Digga', Please

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Good point. Has anyone addressed the horrifying racism in this game before now? Jeez everyone's just been focussed on the huge, bouncing, barely-covered, hypnotising.. -sorry- breasts.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
I don't get it. I haven't played the game but isn't the dwarf another warrior and the elf the typical... dunno... ranged warrior, or rogue?
Teoes said:
Good point. Has anyone addressed the horrifying racism in this game before now?
Enlighten me. Why is it racist? Because it can't be the dwarf who is doing magic?

Edit: Ok, got it. Thanks all ^^

size15boot

Nov 27, 2009
hazydawn said:
I don't get it. I haven't played the game but isn't the dwarf another warrior and the elf the typical... dunno... ranged warrior, or rogue?
Teoes said:
Enlighten me. Why is it racist? Because it can't be the dwarf who is doing magic?
Dude, it's because the rest of the characters are identified by their profession, not their race.

Bolt-206

Dec 6, 2010
hazydawn said:
Teoes said:
It'd probably be Racist by how their not defined by their specialization/class (which would probably be Berserker & Ranger) like the other classes (who are all human), but are instead defined by their race.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Does anyone else find the fighters absurdly small head hilarious? It looks like a furry pea atop a boulder.

I think some people are going to miss the joke, as well as the racism-fest that is most fantasy.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
hazydawn said:
Teoes said:
I think its a joke to the fact that they call the fighter a fighter, the wizard and sorceress are both called respectively, but the Elf and Dwarf are called by their race. Though Im curious as to why the amazon isnt there either...

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
size15boot said:
hazydawn said:
Teoes said:
Dude, it's because the rest of the characters are identified by their profession, not their race.
Exactly.

They should be called The Archer and The Berserker. But instead they went racist.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Would the amazon being called "the Amazon" be racist? She's not another race in the sense the Elf and Dwarf are, but she's still just named after her Ethnicity...

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Angelous Wang said:
They should be called The Archer and The Berserker.
I thought the Amazon was the Berserker.
I think it's like this:
Dwarf - Amazon - melee Barbarian class
Wizard - Sorceress - Mage class
Fighter - Elf -> melee/tank - ranged/dps just a touch of opposites instead of similarities.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Heh, that old thing. But yeah, bit half-arsed, do dwarfs all have the same job? Elves?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Eleuthera said:
Would the amazon being called "the Amazon" be racist? She's not another race in the sense the Elf and Dwarf are, but she's still just named after her Ethnicity...
No. Race is biological subset, ethnicity is a cultural subset. Not the same thing.

Example: Race - Caucasian
Ethnicities - Irish, Welsh, German, French, Slovak, etc.

OT: I see what you did there. Good form sirs. keep up the good work.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Isn't it obvious? They do... elf-y and dwarf-y things.

What else can you expect from elves and dwarves?

...and Amazons?

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Yeah the Warrior does have an absurdly small head, and of course the Dwarf is about 3x as wide as he his tall.

In fact only the wizard and elf are in any way realistic in body shape, and the Elf is the only girl who wears a proper outfit too.

As far as I can tell the Dwarf is yet another fighter as is Amazon. And the elf is the stereotypical ranged bow-using type.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Eleuthera said:
Depends on the world.

In certain things I've seen amazon used as class/job role and not an ethnicity. Whilst in other things amazon is an Ethnicity and not a class.

Though if they were using it as an Ethnicity technically it should be The Amazonian.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
It's less of a racism issue than it is a Tolkien-induced prejudice issue.
Still, interesting point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Teoes said:
This game? Probably not. The genre in general? Just about everyone who's ever commented on it.