Director: Next Resident Evil Movie Will End the Series

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Andrew Siribohdi said:
If you're a fan of the Resident Evil video game franchise: what are your opinions of these films?
I think the first movie is awesome. One of the main things I like is the score by Marilyn Manson and how it worked with the movie. There is nothing particularly "wrong" with the rest of the movies, but there is no way to get invested in the character, no drama. And the thing is, the action and setting are cool enough, if they added even just a hint more character drama, these movies would be awesome. Kind of the exact opposite of the Underworld series. They go for too much character drama(which only worked in the third one without the main cast), and the rest of the movie suffers for it.

I will see this, if for no other reason than I have seen all the rest.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Mahorfeus said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
If you're a fan of the Resident Evil video game franchise: what are your opinions of these films?
The movies strike me as a massive Mary Sue fanfic of the Resident Evil universe. The world pretty much revolves around the original character, Alice, and all the named characters from the video games do little else but stand around in awe of how amazing she is.
That's what happens when the star is married to the Director.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
it'll end the series...up until Anderson and Jovovich realize all their other films tank because they're a couple of talentless hacks with no recognition on their own.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Red Letter Media (the 70-minute Phantom Menace review guys) sat down and watched RE 1-4 in a marathon, then reviewed RE5 here:

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-resident-evil-series/

(Spoiler: lots of guffawing.)

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Its about time...the first movie was fine, the second was beyond trash, the rest have been *at best* guilty pleasure. It's really time to close the book on these films

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
Resident Evil movies are Resident Evil in name-only.

I thought that every single one of the movies was awful, the only thing i liked about them was the Slipknot song My Plague associated with them :D

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good. because they suck. as a action movie they do fine but based to the game as a horror movie, not even remotely close.
the only good thing about the movies are milla, because she is hot and kicks ass.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
GoodNewsOke said:
Good. Maybe then we could get a reboot that stays a bit closer to the games?
There have been 2 Capcom CGI Resident Evil movies released so far (Resident Evil: Degeneration and Resident Evil: Damnation). Both are far superior to the live action series.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Amen. Maybe this time when they reboot it we will have the version with the script from freaking ROMERO that Capcom rejected now that the company is on sale.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Five movies too late....four if I'm feeling generous.

harrisonmcgiggins said:
Good god, another one?

I stopped watching after I realized the franchise turned into a "girl power" movie that guest starred a few zombies.
Not even so much "girl power" as they are "my wife is the best" making her perfect and invincible even without powers.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
They are basically fanfiction.
Really bad Mary-Sue fanfiction that takes familiar settings and characters and has them sit on the background while the writer's original character Alice is cool.
They also have no internal consistency or logic, so they totally fail even as stand-alone movies.

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
Its been a while since the last one from what I remember and honestly surprised that the movie series needed one final installment.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I enjoy the Resident Evil movies--well, except for 3. That one seemed to fall squarely into the line of "Let's see how many main characters we can kill off," and I don't like that. But I do enjoy these movies. They're stupid fun, and it's nice to see famous scenes from the video games recreated on film. Wesker sunglasses to the face for the WIN!

All that being said, I'm glad this will be the last one. I feel the series had its fun and it's now time to call it a night (when you start bringing dead characters back just for fun, then time's up...). Plus, with the way the last one ended, that kind of sets up the final match. And the final match better just be one glorious, zombie-slaughtering beat down. Those last few seconds of the last film were freaking amazing and that's the type of zombie movie I want to see.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Mixed emotions about this. On one hand: mmmm, Milla. Plus I LOVED the first movie, and will still watch it anytime. The latter flicks were certainly weaker, but I generally still have a little fun watching them.

That being said, it really is time to retire the series. Let folks move on and perhaps reboot the series in a decade (if it is still relevant). Find some better scripts and run with it/them.

I just need some suspense with this final movie. Rely less on the FX and make the thing as scary as the first couple of games were.
(Basically do what this series and the Silent Hill movies have failed to do.)

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm always glad to see when a group of filmmakers know when to stop. It's like Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter and The Final Destination, the series was growing stale and the creators put an end to it, with their intentions of stopping right there in the title.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No worse than the actual games.

Sorry, RE4. I had to. You're the black sheep of the family that everyone likes, myself included.

Resident Evil is pretty much cult in terms of the games. People play it BECAUSE they've grown hokey on us. It doesn't matter if the movies have as much wrong or right with 'em as the games. They're creepy action flicks.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
The films are meh the first one is watchable but the others ...errhhh.

I am a fan of the RE games up to and including 4, 5 was a decent action game and the less said about 6 the better ( apart form ada's missions that are quite good)

Darwinism

Jun 15, 2014
I like the people defending the games as somehow better in quality than the movies. Here's the thing: the movies are more faithful to the games than people want to admit. The games are full of terrible writing, Mary Sues, and general idiocy. Just like the movies. Granted, most of the Mary Sue is one person in the movies but I dare you to tell me that the core crew of the games aren't Mary Sues - watch the intro to Code Veronica, or how Leon Kennedy is the only dude sent in to rescue the President's daughter because he's just that good, or how Chris Redfield punches a boulder out of the way, or how Wesker does pretty much anything at all.

-edit: As a clarification, the crew in the RE games are Mary Sues because it's repeatedly demonstrated and outright said that they're the only ones ~special~ enough to do this for whatever reasons. Sure, some of it is partly because the games need to work, but goddamn the characters from the first few games are nearly elevated to sainthood by the time RE4 rolls around.