Digital Download Pricing Is Wonky, Says Valve

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Tron-tonian said:
My biggest problem with their pricing is the lack of conversion for those in a different country.

Here in Canada, the price for COD:MW2 is $59.99 Cdn. You get the box, the DVDs, the whole package.
On Steam: $59.99 US.

You'd better believe I find that wonky. If it was $49.99 US, or $59.99 Cdn, I'd consider it. But that $60 US is easily $70 Cdn. by the time exchange and CC fees are worked into it.
Exchanging currency is tricksy, especially over the internets, in the large quantities their talking. It's probably simpler for them to just set their price in US dollars.

Least they aren't charging points.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Mmm, Steam weekend deals are good. I've only bought games on steam that were new releases or on special. I really wanna know though, how many Australians bought MW2 over steam for $89.99USD?

Quick Ben

Oct 27, 2008
Yeah, I love weekend deals on Steam. But it's actually good that they don't have more of them, because if they did I'd end up buying more games than I have time for...

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
Valve experiments with its games by having sales to boost their revenue. Activision on the other hand are experimenting with charging you more and never lowering the price to boost their sales.

gxs

Apr 16, 2009
I like the different discounts but I hate the conversion rate.
1&#8364; = 1$ that's just not fair. So I pay extra for the game just because I use a different currency.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Valve? Talking about DISCOUNTS?

Excuse me, but 60 EUR for MW2 is a joke. A sick, sick joke.

At least some distributors remember about the gamers of Europe (Runic, for instance) and makes sure that the prices don't get 1 EUR = 1 USD treatment.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I cant help but agree, allot is saved on their part without the need for shipping or separate game advertisement. Well I do like the deals and the pricing cant really be complained about at some times but I thought that steams premise from the beginning was to provide an inexpensive and convenient alternative for pc gamers.

accountdeletethis

Stand-up philosopher
Sep 10, 2008
Quick Ben said:
Yeah, I love weekend deals on Steam. But it's actually good that they don't have more of them, because if they did I'd end up buying more games than I have time for...
Agreed. The Witcher and Mass Effect deals have effectively bled me dry.
(And then they had the Crysis 50% offer and I couldn't afford it, woe is me, lol)

Doctor Panda

Apr 17, 2008
As a gamer who only occasionally gets things at release date, it's been absolutely fantastic for me. All these games that I think "i should get around to playing that some time" eventually get released on weekend deals and I give them a go for the price of a cafe lunch in Perth. Not to mention I grew up with a mac, so I'm rather used to indie games - just bought AAAAAAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaah today as part of their midweek madness.

Plus as an Australian, there's the additional advantage that most new games are cheaper on steam. Seriously, up to $120 for a new priced game here, 90-100 being the norm. No thanks. Of course, i was buying off playasia long before i got into steam.

I think valve would be particularly pleased about weekend deals for a completely different reason however - it *draws* people to steam. I never even considered it until one of my friends grabbed me and said "orange box half-price. fucking buy it now so i can play tf2 with you". One year later and i've sunk a couple of hundred into the store, and not regretting it one bit. I can't be the only one...