Director Gives Insight into Process of Creating Rampage Movie

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Director Gives Insight into Process of Creating Rampage Movie

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1364/1364611.jpg

Brad Peyton makes big promises for the Rampage movie.

Last year, Rampage [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/brad+peyton][/i] movie.

You remember Rampage, right? You picked one of three monsters and destroyed buildings and ate people. It was lots of fun back in the day. Well, We Got This Covered [http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/brad-peyton-says-rampage-adaptation-will-emotional-scary-real/] recently asked him about bringing that sort of video game to the big screen, and this is what he said:

With Rampage, we are using our love of the original game as our inspiration. Then we're going to build a movie, like San Andreas, that is really going to surprise people in what it delivers. It's going to be a lot more emotional, a lot scarier, and a lot more real than you'd expect. So you look at that original concept about a lab that affects these animals and makes them rampage, and that's the nugget. If they called me tomorrow to do Call of Duty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/call+of+duty], I wouldn't want to play any of the Call of Duty games. I'd have to come up with something that deserves to be its own thing. That's where a lot of these movies can go wrong.

I'm really excited about Rampage. It's a monster film, so the stuff that I did on Incarnate [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarnate_(film)], stretching my muscles in the horror space helped. This "small, character piece" with horror in it trained me to get ready for [Rampage]. Obviously, it's a much bigger movie and it's meant for a broader audience, but there still horror elements, there's still a monster movie at the core. And I get to work with Dwayne [Johnson] again, I'm so excited about it.

I think it's interesting that he thinks not experiencing the source material makes for a better movie, and also that he thinks San Andreas was able to "surprise people."

Peyton's next film, Incarnate, hits American cinemas this weekend, while the next video game adaptation, Assassin's Creed [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin's_Creed_(film)], opens in late December.

Source: We Got This Covered [http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/brad-peyton-says-rampage-adaptation-will-emotional-scary-real/]

[gallery=6643]

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
"So you look at that original concept about a lab that affects these animals and makes them rampage"

Were the Characters in Rampage not transformed humans?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
...is it really too hard to come up with "a bunch of giant monsters fight and destroy shit for 90 minutes"?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
So they do the Uwe Boll approach of adaptation - something that on a single shot has some vague resemblence to the source material and that's it, otherwise it has nothing to do with it and might as well be called something else and nobody would notice.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Devin Barker said:
Yes. Yes they were. In all versions.

With Rampage, we are using our love of the original game as our inspiration.
..."Our love"...

If they called me tomorrow to do Call of Duty, I wouldn't want to play any of the Call of Duty games. I'd have to come up with something that deserves to be its own thing. That's where a lot of these movies can go wrong.
...Of... a game, I'd read from this, that he's never played?

I'm confused. What, you love watching other people play it? You love the cabinet art?

The thing about the arcade game Rampage is, it's the monsters who are the bigger-than-life personalities. The humans are all more-or-less indistinguishable cannon fodder. There are a couple of people in the original who can be carried around for a while to gain some bonus points, but even that's only until they start resisting, and then you typically drop them and eat them.

Rampage World Tour had the pin-uppy scientist (who someone, somewhat to my amazement, apparently managed to cobble together something resembling a back-story around) and the (even more thinly characterized) CEO of "Scumlabs". But it's still really about the monsters, not the humans. The humans have about as much to do with the game as the intermission scenes in Pac-Man.

It's not exactly surprising or any more depressing than usual that a video game is being mined for a little bit of name-recognition/brand loyalty, given that it's been more than a decade since said game has seen any actual franchise releases. But it doesn't exactly fill me with an urgent need to see it, either.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Devin Barker said:
"So you look at that original concept about a lab that affects these animals and makes them rampage"

Well, technically, humans are animals. And I suppose a lab could irradiate a lake. And it's really stretching things, but said lab could also release an... um... "erroneous" multi-vitamin. But I don't know of any labs that make sausage. Mister Peyton is not exactly filling me with confidence, here.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Here is the process.
"Watch godzilla, watch king kong. Toss together. Take a nap. Get paid."

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
This doesn't need to be emotional, scary, and real. It needs to be a dark comedy in the vein of Mars Attacks or it's gonna be generic crap.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Worgen said:
Here is the process.
"Watch godzilla, watch king kong. Toss together. Take a nap. Get paid."
Don't forget the Wolfman.
The Hungry Samurai said:
This doesn't need to be emotional, scary, and real. It needs to be a dark comedy in the vein of Mars Attacks or it's gonna be generic crap.
SEE!? THIS GUY GETS IT! Rampage's story would ideally be told by a bunch of people either taking things seriously or not reacting at all. I say that because in the games you can find people just going about their day as if there aren't a trio of man-eating monsters smashing the city. What you could use that to say, I don't know, but it's better than what these guys are doing.