Difficulty spikes!

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Uplink and the XCOM games, especially Apocalypse. Old, I know. It's hard to pin down exactly WHEN they become ludicrously difficult, but it's always quite sudden. Well, for Uplink, it's not impossible as much as suddenly irritating/no longer fun.

Enos

Oct 22, 2009
For me it was the fight with the cerberus in the first God of War. I just couldn't beat that thing until i dumbed down the difficulty to the lowest level. Needless to say that the game got far too easy after that...

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
zala-taichou said:
The first Homeworld had something similar with the Kadeshi. Damn, those bastards were tough and annoying, but hijacking all their multibeam frigates is so rewarding.
"This is the garden of Kadesh..."

"Yes yes, I know it is. Now hand over the multibeams, I've got a Taiidan Empire to crush and I really don't have the time to waste on your religious claptrap."

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Twad said:
Oblivion; once you reach lvl 20 and arent using magic heavily (aka if you are going rogue or warrior). Its a spike that goes up to infinity.
I'm on my 5th playthrough at the moment and doing the mind numbing grind in order to get +5 on 3 attributes every level... just so I don't get mangled by bloody goblins when I hit level 20.

Twad said:
FEAR2 - the game is ridiculously easy (on hard) except in an underground train near the end where ennemies spawn all over the place and flank you all the time. Only beated it by getting betweenthe two wagons i had access to.. and the AI just.. stopped caring about me. Once thsi was done we immediatly go into a room saturated with snipers and little cover.
I totally agree with this too... that train was very hard compared to the rest of the game, I ended up using my entire sniper rifle, rocket ammo and grenade stash on that segment and still died bunch of times.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Aleate said:
Alma. Nuff said.
Which part? In the first or second game? I don't remember her being too tough?
The first time you fight her in the first Ninja Gaiden. I dare you to beat her without using Flying Swallow. She can knock out half your hp with an unblockable, near undodgeable attack, and can throw pillars that can juggle you for, yet again, half your hp. Oh, and she is the 4th boss in the game I believe.

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Chaos; the final boss in Dissidia Final Fantasy. The story mode was sunshine and rainbows until this guy showed up. Stayed up all night trying to beat the cheap bastard and I failed miserably on every single attempt. UUGGHHH.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Aleate said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Aleate said:
Alma. Nuff said.
The first time you fight her in the first Ninja Gaiden. I dare you to beat her without using Flying Swallow. She can knock out half your hp with an unblockable, near undodgeable attack, and can throw pillars that can juggle you for, yet again, half your hp. Oh, and she is the 4th boss in the game I believe.
Aaaaah I see. I thought you meant Alma from F.E.A.R. :D

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
I'm currently running through Mass Effect 2 on Insanity. Some battles are way harder than others.
Once you get past Horizon and the first Collector ship you'll be fine, those 2 are the hardest by far. Oh and Tali's recruitment is pretty tough at the end.

Aleate

Mar 24, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Aleate said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Aleate said:
Alma. Nuff said.
Aaaaah I see. I thought you meant Alma from F.E.A.R. :D
Ahhh... I can see why you would be confused XD. Alma in F.E.A.R. was easy though. I killed her in the end of the first game with a crotch shot >_>

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
I'm a fan of tracing difficulty spikes in games.

In Modern Warfare 2, their method of increasing the difficulty, temporarily, was eliminating electronic equipment. Works well with the story.

In BioShock 2, the difficulty... tanks. With the Big Sister Plasmid, you'll be begging to fire your weapons, rather than beggin for ammo.

Meanwhile, many difficulty spikes tend to suck as they're basically "Introduce new enemy" or "bump up old enemy's health".

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I love it when games ratchet up the difficulty just for the last level/mission/boss. It makes the game feel so worth it and it really doesn't sour the experience at all. I mean, I love having to quit some games since I can't beat the last level at all. It's so great! And I'm totally not being sarcastic at all.

Why do some developers insist on this? All it is is frustrating. If I set the difficulty to medium, I think it should be medium through the whole game, not uber-insane-werewolf on the last mission.

I'm playing the last mission on Mafia II. Without going into spoilers, you have to face a literal army of bads without any health items on the way. The autosaves, and there are only autosaves, are spaced out once every three firefights. That means that if you die on the last guy at the end of the third firefight, you have to subject yourself to the same agonizing torture to get to the last one again. And it's hardly possible to "play it smart" when the enemy rushes you with three guys carrying shotguns and Thompsons.

It was like this in the original Mafia, too. The last boss had a ridiculous amount of health and was surrounded by a billion mobsters as well.

I don't get it. The rest of the game had a medium difficulty, just like the word "medium" implied when I selected it on the start. Now it's stupid hard. I'll be able to beat it eventually, through sheer will, luck, and determination, but I picked medium for a reason and that is to play the game on medium. I'm just repeating myself now.

Of course, there are other extremes like in Bioshock where the last boss was easier than facing down three Big Daddies at once.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Most recent one I encountered was in Alpha Protocol.Everything was going well until I came up against the Russian mob boss Brakov(not sure about the spelling).Guy soaks up ridiculous amounts of bullets and grenades despite just being a regular unarmoured human being.Seriously shooting the guy point blank in the head has almost no effect on his health.If he hits you with his knife attack it takes about 1 third of your health no matter what kind of body armour you're wearing.He handed me my ass multiple times before I beat him

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Of all the many, many... many.. Games I've played, Dragon Age: Origins stands out as one that has bad difficulty spikes. From boringly easy to stupidly hard.

Running into those Revenants at a low level sucked. That and I hate potion chugging mechanics in games.

World of WarCraft kinda does it too.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Once you get past Horizon and the first Collector ship you'll be fine, those 2 are the hardest by far. Oh and Tali's recruitment is pretty tough at the end.
Thanks for the advice.

I was one of the few people to find COD:WAW on Veteran pretty simple and easy. I should be fine.

I'm just worried about Scions. They were a ***** on the first play.
Yeah those guys are the worst.... remember if you're behind high cover and out of thier line of sight they won't grounp pound you, low cover is useless against em.

Oh, and kite the husks!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
x434343 said:
I'm a fan of tracing difficulty spikes in games.

In Modern Warfare 2, their method of increasing the difficulty, temporarily, was eliminating electronic equipment. Works well with the story.
That was clever, but thier other difficulty spiking method... the dreaded timer... was not fun at all.