Director Eyeing Scarlett Johannson to Play Elena in Uncharted Film

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Seriously? Why do we need an Uncharted film?
What, for the people who really want to know the story but don't like games?
I don't get it.
Why don't we need it?

It's not like anyone forces you to watch it. For one thing, I'll be able to show it to my mom, who's interested in the game but can't handle more than two buttons at once.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Centrophy said:
Still don't care... and I won't as long as they continue writing it like National Treasure.
That's pretty much where I'm at as well.

Everything I've heard/read about this movie doesn't make sense to me at all. They're missing the mark already in the first stage of development.

I don't expect a frame-for-frame type rehash of Drake's Fortune, but I DO expect them to capture as much of the games story and feel as possible, that goes for casting as well. Just the thought of Marky Mark over someone like Fillion (yes haters, eat me) is laughable. ScarJo could work though, she's done good...but she's done bad as well.

Rigor Morty

Aug 18, 2010
"I think I've added a lot of dimension to her so that's all I'm going to say"

wait what?
honestly. im getting sick of Johannson. sure shes hot, but shes just everywhere. in fact i just dont want to see this movie made the way its going. sigh.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
SpiderJerusalem said:
Your point of a proper action director is soured by giving the example of John Moore, a man who's previous films have received tepid responses at best for directing two bland, cookie cutter action films with about as much life in them as roadkill. Seriously, if you're going to bring up good action directors, let's hear it for Martin Campbell or John McTiernan, people with an idea on pacing action, not some hack who managed to blow not one, or two, but three big budget films and made a sure fire thing like Max Payne DULL.

You're also brandishing that "oscar nominee" thing around like a last straw, but is that really what you're gonna go with? Considering that there are already more than enough people clamoring against Russel getting nominated over the likes of more talented filmmakers like Nolan or Mishôd, I wouldn't put too much stock in just that single nom. Especially not after a movie like The Fighter.

Because I know that it WILL get made and since the source material is fantastic, and every other video game film has been a disaster, that it would be a nice change of pace to get a great adventure film out of the source. But seeing as Russel has only talked about making the film into a family drama with little to do with Uncharted in the first place, there's little more that can be done than voice my displeasure - especially on a geek forum created for the purpose of voicing opinions.
You mean John McTiernan, the man who brought us Rollerball and Basic? Or Martin Campbell, the man who brought us a Mel Gibson revenge pic, the first truly boring Bond film, and The Mask of Zorro? Almost every director has some garbage in his filmography and the relative lack thereof in Russell's is noteworthy. Anyways, I'm done trying to debate you on taste because it's like reading Armond White. The "brandishing" of awards and other opinions is just to show I'm not alone in enjoying that particular director's work. If I were arguing for Transformers, I would bring that up there, too.

The assertion that this WILL be made is not necessarily accurate. Whatever happened to that John Woo Metroid movie? Or look at Nailed, which David O. Russell made with Jessica Biel and Jake Gyllenhaal which is practically finished and is probably never going to come out. Video game movies are historically unsafe investments and if Sony thought for a second that they might lose money, they wouldn't make it. I feel like we have a much better chance of getting a quality movie on the basis of one talented (he is) guy's ideas, rather than taking input from people who have no experience making movies. Fortunately, it looks like that's what is happening anyways.

King_Serpent

GUY YOU DON'T KNOW
Jul 12, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
zelda2fanboy said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
Sorry if the man didn't make movies that fit within your narrow spectrum of what qualifies as good, but David O Russell's films, whether you like it or not, are a part of film history now and are accepted (not just by fans like me and others on this board, but multiple professional organizations) as quality works of art. Even former president Bill Clinton has publicly praised Three Kings, even if it had "mediocre directing" (whatever you think that means)..
Narrow spectrum? I'm surprised your managing to read so much into my posts, it would be applaudable if it wasn't so stupid.

By your logic, by the way, Transformers also belongs to history as a quality work of art, considering all the praise and love from a former president.

Meanwhile (thanks to a little imdb), Max Payne was made by a "proper action director," John Moore, whose other credits include Behind Enemy Lines and Flight of the Phoenix. By your measure, that guy with those two movies under his belt has a better pedigree to get a shot at the movie than an oscar nominee. And if it's the studio that makes the difference, Fox made Max Payne and Sony's making Uncharted. The only tenuous connection these two movies have to each other is Mark Wahlberg.
Your point of a proper action director is soured by giving the example of John Moore, a man who's previous films have received tepid responses at best for directing two bland, cookie cutter action films with about as much life in them as roadkill. Seriously, if you're going to bring up good action directors, let's hear it for Martin Campbell or John McTiernan, people with an idea on pacing action, not some hack who managed to blow not one, or two, but three big budget films and made a sure fire thing like Max Payne DULL.

You're also brandishing that "oscar nominee" thing around like a last straw, but is that really what you're gonna go with? Considering that there are already more than enough people clamoring against Russel getting nominated over the likes of more talented filmmakers like Nolan or Mishôd, I wouldn't put too much stock in just that single nom. Especially not after a movie like The Fighter.

I mean if you don't think this movie should even be made, why do you even care the slightest bit who's in it, writing it, or directing it? Don't go see it.
Because I know that it WILL get made and since the source material is fantastic, and every other video game film has been a disaster, that it would be a nice change of pace to get a great adventure film out of the source. But seeing as Russel has only talked about making the film into a family drama with little to do with Uncharted in the first place, there's little more that can be done than voice my displeasure - especially on a geek forum created for the purpose of voicing opinions.
Calm down it is a movie. People like the director so why be so harsh about it. Just say it might be bad, but really attacking the director the way you are doing just makes you out to be a prejudiced simpleton (which I assume your not). The director has proven to be competent in structuring movies from all appearances and even if some think that his nomination to the Oscars is a bad deal, that does not move him down to trash instantly. I really don?t care about this movie in any way its Indian Jones remade to me, but ranting and insulting the people for disagreeing with you is too much. The movie has no set plans from what I understand and to make judgments now is silly.

Overall, calm down people like this director and nothing will change that fact. Give the director a fair shake and state your points fairly please.

(remember I do not think that you?re dumb or unusually antagonistic you just got caught up in a moment of proving how bad a movie in one moment and then some one questioned you in a harsh manner. After that you spent time to prove the guy wrong, but came off a little bit rude)

I do understand why you think the movie will be bad. I do not think highly of it at this point, but I will wait until I see details before making a real judgment.

And after this I probably will not respond if an argument ensues.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I'm actually looking forward to it, but I'm hoping it will be good. xD Also..

cavalierchen28 said:
Boo. I want Nathan Fillion and Emily Rose!
I also want Nathon Fillion! :0 I think he'd be awesome. (Don't know who Emily Rose is though :l)

I'm not a fan of Scarlet, >_> and to be honest that picture in the article scares me, so I kinda hope it isn't her. You never know, movie make-up may fix that scary-ness <.<

Edit: Just googled Mark Wahlberg and he does kinda look like Nathan Drake, if you squint. xD I just hope he has the right kind of acting for get Nate's personality :3

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I wonder if the film will be like the game? Repetitive with tons of big rooms with pillars/boxes to hide behind while people flood you.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
tghm1801 said:
Oh dear.
No. Just, no.
She's too... glamorous.
My thoughts exactly. If you ask me she's one of the most gorgeous women on the planet, and in this case that's exactly the problem. She's just...well, too much to portray the regular-girl-next-door type Elena is, I think at least. Plus, can she act the mouthy and sassy part well enough?
Belladonnah said:
Greg Tito said:
So does that mean that Robert De Niro will play Sully? The family aspect certainly points to the dynamic in Drake's Fortune.

What do you think about Scarlett Johansson as Elena? Does that fit your image of her from the game?
Both of these would fit perfectly, and having such a cast would mean the movie would have a chance to be the first genuinely good non-animated game to movie crossover. Freakin Robert de Niro? Do want!

I don't like Mark for the lead tho, Fillion would be a better fit and he even wanted to do it badly!
Mister De Niro doesn't even remotely come close to Sully. You know who'd be an awesome Sully? Spiderman's J.K Simmons. Just look at the guy:

He's good the looks and he's got the attitude.

Now I'm reminded of Spiderman anyway, I'd reckon Kirsten Durst would make a better Elena than Johannson.
SpiderJerusalem said:
But seeing as Russel has only talked about making the film into a family drama with little to do with Uncharted in the first place
Woah woah woooaaaah! Saywhatnow? I sure hope not, care to back that statement up? That'd make me a sad sad panda, to see something with so much potential screwed up so bad.
-Drifter- said:
People seem to have a thing for Scarlet. I don't get it, myself. Saw her in Iron Man 2 and thought she was just weird looking.
Volumptous curves that are a throwback to the pin-up days during the 50's, almost the opposite of the oh so fashionable bodyshape that is a stick with tits. Many people love Christina Hendricks [http://cdn.wg.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/joan-mad-men.jpg] for the same reason, gods I can't wait for the next season of Mad Men...

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
I'd not like Scarlett to play the part because while Elena was "hot" it was more in a "girl next door tom boyish" kind of way that Scarlett doesn't suit, because she is often spoke of as one of the hottest women on the planet by others.

I'd rather not have Mark Warhlberg (probably an awful spelling but I don't care) either, but out of the two names said Amy Adams suits a lot better, just die the hair blonde, problem solved.

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Belladonnah said:
Greg Tito said:
So does that mean that Robert De Niro will play Sully? The family aspect certainly points to the dynamic in Drake's Fortune.

What do you think about Scarlett Johansson as Elena? Does that fit your image of her from the game?
Both of these would fit perfectly, and having such a cast would mean the movie would have a chance to be the first genuinely good non-animated game to movie crossover. Freakin Robert de Niro? Do want!

I don't like Mark for the lead tho, Fillion would be a better fit and he even wanted to do it badly!
Mister De Niro doesn't even remotely come close to Sully. You know who'd be an awesome Sully? Spiderman's J.K Simmons. Just look at the guy:

He's good the looks and he's got the attitude.

Now I'm reminded of Spiderman anyway, I'd reckon Kirsten Durst would make a better Elena than Johannson.
I'm not saying De Niro looks like Sully, and that guy certainly looks a lot more like Sully, but De Niro is one of the best actors ever still working, and not only that, he brings something special to an otherwise bland role. And if I never knew about the Uncharted franchise at all, and saw a trailer for it, De Niro means an instant "must see" status. That guy just reminds me of "stereotypical raging idiot", which is funny but forgettable.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Ironic Pirate said:
GonzoGamer said:
I don't get it.
Why don't we need it?

It's not like anyone forces you to watch it. For one thing, I'll be able to show it to my mom, who's interested in the game but can't handle more than two buttons at once.
Good point, they should make a lock-on feature for that game. Optional of course: people still go ballistic when a gta game has lock on.

What I was trying to point out is that they try to make the game so much like a movie, I don't really see much point in making a movie.

Even crazier are the rumors of a Heavy Rain movie. That game IS actually more movie than game. I felt like I was playing with interactive dvd features the whole time.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
Ironic Pirate said:
GonzoGamer said:
I don't get it.
Why don't we need it?

Good point, they should make a lock-on feature for that game. Optional of course: people still go ballistic when a gta game has lock on.

What I was trying to point out is that they try to make the game so much like a movie, I don't really see much point in making a movie.

Even crazier are the rumors of a Heavy Rain movie. That game IS actually more movie than game. I felt like I was playing with interactive dvd features the whole time.
Only if the lock-on was optional, I find it disorienting.

Maybe as some kind of reward? Kill two guys quickly, and get lock-on juice? Could be called adrenaline or something, maybe it could be used with melee or platforming, too.

Eh, probably a dumb idea. Doesn't really fit the series.

Maybe it could be like RDR? You set your own aim mode? Only problem is that Expert still had auto-aim.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
Vivace-Vivian said:
I vote no movie, but if they have to why don't they just have the actual voice actor play her?

Or are they just that STUPID?
yes, very

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
She's a big name with big boobs. I'm sure that's as far the casting preferences went. Along with Mark Wahlberg, Scarlett Johannson is also completely miscast as a playful snark.

Then again, I have to remind myself that this movie isn't made for me.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Centrophy said:
Still don't care... and I won't as long as they continue writing it like National Treasure.
Wouldn't it be great if they got Nicolas Cage to play Nathan Drake
and Jon Turteltaub could direct it

but seriously news of this movie just pisses me off
the game is basically just National Treasure mixed with Resident Evil 4

I mean fuck, this is Naughty Dog we're talking about. If they really wanted to make a movie based on one of their games Jak and Daxter is right there