"Dimwit" Defies Death to Work On LittleBigPlanet 2

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Good on him, I hope he has a long productive experience in the games industry.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Yup beautiful stuff, and proof that hard work and creativity trump just having a good grade in history and french.

I'd personally like to see academic results take a bit less importance in life, anyway, what does what you did when you were developing at 16 tell you about a 30something guy? I'm just glad they didn't have some boxticker getting in the way saying 'We like your stuff, it's borderline genius, but we don't hire anyone without at least 5 A grades'.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Beech is an example of the fact that anyone can break into the videogame industry if they try.
But that still can't earn him an understanding girlfriend :/

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
SenseOfTumour said:
Yup beautiful stuff, and proof that hard work and creativity trump just having a good grade in history and french.

I'd personally like to see academic results take a bit less importance in life, anyway, what does what you did when you were developing at 16 tell you about a 30something guy? I'm just glad they didn't have some boxticker getting in the way saying 'We like your stuff, it's borderline genius, but we don't hire anyone without at least 5 A grades'.
Indeed. I can't get past online "checks" with some jobs which means that whilst I might be good for the job, I can't get anywhere with them because this crappy little questionnaire blocks me out.

It's a nice story, and I'm happy for the guy (Especially with respect to everything else), but I think it's important to note that if you want to work in the gaming industry, this way of getting in is not going to work unless you get a chance to prove yourself - And those chances are few and far between. Use this story to inspire yourself and get your modding gloves on, but just don't expect anything from it. For every modder who gets a job in the industry, there's hundreds more who don't.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
That was a great story, it makes me feel a lot better about my chances of getting into the game industry. I don't have a copy of LBP anymore , but i'll be sure to look up his creations as soon as I get LBP2.

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
Nice to see that talent really gets rewarded. Good for you "Dimwit"! ;)
Makes me feel a little better about my job situation.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I got tears in my eyes after reading this. It just goes to show that everyone has hidden talents and this guy was rewarded for his hard work. LBP2 will better with a regular Joe like John on the Media Media Molocule team.

Jun 26, 2009
Wow, yeah he beat my shitty little creations hands down...
I would name them, but then someone may go on them... And I'd have more people knowing how crap I am at it...
I envy his skill greatly.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
This only further pushes my love for Media Molecule, and goes on the list of "Why I support the developers on my 'List of Developers to support' list".

Hman121

Feb 26, 2009
My dad used to work in construction, so I can see how hard the work is. This is truly worthy of a "This made my day" badge.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Film rights are being divvied up, and scripts written!

Seriously though, good on him. Hopefully either the girlfriend has eaten her words or is out on her ass, though.

Rock on, John.

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
Well done, Mr. Beech!

*ahem*

Life's a Beech, then you nearly die... and then Media Molecule hire you for your awesome LittleBigPlanet maps.

Huh.

(Also, see what I did there?)

(I am the pinnacle of witty puns.)

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
To paraphrase Woody Allen, 80% of success is showing up to the interview in your beat up van, the other 20% being your PS3 loaded with a dynamite demo.