Director Envisions Uncharted As The Sopranos

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
No, director envisions a movie of his own, publishers are sticking the Uncharted name on it to sell.
This is exactly why such bad game/movie transitions are made.

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
"So, you're making an Uncharted movie?"

"Yes, sir"

"what are you gonna do with it?"

"Well, first off, I'm gonna flip off the fans, cuz this is my movie now and I can. Then I'm gonna turn Nathan Drake into a douche..."

"he was already kind of a douche, but a lovable one

"no, see that's what they're expecting. This guy? Total douche. and there's gonna be some shit from some other sources that I'm gonna throw in there to make it not make sense. Oh, and he's a little overweight and doesn;t jump around like spider man. It's gonna be awesome!"

This is what happened to "The Last Airbender. Use the source material, it's there for gods sake, and make a good damn movie about it, is it really as hard as people make it out to be?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
sylekage said:
"So, you're making an Uncharted movie?"

"Yes, sir"

"what are you gonna do with it?"

"Well, first off, I'm gonna flip off the fans, cuz this is my movie now and I can. Then I'm gonna turn Nathan Drake into a douche..."

"he was already kind of a douche, but a lovable one

"no, see that's what they're expecting. This guy? Total douche. and there's gonna be some shit from some other sources that I'm gonna throw in there to make it not make sense. Oh, and he's a little overweight and doesn;t jump around like spider man. It's gonna be awesome!"

This is what happened to "The Last Airbender. Use the source material, it's there for gods sake, and make a good damn movie about it, is it really as hard as people make it out to be?
You'd be surprised...

Anyways, im not feeling it man. Someone needs to smack this guy and tell him how to do this shit right.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
First off WTF is this?

Secondly I hope Uncharted doesn't turn out like The Godfather. The first two are ground breaking modern classics, and the third is an overly long disappointment.

Also I hope Marky Mark isn't going to be Drake. I want Stargate Atlantis' Joe Flanigan.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
megs1120 said:
Jesus Christ, if the movie is going to be so different, why don't they just create their own IP and leave Uncharted well enough alone?
Well how to put it... money, money, money!
Uncharted already has a fanbase, thus anything named after it will sell simply on that name, no matter what it will be.

How come noone is making a Call of Duty movie tho... damn I'm off to write a script.

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I can understand how they do this to comic book movies, cause they want it to appeal to wider audiences. But Uncharted itself was a very movie-like experience so what the hell is this guy trying to prove? Comparing Uncharted to Sopranos isn't "taking it to the new level" but stretching it way too thin. Doesn't make any sense and it will totally screw up the movie. My expectations were already pretty low when he cast Whalberg as Drake, and with this they completely dropped. I seriously wonder what Naughty Dog has to say about this.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Every time I read about this fiasco it makes me want to see it less. And I didn't want to see it to begin with.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
naughtydoggus said:
Here's a simple 3 step process to how to make a good Uncharted movie:

Step #1: Cast Nathan Fillion (who already WANTED the part to begin with) as Nathan Drake.

Step #2: Get Nathan Fillion to go on a diet, get back to his Firefly weight, and use hair and clothes to make him look exactly like Nathan Drake.

Step #3: Cut and Paste Amy Henning's origional script from Drake's Fortune and put it in the screenplay.
You know, as much as I'm sure that wouldn't work at all for a movie, I'd watch that just to see it collapse under it's own weight and Fillion's charisma. I'm not a fan of Mark Wahlberg (I'm British, and what he acted in was not The Italian Job) and I can't say I'm a fan of turning this into a movie at all, so I think I'll wait for it to grace the bargain bucket.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Mr.K. said:
megs1120 said:
Jesus Christ, if the movie is going to be so different, why don't they just create their own IP and leave Uncharted well enough alone?
Well how to put it... money, money, money!
Uncharted already has a fanbase, thus anything named after it will sell simply on that name, no matter what it will be.

How come noone is making a Call of Duty movie tho... damn I'm off to write a script.
Holy crap, yes, let's brainstorm!

Sergeant Oscar "Mike" Duty thought he had seen it all, the harshest terrain, the most awesome weapons, the most deadly adversaries. Then one day, he got a call that would change his life forever and make him face the one thing he wasn't ready for...

A tweenage daughter!

And now he's going to find out just what he's made of!

Shia LaBeouf stars in... Call of Duty

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
...Why? No seriously, why? Christ, I'm beginining to think this would have been better if it was directed by UWE BOLL (Thunderous undertones).

Just once, JUST ONCE, I would like to see Hollywood adapt something without totally disregarding the source material.

This shows just how good it was that the Metal Gear Solid movie got axed.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
"They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice," he said. "I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling."

Way to boil two really excellent female characters down to tits on legs, you fucking jackass.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
"They're like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice," he said. "I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling."

Way to boil two really excellent female characters down to tits on legs, you fucking jackass.
That statement has turned my opinion on Russel in a complete 180.

OT: Yeah, not feeling it. I mean, really? They're doing a family angle? You don't need a whole family of thieves or whatever, you've got perfect chemistry with a tight cast. Drake and Sully are like father and son, Elena and Drake bounce off each other with their on/off romance, Sully and Elena...well, I dunno, you could make something out of that.

You don't always need to follow the source material all the time, there's obviously going to be some adaptation decay [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AdaptationDecay] between video game and movie. There can be certain freedoms and liberties a director can make. But this? I don't see any charting, I don't see any Indianas here, I don't see anything that's related to Uncharted. Of all the movies you'd think would be the easiest to transfer to a movie, you'd think the Uncharted series would be ripe for the picking because, you know, they're practically movies already!

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Pffft!

This is gonna be the biggest joke in game-movie adaptations ever. It'll go down in textbooks as the quintessential example of "how not to adapt anything." Even if it's technically more competent than Uwe Boll's movies and has a better cast, it's still making all the same alienating, inexcusably dumb mistakes.

Imagine if I were doing a Spider-Man movie, but instead of using the backstory in the comics--either the Ultimate or normal universe--I said "screw it" and cast Johnny Depp as a luchador who decides to go to America to fight crime as "The Crimson Spider," and cast Leonardo DiCaprio as his rival, another wrestler CALLED "Venom" in the ring but not actually having anything to do with Venom's backstory in the comics, and then George Clooney as Jay Jonah Jameson, his manager, and just for good measure I threw in a cameo by Sean Connery as Mephisto, a retired wrestler to whom The Crimson Spider sells his soul to get back the woman he loves. No amount of star power in the WORLD can make a change like that seem anything other than condescending and disrespectful to its original audience, not to mention outright silly.

hewmanzi

Feb 14, 2011
This idea could work but the directer has to take careful steps not to ruin it. Art and artifact theft is a huge problem in the archaeological world and a family that runs that kind of business could be likened to a mob family. I see Drake as kind of an anti Indiana Jones who finds rare relics with out any scientific motives and in the case of being in an art theft family he would have learned the trade from his elders. Since Nathan?s family is not mentioned in the games this is a good chance to delve deeper into the character?s history. He could have had a falling out with his family and the movie could be about an interaction that he has with them and the difference in views that they share. He could have left the family to join Sully and now his old family looks at him as a rival.

How ever the family CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT be of Italian ancestry this would completely contradict the fact that Nathan is related to Francis Drake (a famous british explorer and privateer). I cannot put into words how ridiculous it would be for them to be Italian.

But over all i do agree that this idea does not capture the original feel of the games and that the directer is not paying much attention to us fans of the game. With this idea he has very little margin for error and will have to play all of his cards right. Ill keep my fingers crossed but scream bloody murder if the movie sucks.

P.S. Nathan Fillion rocks