DinoPC and other related buyinggamingcollegePC related questions

Bullet Alchemist

Apr 8, 2010
Dearest Escapist friends,

You have helped me before and yet I come begging for help again. I am buying a PC to sate my gaming addiction but also because I sort of need one for college. I am afraid that if I try and run 3DS Max or Maya on my PC it has a high chance of melting..

Anyway my friend recommended me the site DinoPC to buy from, the specs for cost seem good and my friend said he had no problems however the reviews for the site are scattered at best. A almost 50:50 split between "KILL THIS WEBSITE WITH FIRE I HATE IT AND IT STOLE MY MONEY" and "They were great" and so I was wondering if any of you lot had experience with the site.

If not then please leave any helpful hints about buying/building a new computer so I can get my head round this a bit more and sort myself out.

Thank you,

Bullet

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Never heard of PCDino*, but that's probably because I've built all but one of my PCs.

My advice, for someone who doesn't want to build, is find a PC with a good CPU that'll do what they need (since you're going to be doing 3D modeling, I suggest a high-end Intel, but bear in mind Intel costs more) and then upgrade the video card and, if need be, the RAM. RAM is simple to upgrade, just plug it in. No software, drivers, or anything to mess with.

Video cards are different though. It's a pain to upgrade (and since you're going to do gaming and 3D modeling, you'll need a beefy one--or two!), but most off-the-shelf machines come with shit video cards. Even shopping for them is a pain, you really gotta look at the benchmarks on a site like Tom's Hardware or PassMark because you could easily end up way overspending otherwise--or worse, end up with a shit card.

*Oh did you mean Dino PC? [http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Gaming-PCs-c94.htm]