Dire Wolf Project Breeding Pets for Game of Thrones Fans

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
ClockworkUniverse said:
This is horrendous. Lots of people who don't know the first thing about what they actually act like will buy one just as a piece of merchandise, find out that they don't actually enjoy taking care of one, and neglect it or throw it out.

Hmmm, at 3000 a pop, I somehow doubt it.

That much money requieres some serious planning and dedication.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Would rather a sable coloured Finnish Lapphund myself:

You get the wolfy looks with the loving family orientated nature that comes with decades of domestication.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Sorry Sarah, you can't breed dragons, you have to genetically modify fire lizards to get them.

Also, I'd probably just get a husky or something, though there was this one family in town that had a pet wolf... Thing was massive.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Blargh McBlargh said:
kajinking said:
Wait...Owls were a thing? I never really heard about this when Potter was really huge.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-18142411
wow that's sad, you would think some people would realize WHY Owls aren't popular as pets before buying them.

Nachtmahr

Feb 17, 2011
The big bodies of larger breeds do more work than those of smaller dogs. Over the course of their lives this tends to put more stress on the heart, organs, and joints, resulting in statistically shorter life spans.

Pretty disgusted with this. That lifespan goal is a nice dream, but I doubt it will ever be a reality. But I always got the impression that most American dog breeders don't value health very highly when it comes to their animals. All these extreme features. Extreme wrinkliness. Extreme sizes. Extreme everything. Just breed a healthy, happy, normal sized dog with normal features.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
To anyone considering this or any other 'purebred' pet:

Please, *please* seriously examine your motives, and determine why. Is it in any way due to a feeling you anticipate over owning something 'cool', 'unique', or 'sophisticated', which by extension you think would make you 'cool', 'unique' or 'sophisticated'?

Or is it because you want a furry, loving companion, with possible desirable secondary traits such as athleticism (to encourage you to exercise), or protection (sense of security), or farm work (herd assistance)? Because there is no desirable trait one could want, that couldn't be found in a mixed or mutt breed.

'Pure breeding' rarely serves any purpose other than vanity or elitism, and has spawned some of the most horrific canine-oriented problems to date, such as health issues and puppy mills. There are countless thousands of perfectly healthy dogs waiting for adoption who won't be. Consider that.

Yes, I expect this opinion to be savaged with outraged 'pure-breed' enthusiasts. My opinion still stands.

Lonewolfm16

Feb 27, 2012
Considering Dire Wolves supposedly hunted woolly-mammoths in their day I actually wonder how this is going to go.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
With respect, I like collies, huskies, and foxes better. This is an interesting thing, but I have actual coyote to deal with around here.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Hugh Alaskan malamute and German Shepard I would have guessed normal wolf breed and German Shepard. Cool to see there are some die hard fans out there but to be honest normal German Shepards and Alaskan Malamutes are cooler in my opinion.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
kajinking said:
Blargh McBlargh said:
Watch as people get these animals and then get rid of them after a couple of years due to their associated costs.

Same shit happened with owls back when Harry Potter first came out. ;/
Wait...Owls were a thing? I never really heard about this when Potter was really huge.
Yup, and then Britney Spears brought along the Chihuahua craze, and lately afghan hounds have been the go-to pet that later gets dumped because owners vastly underestimated the effort required to take care of them. (sadly it doesn't suffice to walk your wind hound around the block twice a day).

Pink Apocalypse said:
To anyone considering this or any other 'purebred' pet:

Please, *please* seriously examine your motives, and determine why. Is it in any way due to a feeling you anticipate over owning something 'cool', 'unique', or 'sophisticated', which by extension you think would make you 'cool', 'unique' or 'sophisticated'?

Or is it because you want a furry, loving companion, with possible desirable secondary traits such as athleticism (to encourage you to exercise), or protection (sense of security), or farm work (herd assistance)? Because there is no desirable trait one could want, that couldn't be found in a mixed or mutt breed.

'Pure breeding' rarely serves any purpose other than vanity or elitism, and has spawned some of the most horrific canine-oriented problems to date, such as health issues and puppy mills. There are countless thousands of perfectly healthy dogs waiting for adoption who won't be. Consider that.

Yes, I expect this opinion to be savaged with outraged 'pure-breed' enthusiasts. My opinion still stands.
Seconded. If you want a lovable ball of fur, then rescue one from the shelter. If you want a status symbol, buy a fancy car, not a living thing.

Malty Milk Whistle said:
Hmmm, at 3000 a pop, I somehow doubt it.

That much money requieres some serious planning and dedication.
$3000 is pocket change to some. When I studied photography we had a woman come by one day, asking for some feedback on a new camera. She was about to drop just short of 10k on what appeared to be a rather casual hobby.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Blargh McBlargh said:
Watch as people get these animals and then get rid of them after a couple of years due to their associated costs.

Same shit happened with owls back when Harry Potter first came out. ;/
]

True but owls and pretty much any bird are way harder to take care of compared to a 'direwolf' which is just a dog. Dogs are pretty low maintenance, feed them, give em water and give them attention. Hell you don't even have to give them attention they're just happy to be with you.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Only downside I can see, is that some people might mistake them for actual wolves or coyotes. Especially in rural areas this could possibly lead to farmers shooting any stray or free roaming Alsatian dogs. Urban areas might potentially be worse when you start getting "Wolf" sightings from people who don't know their domestic, which will of course be annoying as hell.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
albino boo said:
rofltehcat said:
As long as they are peaceful, great idea. $3000 might sound a bit steep at first but compared to other "pure" dog breeds, it's not that much more and I doubt they are getting rich breeding them. At their weight they surely eat a lot.

Their life expectancy goal of 15-20 years is interesting... most big dog breeds don't live that long.

captcha:
save our bluths
wat?
and
Padwolf said:
I would love one of those. I really would. If only I had the money. Well, maybe one day! I can keep on dreaming! It's nice to know that this exists though. The lifespan is fantastic, 15 - 20 years is amazing for any dog.

Most pure dog breads have been bread for particular characteristics in manor that is not the best for there health and life expectancy. Many pure breads suffer from horrible genetic abnormalities which significantly impact their quality and length of life. http://idid.vet.cam.ac.uk/search.php

Now I have 40kg ish (~90lbs) welsh foxhound who is 16. Yes he is old and isn't as fast as he used to be but because he hasn't been bread to a standard he is still going strong. Monty is pretty much the same general purpose medieval hunting dog when they were first mentioned over 1000 years ago. So an age of 15-20 isn't that unreasonable.

So an age goal of 15-20 isn't that far out of range.
That does sound good. I was worried that this breed would have some type of medical condition common to it. But if they are breeding the way you mention, then they should be fine.

I may still wait 5 or 10 years for them to work out the breed a bit more though.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
This is some disturbing shit. Hopefully it doesn't take off and people who are interested in pets will adopt an animal in need of a loving home at a pound or shelter instead of trying to get some living merchandise to pretend they're on the Wall when walking the dog.

Fluffythepoo

Sep 29, 2011
i got my husky at the pound for 20 bucks... he runs with us on 100km+ snowmobile trips, catches rabbits/gofers/pests stupid enough to come in our yard, hell charge a bear and bite it right on its ass as it runs away, and if you forget him outside in a -60 (before the windchill) blizzard he just sits majestically in the snow not giving a fuck.... dire wolves got nothin on dogs that are actually of the north. plus the whole 1/150th price things is nice

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I think the most worrying thing is likely to be that Game of Thrones fans probably aren't the most outdoorsy of people, and these big dogs require lots of exercise.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
The previous posters are correct. Please look up the term Puppy Mills before you go out and buy a pure-bred dog. As well as all the health issues that pure breeds generally have.

Not all pure bred dogs will have these issues obviously but many if not most will. Many debilitating diseases and conditions can arise, leg, hip, eye, ear, and heart problems are only naming a few and if you don't have health insurance for the dog it can be quite costly just to fix the problems on the dog you already spent upwards of 500-2000 dollars for.

On the opposite end, shelters have good young to old dogs that need a home, that aren't likely to get nearly as many diseases or conditions and are already generally well behaved and house trained.

http://www.petfinder.com/

The link above connects hundreds of pet shelters to one site. Please look at that BEFORE going out and buying a puppy.