"Diet, Lite" are Four-Letter Words

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
'Eat a balanced diet in moderation blah'. Easier said than done.

And where are people getting their information about Diet being worse for you than regular???

Thespian said:
Diet coke is more addictive than regular, as far as I know.

Wait, that's not sensationalist enough. Diet coke is more addictive than tobacco, and more cancerous than DEATH!
...I'm screwed, ha.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
StBishop said:
EDIT: To head of any "HYPERBOLE!" accusations, he drinks about 10 or so cans a day, I drink 1 a year or so.
So he's still not drinking enough in a single day to match a single can of regular soda?
I don't know. It's still pretty fucking bad.

Drinking that much of anything other than water isn't good for you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
StBishop said:

Ah. So now we're shifting the goalposts. Okay.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
'Eat a balanced diet in moderation blah'. Easier said than done.

And where are people getting their information about Diet being worse for you than regular???
It is harder, and that's part of my point. If the market is just as saturated with "Diet" alternative as regular junk food, and people are scarfing both down in equal measure, why aren't we seeing broader results?

I wonder how long it will be before some lawyer gets it in his head to start a class action lawsuit because his clients haven't gotten skinny sticking to "Diet" foods. They're already getting set to sue Ronald McDonald out of his big baggy clown pants because his obviously greasy fast food turns us into amorphous blobs, we might as well sue the people that are actually lying to us.

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
I can understand the need for healthier versions of crappy food, to an extent (not going to restate what has already been said 50 times in this thread), but if we really want to see people get healthier, why not make healthy food more affordable? I'm poor. I can buy 10 frozen pizzas for a dollar each. That's lunch and dinner for five days. Or, I can buy enough fruit and vegetables and chicken to feed me for two days, for the same amount of money. If it feeds me for two days.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
StBishop said:

Ah. So now we're shifting the goalposts. Okay.
Not so much, I was just tired at the time and had forgotten the original point I'd made and couldn't be fucked looking for the original post.

I will have a look now and edit in a more appropriate response.

EDIT: Yeah, so he's essentially having one can of coke every 10 days as far as calories goes, but it's surely doing damage to him in ways other than widening his belt.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Vicarious Reality said:
All i know is that when i eat artificial sweeteners i get seriously ill, mostly in the head
I know I start to feel kind of ill if I put aspartame in anything, like coffee. Not to mention how awful the stuff tastes. It's like... "plastic" sugar. Somehow.

Like potassium salt-substitute. I had a dietitian flat-out tell me that was bad with a capital B for me.

Metaphysic

Jul 1, 2011
I had a mountain dew for the first time in a very, very long time today (first soda I've had in months) and I feel ill... definitely gonna stay away from it in the future.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
dave1004 said:
I just stick to my diet of water and coffee. You can keep the sugar and chemical laden drinks to yourself,
Funny, since coffee contains loads of Acrylamide

http://jifsan.umd.edu/docs/acry2004/acry_2004_dinovihoward.pdf