Digital Homicide trying to sue Steam users

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
The Artificially Prolonged said:
If these guys spent half the effort they put into suing people into making games, their games would likely not be as shit and probably would not be universally panned.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Their lawsuits are as frivolous and ill-advised as the interactive monstrosities they once tried to peddle on Steam.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
If these guys spent half the effort they put into suing people into making games, their games would likely not be as shit and probably would not be universally panned.
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Their lawsuits are as frivolous and ill-advised as the interactive monstrosities they once tried to peddle on Steam.
You are probably right. But to be fair I did say not as shit :p

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
Jim Sterling is going to lick his lips from this... I can't wait. I just can't wait XD

He'll throw one big bonanza for us all, and then...leave it alone until it comes up again.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Ten Foot Bunny said:
And an expert caveat that was! Do you work in video game PR by any chance? ;)

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Ten Foot Bunny said:
And an expert caveat that was! Do you work in video game PR by any chance? ;)
No, I still have too much of a soul for PR work. I would have thought being able to stand direct sunlight would be a positive, but apparently not. Though if I get to yell at game devs Malcolm Tucker style for PR blunders then I'd make the career move in a heart beat :p

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Trying to sue anon XD

This is too good.

I heard they subpoena'd Valve to reveal the names of the mean commenters. Valve responded by removing their games from the store! This is the best! Finally, Valve did something about them. It only took a lawsuit for them to do it XD .

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Anyone else think they're just trying to commit THEIR OWN NAME on themselves now?

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Well, that's just...I mean, this is just dumb.

This is just really, really, dumb.

The lawsuits won't get anywhere. The best they could have hoped for was a quick, small settlement payout to make the whole thing go away, but Valve basically called their bluff by removing their catalogue from Steam; I expect the company will now fold in on itself like soggy origami.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Jim Sterling is going to lick his lips from this... I can't wait. I just can't wait XD

He'll throw one big bonanza for us all, and then...leave it alone until it comes up again.
I look forward to the day that video comes, it's going to be enjoyable. Although I'm not sure Jim will talk about DH again after the lawsuit is over, with them being banned from Steam, it looks like they'll finished. All the judge needs to do is look at the shit they tried to pull on Steam, with a little persuading from Jim's lawyer as well, and that lawsuit is as good as dropped. Hopefully anyway.

Although it's ironic, despite DH's claims that Jim was ruining their business and with Jim not being allowed to mention DH for legal reasons, they done a pretty good job of doing it themselves.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Kitsune Hunter said:
FalloutJack said:
Caramel Frappe said:

I look forward to the day that video comes, it's going to be enjoyable. Although I'm not sure Jim will talk about DH again after the lawsuit is over, with them being banned from Steam, it looks like they'll finished. All the judge needs to do is look at the shit they tried to pull on Steam, with a little persuading from Jim's lawyer as well, and that lawsuit is as good as dropped. Hopefully anyway.

Although it's ironic, despite DH's claims that Jim was ruining their business and with Jim not being allowed to mention DH for legal reasons, they done a pretty good job of doing it themselves.
Oh, I didn't mean like news. I meant like if he found anyone particularly like them, he'd draw the parallel.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
https://www.yahoo.com/news/steam-removes-digital-homicide-games-223337309.html

Made Yahoo front page. Steam apparently banhamemred all of Digi Hom. I'm sure this will reflect poorly on them in Jim's case.

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
Maybe they like me because I gave them some free code to fix their health bug in Slaughtering Grounds :D

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'd love to be the judge that presides over this case because if I was I'd fine Digital Homicide $50,000 for wasting my time.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Laughing Man said:
Love the reaction from Valve on this.
(sarcasmm on)Yeah Valve are real champs here.(sarcasm off) This company has been shovelling shite on to their store front for the last two years and Valve has sat back and let it happen without lifting a finger but the second they ask Valve to hand over the details of some users who posted 'poor' reviews on their comments and review sections...

Valve are just as liable for this whole heap of nonsense by having zero QC control over what was going on within it's Greenlight Store, this whole saga could have been put down by Valve themselves over a year and a half ago when the fifth or sixth load of shitware in 3 months was being posted to their Greenlight service, but no as long as DH paid the upload fees Valve were happy to sit back and let this entire shit show fester.

On a side note I haven't seen any info about who they are trying to sue beyond 'they are suing Steam users / reviewers' but from what I have read in the past some of the 'reviews' being posted on their game pages would (under new laws in the UK) have resulted in criminal action being taken against the reviewer, THAT is how extreme some of the stuff being said was.

End of the day, this entire thing could have been stopped by Valve over a year ago.
I hate to be negative but... yeah, pretty much. Removing their games is the absolute bare minimum that Valve could do. Their obligated to protect their customers, and so far they haven't done a good job of that at all. Sure the lawsuit is frivolous, but it doesn't look good on valve when devs are actively suing their user base. Maybe they'll see this as a wake up call.

Besides, if enough people get scared a settle then this could still be lucrative for Digihomicide.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Fox12 said:
Laughing Man said:
Besides, if enough people get scared a settle then this could still be lucrative for Digihomicide.
Thankfully since most of the users they're suing are fictitious pseudonyms, no actual consequence would be acted upon the average person, and commentators can be content to hide behind Valve whom do not stand for this nonsense. Nothing can be gained by Digihom but additional notoriety and delusional hassle.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
I just thought of an end goal that Digital Homicide could have been working toward. Steam comments was a means to get this in the public... but what if they was hoping to flop so hard that the vulture commenters would attack them on a website they DID know the names and addresses of, and could sue?

Hell especially for harassment..

Say, what if they're just collecting the "Go kill yourselves" of everyone on Facebook. Since they have their stuff on Amazon, they are still a company, and could still sue as one in the state of Arizona. And seeing as they have Facebook commenters names, faces, and in most cases states. They could rewrite their Steam lawsuit, scratch out Steam for Facebook and actually legit sue people with legit harassment comments.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Smithnikov said:

Anyone else wondering if it's all purely for attention at this point?
Unlikely. Judging by the text they have produced verbally and in written form they are incoherent idiots. There is probably no plan of any sort. Even if Romine was able of being honest with himself and others he probably still couldn't tell you himself why he is doing any of this.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I didn't go near their games on Steam, but I did say 'mean things' about DigiHom's titles on forums. Maybe I'll see some action when they decide to sue random people on the internet :D

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Armadox said:
I just thought of an end goal that Digital Homicide could have been working toward. Steam comments was a means to get this in the public... but what if they was hoping to flop so hard that the vulture commenters would attack them on a website they DID know the names and addresses of, and could sue?

Hell especially for harassment..

Say, what if they're just collecting the "Go kill yourselves" of everyone on Facebook. Since they have their stuff on Amazon, they are still a company, and could still sue as one in the state of Arizona. And seeing as they have Facebook commenters names, faces, and in most cases states. They could rewrite their Steam lawsuit, scratch out Steam for Facebook and actually legit sue people with legit harassment comments.
That would still require idiocy on the part of those individuals to post any personal information on an off-brand site to begin with. People being so free with their information are almost deserving of unwanted attention.