"didn't see that one coming"

steampunk42

Nov 18, 2009
we are now living in an age of gaming where developers are trying (and sometimes succeeding) at making story line plot twists that surprise us. unfortunately a large percentage of these plot twists often can be seen and figured out many levels before they actually take place. basically what is your favorite plot twist you have even seen and what plot twist was so cliche that it almost ruined the game for you?

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
The biggest surprise this gaming generation for me had to be when

You convince Saren to commit suicide near the end of the game

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The plot twist in MGS when Master Miller reveals his true identity. That was a good one.

TheyTookOurJobs

Dec 22, 2009
B Carmine was a nice suprise. I know it had been annonced, but I did'nt know that at the time.

The ending of No More Heroes is also pretty damn epic.

I believe it was Yatzee who recently hilighted the 'good guy commander is bad guy twist' which is ridiculously overused.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Well I certainly didn't expect:
Nihlus to die in the first ten minutes of the game by Saren. I knew he would as soon as he spoke to him, but I wasn't expecting such a quick exit overall.

I didn't think Eleanor Lamb was going to be good, I half expected her to be luring you in for her mother, or to be some kind of monster-like thing in the end. I guess that would have made it too similar to the first.

Tai commiting suicide.
Carmine getting killed.
Dom killing Maria.

Someone on the Gears forums who had gotten hold of an illegal copy announced this prior to release. I assumed he was messing with us because no way would they be that stupid.

Librarian Mike

May 16, 2008
One of my favorites is the big twist in Final Fantasy 6, in which Kefka reveals his plan to destroy the world...and then carries it out.

Kilaknux

Jun 16, 2009
Iwata said:
I'll ninja everyone and just say this: Darth Revan.
Damn you.
That just came completely out of left field. I remember thinking "...No, he's fucking with me. That ain't true. Really?"

EBass

Nov 17, 2009
I didn't expect the Babalonians to declare unrestricted nuclear warfare on me in Civ4.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Kilaknux said:
Iwata said:
I'll ninja everyone and just say this: Darth Revan.
Damn you.
That just came completely out of left field. I remember thinking "...No, he's fucking with me. That ain't true. Really?"
I literaly stood up and started laughing.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
Bioshock's was a masterpiece, the way it completely changed the story, which had been pretty uneventful so far, was superb.

breadlord

Apr 21, 2009
Well everyone should know this one.
Eli dies. I mean, how could they kill off a main character.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
The first time I started up SPOILERS COMETH, BUT THIS WHOLE THREAD IS ABOUT THEM, SO DON'T WHINE WOULD YOU KINDLY I'M YOUR FATHER?

Knights of the Old Republic and heard the name Revan sith lord dude, and heard Bastila say "you" and "force" in the same sentence, a huge motherfucking lightbulb clicked in my head. And I was right, so that wasn't exactly unexpected.

The I am your father moment in Bioshock, however, was.
I also did not expect the second installment to have an ending that would actually make me feel sad. Like, ):

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
Second Sight's plot twist:

Where you find out your visions of the past were actually visions of the future and you are currently living in what you think is the past.

Psychic mindfucks for the win.