control during the 'kids TV' times on the terrestrial channels (i.e. 3.30pm to 5pm). So my time was usually spent watching Cow and Chicken or Dexter's Lab or Powerpuff Girls on Cartoon Network.

That being said, I did love it when I occasionally caught episodes of the anime I used to love, but it was years later before I realised they were actually anime. I used to watch Pokemon (of course), Yu-Gi-Oh!, Sonic X, Code Lyoko (a French 'anime'), and the odd episode of Dragonball Z. Later on I also saw the odd episode of Megaman NT Warrior, and very rarely Digimon episodes too.

Now that I know they're all anime though, I do actually watch them more often despite the 'kiddie' target audience, purely for the nostalgia, and also so I can actually understand what's going on in those odd episodes I saw. Currently rewatching Pokemon (near the start of the Johto episodes and the third movie so far), Yu-Gi-Oh!(currently up to the midpoint of GX's second season), and Megaman NT Warrior (fostered by the fact I've been replaying the whole Battle Network series in order from scratch :p).

DragonLordSerge

Mar 13, 2012
when i was i kid i watched astro boy, knights of the zodiac, mazinger Z, Dr.Slump and some soccer anime that it was called super campeones in mexico

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
... I was introduced to the line "I've seen enough hentai..." and an earily age... so looking back at the road that lead to that... Salor moon, Dragon ball Z, Pokemon, Digimon, Ghost in the shell and Akira stand out... then came the dark times

Bealzibob

Jul 4, 2009
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Studio Ghibli stuff

The morning cartoon animes I mostly avoided bar for Pokemon and digimon but i still wasn't head over heels for them.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Dragonball Z, holy fucking yes.

Other than that and Pokemon, I mostly watched American/Canadian cartoons during my younger childhood. During high school I watched a bit of Naruto for awhile and then became massively obsessed with Fullmetal Alchemist, and these all are now pretty much my favorite shows outside of the other nostalgic American shows like Courage the Cowardly Dog.

Oh, and Zoids. I fucking loved Zoids. But only one of the Zoids series, the other ones I hated.

ThePenguinKnight

Mar 30, 2012
Cowboy Bebop, Dragonball Z, and Yu Yu Hakusho are what I remember the most. I avoided Pokemon and Yugioh because I felt they were corny, still do.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Only Pokemon. In fact, I think that's still the only anime I have seen more than two episodes of!

Cartoons I was a big fan of as a kid were things like Spiderman and Gargoyles. Pokemon was alright (I mostly watched it because I loved the game) but things like Dragon Ball Z and Beyblades just never interested me.

EDIT: I tell a lie. I've also seen that Devil May Cry anime series they did. So I guess the pattern is that I can only watch more than a couple of episodes of an anime if it's based on a video game I like!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
I couldn't for the life of me ever understand what the hell was going on in this show however. Not at the age of 8 or 9 anyway.
To be fair I don't think anyone knew what was going on, was an awesome theme tune though :D

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
GundamSentinel said:
Don't forget Dommel, another anime based on a none-Japanese property. In all three of these cases the animation is very much Japanese, but a lot of the concept and character design and story supervision is Dutch/Belgium, I think.

And from what I've seen the animation in Alfred J. Kwak is very similar to that in The Moomins. The scripts and storyboards for both shows were done by the same Japanese guy.
Ah yes, Moomins looked familiar... And how could I forget about Dommel!

Melancholy ducks, sadistic cows and sarcastic dogs; why don't kids these days get awesome cartoons anymore? Studio 100 can burn to the ground, for all I care.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Sean Hollyman said:
Daystar Clarion said:

Dragon dragon rawk the dragon!

[HEADING=1]Dragon Bawwwwwwl zee![/HEADING]

It's not the best anime ever, but it's the best anime any kid could ever watch :D
Agreed, the other theme song to that show didn't quite cut it :/

Yeah, that one blows.

Hmm, getting a massive sense of deja vu. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.373125-Poll-Best-English-Anime-Opening?page=1]
Screw you guys, that opening was awesome 8c
*Canadian. Grew up with that one.* I prefer it because it's just... oh god it's more intense and felt more like wrestlers going at it. Which was... preeeeetty much what that show was. If wrestlers could weild magic and fly.

My childhood..... ;;

OT: Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon, Inuyasha once I hit junior high...
Edit: SHIT how could I forget about Samurai Pizza Cats?! It was like, my first one XD

Aug 10, 2009
I've watched Digimon, pokemon, Medabots, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Beyblade, Gundam wing (sometimes), Gundam Seed, Inuyasha, Bleach, Naruto, and Trigun. All are awesome shows!