DigiBro's "Asterisk War Sucks" series is finally finished

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
After three months the saga has come to an end, Digibro has finished his 13 part video series analysing and braking down Asterisk War in a deconstruction that shows why every single part of it seems to have failed so completly that outside of a few character designs there is really nothing positive that can be said for the show.

This series was one I quite enjoyed watching, mainly because I love the over-analysing that is typical of he and people like him (such as YourMovieSucks and RedLetterMedia) to explain how and why a piece of media failed so utterly that it almost defies comprehension that something like it could manage to get through the layers of people in a production studio and turn out as a complete product.

It's actually a thing of beauty to see someone intellectually brake it down, much more so then the series itself is to watch and it has a similar length as an added bonus.

This type of academic brakdown of videos is something I'm glad to see becoming more and more the norm on YouTube. Everyone I've seen doing it always mentions RedLetterMedia at some point as an inspiration for it, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was influenced in the way I watch movies and shows by those guys.

What do you guys think of the series, both the show itself and the analytical review/breakdown of it? I honestly can't stand series like Asterisk War because it's just got nothing to catch my attention. Everything it has that could catch my attention for any reason it either doesn't have in enough quantities to keep me or do anything interesting enough for me to want to keep watching. Which is probably why I dropped it after a single episode when it first started. If asked I probably couldn't have put it to words other then "it's boring" for why, so I salute DigiBro for managing to actually go through it all and brake the whole thing down to its most basic components.

Smygskytt

May 18, 2015
Wait a second. Spoilers under spoilers? My mind is blown. The horror. The horror.

As for the videos, I think he loses focus and spends too much time on meaningless tangents. Like he decided that he needed 13 episodes and then padded the content accordingly.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Smygskytt said:
Wait a second. Spoilers under spoilers? My mind is blown. The horror. The horror.
Oh it gets worst.
This is literally how deep it goes

As for the videos, I think he loses focus and spends too much time on meaningless tangents. Like he decided that he needed 13 episodes and then padded the content accordingly.
I don't know, while I felt he did go on a few tangents it rarely didn't have worth in being a part of the video and while I'd probably have trimmed about 10 to 15 minutes off of the whole thing when you get down to it that seems to stem more from the fact that by the time the analysis got half way through the series had ended while when it started only 7 episodes had aired.

Dave's re-editing it into a single video from what I hear, so it's likely going to have some of that fat trimmed off.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I watched the whole thing and started supporting him partially because of this video series. Let me tell you, if I thought that the author of Asterisk Wars cared about the quality of his writing, if he watched this, he would actually kill himself. I don't mean that as a joke or anything, I'm completely serious. It's not every day that something is so bad on so many levels that someone decides to take time out of their day to examine everything from its general concept to the most abstract and minute of details and tell everyone exactly what makes all of it so completely irredeemable. I've never seen someone hate something to completely that they write an entire book not only about everything that is wrong with it, but also talk about something that is better in every way compared to it. Like, it's brutal, and if the author ever saw this video series and gave a crap, he would lose all hope and kill himself. Lord knows that if I wrote something so bad that there was nothing salvageable in it I would give up on everything.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It was okay. It wasn't the best analysis of a work I've seen, but it was enjoyable enough, mostly. It was pretty bloated, though. He spent a lot of time repeating himself more than was necessary or going off on tangents. If he had been more organized in his writing and been more parsimonious in editing, the final run time could probably have been cut down by a quarter, if not half.

I don't agree with the ending either. There are just too many bloody anime for any one person to watch. You need to be discriminating in your choices. If every show worked harder to be good it would only raise the standard across the board, the bottom would still be the bottom and would get rated appropriately, even if it's better than the bottom from 10 years ago. I mean, if you compare The Asterisk War to some of the worst junk to come out in the 90's; as bad as Asterisk War was, it's a masterpiece compared to Garzey's Wing! Numbered scores are pretty worthless anyway.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Ryallen said:
I think it's safe to say the author of Asterisk War doesn't care about the quality of his story, and made it so paint-by-numbers that it's actually breathtaking to behold just how bad and generic the end result it. I mean by god, there is literally no way anything more then the minimum level of effort was used in the making of this story. Even the shitty fanfiction that I read (and write. Hey at least I'm honest about it) is miles better at world building and characterization, and that's stuff people write in their free time for no money.

I mean jesus, I can understand why Digi retroactively bumped SAO up to a 1.5 instead of a 1. This somehow manages to be worst.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
It took 12 episodes of this to realize I was mixing Asterisk War with Chivalry of a Failed Knight

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Risingblade said:
It took 12 episodes of this to realize I was mixing Asterisk War with Chivalry of a Failed Knight
Wait it took until he literally started comparing them directly for you to notice? I mean sure, both are basically the same story, but the art style is pretty different (and by that I mean Failed Knight isn't anywhere as bland)

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Zontar said:
Risingblade said:
Wait it took until he literally started comparing them directly for you to notice? I mean sure, both are basically the same story, but the art style is pretty different (and by that I mean Failed Knight isn't anywhere as bland)
Well I only watched the first few minutes of CHivalry and I hadn't actually seen Asterisk War.